Thread: Sticker Volume I workshop manual

Sticker Volume I workshop manual

I've got quite a lot of factory workhop manuals however only the one has a sticker to denote Volume I. All the others have volume 1 and II within the plastic cover not a paper sticker. It appears original sticker not home made; made me curious about why? Hove folks here seen this sticker before ?

Maybe simply a production error in file plastic cover an erratum?

Or was there originally a single volume that got a second volume added so that first one required sticker when volume two was released -- also giving supplements more capacity?. Or is there some other explanation?

Name:  IMG_20191217_002840.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  37.2 KB
    At present I have three pairs of Vol I and II and all the volume one have the same print reference suffix .20. As discussed elsewhere .20 denoted the English speaking markets outside NA on publications. Broadly speaking these RHD English speaking markets have historical links to the old British Empire comonweath countries such as Aus NZ SA. Typically North American literature got a different suffix if content varied despite similarities in language. Living In the UK it is not surprising all mine are that .20 suffix but made me curious are there North American versions of volume I and II with a different suffix and market tailored content like we see in brochures etc?
    Name:  IMG_20191217_003002.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  24.5 KB

References to 69 supplement VII and 500... possibly denoting 500 copies printed ?
    Name:  IMG_20191217_014338.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  35.2 KB
    There are supplements filed at end of section but the version control page not had written so maybe it is up to supplement VII as delivered
    Name:  15765478506885382980492318769325.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  41.6 KB

Name:  IMG_20191217_002903.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  37.3 KB
    I've not bothered to do a page by page comparison of my three pairs of Volume I and II and since they were subject to updates probably won't tally anyway depending on whether content was updated by the first owner.

However one of the Volume I&II pairs has a natural cardboard set of section dividers wheras others including one with sticker are black. Possibly natural card variant a later reprint?

Also got many examples of the subsequent 911 additions from circa 71/2 but leaving leaving them aside for now as that will complicate the question because I have lots of variation among different sets of those ...I don't have much later than longhood in these workshop manuals

I know there are literature experts here just curious about the sticker since it caught my eye. Also has anyone seen a Volume II with sticker?

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 12-16-2019 at 05:30 PM.

The initial release was a single volume. I suspect you have an early 2-volume set and they used the single volume binders with a sticker to deplete inventory.

Name:  IMG_3503.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  74.4 KB

Thanks Bill that makes sense as sticker looked like it wasn't just someone's own addition but done at source.. Seems unlikely there was a sticker Volume II in that scenario. The three volume II examples I have are all printed properly not stickered . Maybe the transition was around 69 assuming the 69 VII 500 reference is original to my copy with the I sticker -- which appears to be the case

Has anyone seen Volume I and II with reference other than .20? Often suffix .23 used for North American literature in the English language but maybe there was only .20 in these volumes despite .20 often being English speaking UK, Aus, SA etc sometimes called rest of world or ROW. In other words were there North American Vs other English speaking market versions of volumes I and II?

Cheers

Steve

Does anyone have a reference point for the transition date from one volume to two volumes?
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616