Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Catalog of Porsche Greens

Color

Quote Originally Posted by gruen911 View Post
    . . . I always thought that Lime green and Chartreuse were two different colors . . . Peter Morgan states that Lime green is code number 226 which you reference as chartreuse . . . Lime green here looks to have a lot more green in it in 1974 than the lime green in your Chartreuse photos . . .
    You hit the nail on the head there, Gruen . . .

This catalog is going to point up some of the vagaries of the designations of all the colors given to Porsches, especially greens. I mean, I had no idea when I got started that there were 69 different greens --- especially for what I consider to be a relatively rare color on a Porsche. And I would never have guessed that, like, Viper and Emerald green could be the same color, or that Sambesi has two other spellings.

That's why I ask that contributors include any names or numbers that they have, along with any photos, and try to specify whether the finish is original or not. I've always suspected that some of the names given to the colors may not be Porsche's, and that Porsche may change the name --- or have more than one (hellgrun and Jade) --- for a given color or color number. Besides, since none of this stuff is well-documented anyway, I expect things to be a bit confusing.

Also, the accuracy of any of this information is a BIG issue. Given the age of these cars, I'm guessing that most have been re-finished, and probably more than once, with varying degrees of accuracy regarding the original colors. Add to that not only the variability of shades within any model year, but that there could be changes that may have taken place year-to-year. That's why I try to include several photos to give some idea of how variable these colors are. Some differnces are pretty striking.

Anyway, I'm no expert --- more of a 'bomb-thrower.' I get excited about these cars --- and all their quirky little (and not-so-little) details. So if I can spread some of that excitement around --- maybe get some pictures taken, some CoAs dug up, and some paint codes looked-up --- then, with enough people sending stuff in, maybe we can all learn something about all shades of green Porsches can come in.

Then? Maybe move on to the other colors? Think we already have a red thread. And a blue one . . . Think about this . . . we could start threads on all the colors Porsches come in . . .

(Prolly take down the servers this site runs on! . . . .)

I'd really like to see a thread just on 'paint to sample cars'

Rick Kreiskott
    Last edited by LongRanger; 12-28-2010 at 07:51 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

Rick,
    Funny that the german name for lime green is "gelbgruen" which literally trasnlated means yellow green, and that's how I would describe chartreuse. But chartreuse has a lot more yellow in it than lime green. In fact I would call chartreuse a shade of yellow rather a shade of green. Lime green is more like viper green but a shade lighter and brighter, but still much more green than yellow. Here is what I believe is an original chartreuse 1974 911 targa that was in EBay a few weeks ago. The 1974 code for lime green was 137. The car in EBay which I believe is chartreuse has paint code 253 which the Peter Morgan book refers to as "birch" green or in German "lichtgruen" which translates to "light green". In 1974 they are two different colors with two different paint codes.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Great photos on this website of Golden Green (Color# 62165 Golden Green ): http://vintageexcellence.com/1968_Po...Coupe_Gold.php
    Early S Reg #1809

PTS green '78

[ATTACH]Name:  DSC_0440-1.jpg
Views: 1936
Size:  127.7 KB[/ATTACH]
    My 30k mile original paint, PTS green, 1978 SC. I hope the pictures make it. If not I'll try again.
    Bill Morris

And what was the sample of?
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

Great thread. It is amazing that there were/are so many green formulas given green is not really that popular compared to other colors. If you visited every Porsche dealership in the world today I wonder how many would have a single green car in their new car inventory. How long would it take on avg. to move a green car vs a silver or white car. 5x as long? never without major discounts? I am sure there was appreciation for various green shades over the yrs from 50's to current but likely never to the level of reds or silvers etc.
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

Smyrna Green

. . . . 6210, an early 60s 356 color, here on a T6 Cabriolet, re-spray . . .

Rick Kreiskott

We Can Be Heroes

Ice Green . . .

. . . aka Ice Green Metallic (?), very cool mid-70s color, here on Ferry Porsche's personal RS (#1281) and a 912E . . .

Rick Kreiskott
    Last edited by LongRanger; 03-17-2011 at 10:21 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

I saw this one at the Carillon Point Concours a year or two ago. I remember the owner telling me it was "Radium Green" and now I think I misheard him say Auratium Green, but not sure. Anyway, loved the color. Don't have any data on the color code or the like.
    Brooke
    1969 911 ST w/ 2.8SS
    1973 911 RS tribute with 3.3 turbo
    1970 914-6 w/ 2.2S (sold)
    1972 BMW M2 (sold)
    R Gruppe #338
    S Reg # 855

Raj
    that car is 9113601408
    the RS book shows it as colour 6767 or, as you said, Chartreuse (code 226 Lesonal 1)
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776