Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not my normal Porsche restoration....Mercedes 230SL

My game..saving Porsches FHernand's Avatar

Not my normal Porsche restoration....Mercedes 230SL

I went ahead and jumped the fence to do a 1964 Mercedes 230SL. Still German and quite enjoyble and that. Challenging to work on aluminum doors, hood, and trunk lid. I found so many similarities in body construction to that of a 911. Super sexy car with amazing body lines. I have to confess, however, did not drive like my 911...

VINTAGE SPORTSCAR RESTORATIONS INC.
    www.vsrestorations.com
    Phoenix OREGON
    Freddie Hernandez
    freddie@vsrestorations.com
    (541) 535-3304
    www.facebook.com/VintageSportscarRestorations

Freddie.
    Your 230SL is beautiful. It's a wonderful car to own. I own a 65 230SL and have enjoyed the ownership experience. They may not drive like a 911, but the build quality and attention to detail is second to none. It's like a Rolex on wheels.
    Your car's color looks similair to mine which is Light Ivory.

I think they are absolutely beautiful, a design triumph by Bracq. These lines are so minimal and clean and the pagoda roof is ingenious.

However, I drove a 280SL automatic and it did not live up to the looks: One of the cars you always wish would have a tad more horses under the hood. It is sporting but not sporty.

Do you guys know how many came with the ZF 5 speed?

Mike
    Mike Baum #505

57 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint
    60 Citroën ID
    61 Lancia Appia Vignale Convertibile
    64 Alfa Romeo Giulia TI
    66 Lancia Flavia Sport Zagato
    69 911S Targa (Soft Window)
    72 Alfa Romeo Junior Zagato 1600

Guys, you are so dead on on this car. It is an amazing piece of machinery. What the car lacks in power...which is minimal, is made up in it's sexy lines and engineering. I can't really compare it to a Porsche since this car, in my opinion, is in an entire different class. A "Rolex on wheels" could not have said it better Perry911. The car belongs to client in Berkeley. When I got the call from Mark about doing his Pagoda, I was taken back since I did not know anything about these cars other than knowing that I have always had a liking to these special cars. Since doing this car, I have been on the look out for one to purchase...the wife said it was classy and elegant. Even though my passion is dong Porsche's, I don't think this will be my last Pagoda to restore. Thanks for your encouraging comments. You may follow the entire restoration here http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=13307.0
    www.vsrestorations.com
    Phoenix OREGON
    Freddie Hernandez
    (541) 535-3304

Beautiful car Freddie. I've always admired them. Didn't know about the aluminum panels!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Baum View Post
    I think they are absolutely beautiful, a design triumph by Bracq. These lines are so minimal and clean and the pagoda roof is ingenious.

However, I drove a 280SL automatic and it did not live up to the looks: One of the cars you always wish would have a tad more horses under the hood. It is sporting but not sporty.

Do you guys know how many came with the ZF 5 speed?

Mike
    No doubt the automatic is what changes everything. My 230SL is also automatic. See the attached driving impression link. Not my choice of transmission, however I known this particular car since the late 70's. Its low mileage and condition coupled to a unique original color combination of white ivory and green interior with a kinder seat have made her a keeper for now in my collection. It's a nice smooth and reliable cruiser.
    I have spent some time behind the wheel of both an early 230SL and later 280SL coupled with 4 speed manuals and they become quite a lovely and spirited machine to drive. It's another kind of lady. They are much more fun to drive. I would like one in my garage.
    I have not experienced a 5 speed hands on. There are not many. I believe your rarist 5 speed version would be a 230SLhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMpC5609Nic.

Thanks for sharing the link...nice commentary.
    www.vsrestorations.com
    Phoenix OREGON
    Freddie Hernandez
    (541) 535-3304

Freddie,
    Car looks nice. Do you have any photos of he resto you can post? I would love to see where these cars rust. Also, is the Pagoda hardtop made out of fiberglass or metal?

Nice looking Pagode, I ve seen your post on the 113 forum

I just sold mine 230sl chassie number 24 first export car sold to north america ,did a full restoration of that
    and I can tell you one thing , if any one is dreaming of buy a resto project pagoda
    if you think porsche parts are expensive ,wait until you get the bill for Pagoda parts
    and after new years they will be more expensive and harder to get since MB change there structure for MB classic parts

Just finishing my 280Sl 3,5L v8 I will offcause post some pics of this, but thats how they have should done this drives like a rocket

The question about the 5 speed Mercedes got 883 5 speed Zf gear box no numbers how many went to 250 or 280 sl models
    I even had a w111 280 se cabrio with 5 speed , ZF have just launch the "re"production so you can buy it again, price approx 10.000 Euro
    orders taken now as I know of
    I must say for a correct european set up (different gear ratio in US) is not a very big difference if you drive 4 or 5 speed not worth 10.000 € + MY opinion

the hard top is made of stell ( very few made with sunroof by golde in Holland VERY expensive used )
    typical rust on these are floor, outer panels and trunk expensive body parts

the pagodas are NOT race cars but boulevard´iers my favorit cruise car, had all models
    and can say MOST underrated is the 230sl look at it as a swb
    I am a sucker for early cars had my chance to work on chassi 20, 21 ,24 ,26, 33, 46 so I know them a bit
    but I allways had Porsche fever .....

regards

Marek

IMHO... The 280SLs with Automatics are nice around town but horrible on the Hi-Way/Freeway...

I have a 1971 280SL and my mom used to have one back in the 1980s... They are nice and Zippy around town but once the speeds increase above 60MPH they sound like a very loud sewing machine. The SLs with Auto trans are so low geared that on the LA freeways the engine is so loud and reving so high you think that you are in the wrong gear! There are several local MB shops around LA that have put in a higher ratio rear end in to cure the problem. So obviously this issue has been noticed by other owners...

Having Alloy Hoods and Doors with 180HP you would think that they would be competition for a 911S but no way!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by execmalibu; 12-24-2010 at 04:12 AM.