Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Porsche un-offical Rennen models

Xavier Petit-Jean-Boret Xavier PJB's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    Here are some fascinating period photos of what appears to be some sort of factory stripper, posted here previously by CurtisA. Vehicle looks to be a LWB car, with virtually all external trim deleted, and with the unfinished rocker seams mentioned earlier. It doesn't have any of the flares or bumper addenda seen on the earlier SWB T/Rs. And, without even head restraints on the seats, it would appear to pre-date the S/Ts. Also, from the looks of the wipers and type of exhaust fitted, this appears to be a road-legal model.

What is this?

Rick Kreiskott
    JPS on this forum may answer this. He has a 2.2 S/T 1970 which he bought in the early 80's which was in the exact same config (but additional headlights)
    I know he had a dialog with Hughh.
    Xavier
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

Quote Originally Posted by Rennman View Post
    It is the base S or "ST" Looks like a factory photo that has been in alot of books.

Don

Exactly.

its the 1970 911S "base"-"light weight model", for German market only. read more here:
    (check its 69 door handles).
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...light=predated

Last edited by 911T1971; 09-09-2013 at 12:33 AM.
    Registry member No.773

I don't have my notes where I am, but I know I have Bob Bailey's SN# for one.

Where did 11810486 come from? Tony raced Herb's car #0429 in '69, at least at Daytona and probably the rest of the way (I don't have my notes).
    Early S Reg #1809

Quote Originally Posted by naparsei View Post
    I don't have my notes where I am, but I know I have Bob Bailey's SN# for one.

Where did 11810486 come from? Tony raced Herb's car #0429 in '69, at least at Daytona and probably the rest of the way (I don't have my notes).
    ../..1968 Porsche 911L Factory Built Racing Car —SOLD
    Chassis No. 11810486
    REQUIST A printable PDF document with Photos

One of three “Sport Purposes” 911 racing cars known to exist in the US and the only numbers matching car.
    Full Concours Restoration.

This 911 was one of a small batch of "Sport Purpose” 911 racing cars built by the factory in 1968 to compete in the SCCA Trans Am and B Sedan races. SCCA Champion John Kelly purchased this car new and kept it for over 37 years. The car was raced once by Kelly in an SCCA event, which he won (the tech sticker is still on the car). Because it was raced only once this car has not been modified to stay competitive over the years like so many other racecars. It retains it’s original engine and gearbox and is in proper period specification. The car comes with extensive documentation, books and Porsche Certificate of Authenticity.

Factory Options:
    Rally Kit
    Sport Kit 2
    Limited Slip Differential
    Airport Gear Set
    Roll Bar
    "Porsche" Side Decals
    Lowered Special Koni Suspension
    "R" Scheel Seats
    Leather Wheel
    Deletion of Undercoating
    Deletion of Sound Deadening

Kelly Ordered this car through Heishman’s Porsche in Virginia for his racing effort. Shortly after taking delivery John was hired to drive Triumphs for Group 44. John used the car sparingly over the years. In the Mid 1990s the car was prepared for Vintage Racing. John’s wife Susan Miller raced the car until selling the car in early 2005. The car comes with the vintage race logbook.

../..

Found Bob's Sn : 118 1 0482 engine 388 0010 (901/30) gearbox 928 2016
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

Ok, so it's Kelly's car. In those pictures it is car #21, because Bailey usually ran #22 (that's his burgundy car repainted in PART livery). #20 is #0429, which was new at Daytona, and was subsequently partially retubbed after wreck (grafted front from a 912). Tony never raced #0486. If I recall, Bailey shared his car with Locke. Therefore Kelly shared his car with 2 other drivers, one of which raced in just that race. I don't have their names with me, but the #20 car was obviously Tony A2Z, Herb W., and Bruce Jennings.
    Early S Reg #1809

The pics I posted is wrong and have removed it from the thread.

There is a sreg thread on these L cars, and we would be very interested to get your additional data on those.
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...0-Racing-Rally
    Xavier
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

911S 'gt-s'

. . . Here are some fascinating period photos of what appears to be some sort of factory stripper, posted here previously by CurtisA. Vehicle looks to be a LWB car, with virtually all external trim deleted, and with the unfinished rocker seams mentioned earlier. It doesn't have any of the flares or bumper addenda seen on the earlier SWB T/Rs. And, without even head restraints on the seats, it would appear to pre-date the S/Ts. Also, from the looks of the wipers and type of exhaust fitted, this appears to be a road-legal model . . .

What is this? . . .
    Some more details on something called a 911S GT-S --- see ST Man's post . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...l=1#post671097

Perhaps some kind of interim competition model, built between the T/Rs and the STs? Love to see this Kardex . . . looks to be more extensively re-worked than just having a 'Sport Kit' of some sort fitted

Looking at the low VIN, I'm guessing that this car would've been built originally some time in the summer of '68 --- or possibly re-worked sometime thereafter . . . perhaps using a pre-production/Versuch number body?

The particular car here is . . .
    VIN = 119300009
    Production# = ?
    Eng# = ?
    Trans# = ?

More on 0009, as displayed at the 2013 Quail, here . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ompetition-911

This vehicle appears to have aluminum front + rear bumpers --- as identified by the visible rivets . . . aluminum door skins --- ditto . . . and possibly aluminum fenders, front hood + engine cover. The alu engine covers were used on the '70-thru-'73 production cars. Alu bumpers have been rumored to exist --- but the alu fenders + front hood were only recently seen on, of all things, a FS thread, here on The Registry . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...-body-parts-FS

Apart from some riveting of bracketry, these alu panels look virtually identical to the steel bits

There've also been some comments made about the possibility that GT-S cars used thinner gauge steel for some of their body panels, but . . . somebody'll need to take a long/close look at one of these cars to verify that. Meanwhile --- I'd love to get 0009 on a scale

Zero idea about production numbers. Apart from stripped-out equipment + the tell-tale riveting, there isn't much to distinguish such a vehicle from any other all-steel 911
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by LongRanger; 05-28-2019 at 05:32 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

'1969 s m471' . . .

We Can Be Heroes

Some more details on something called a 911S GT-S --- see ST Man's post . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...rs-.-.-./page4

Perhaps some kind of interim competition model, built between the T/Rs and the STs? Love to see this Kardex . . . looks to be more extensively re-worked than just having a 'Sport Kit' of some sort fitted

Looking at the low VIN, I'm guessing that this car would've been built originally some time in the summer of '68 --- or possibly re-worked sometime thereafter . . . perhaps using a pre-production/Versuch number body?

The particular car here is . . .
    VIN = 119300009
    Production# = ?
    Eng# = ?
    Trans# = ?

More on 0009, as displayed at the 2013 Quail, here . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ompetition-911

This vehicle appears to have aluminum front + rear bumpers --- as identified by the visible rivets . . . aluminum door skins --- ditto . . . and possibly aluminum fenders, front hood + engine cover. The alu engine covers were used on the '70-thru-'73 production cars. Alu bumpers have been rumored to exist --- but the alu fenders + front hood were only recently seen on, of all things, a FS thread, here on The Registry . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...-body-parts-FS

Apart from some riveting of bracketry, these alu panels look virtually identical to the steel bits

There've also been some comments made about the possibility that GT-S cars used thinner gauge steel for some of their body panels, but . . . somebody'll need to take a long/close look at one of these cars to verify that. Meanwhile --- I'd love to get 0009 on a scale

Zero idea about production numbers. Apart from stripped-out equipment + the tell-tale riveting, there isn't much to distinguish such a vehicle from any other all-steel 911

Another thread . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Rennman View Post
    . . . I know of a 68 that was a Porsche werkes Rallye car that was converted to LWB but that was a real oddball. The designation on the kard was 911 GTS. There were other changes on the tub of a LWB car does your 68 have these other changes? Dual batteries and so on? . . .

Uhhh-ohhhhhhh

We Can Be Heroes

Finally . . .

Quote Originally Posted by 911T1971 View Post
    . . . 1970 911S "base"-"light weight model", for German market only. read more here:
    (check its 69 door handles).

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...light=predated

. . . looks like one of these has finally turned-up . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...0-s-9110301383
    Attached Images Attached Images      

We Can Be Heroes