Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Peter Gregg's "Specials"??

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    Interesting car Pasta, and quite nice. Aside from the rear reflector, rear bumper, and shiney wheels, it's a nicely finished RSR-look built on an historic car, presuming there is supporting documentation, of course. But jeeze....
    Discussed this with Raj.... Needs seats, proper rear bumper, a nice set of Weidman's 15 x 9 & 11s (calling Doc R, found a place to store your wheels!) a more aggressive stance, stripes and you have got ahellofva RSR.....

Nice motor.... Tidy bay.....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"

Thanks for the note Jens.
    I do recall our conversation at Lime Rock. I've got the part numbers for the flares in one of the parts invoice sheets from 1973 if helpful. I think they are ST flares (you were the first person to point this out to me - I thought they were RS flares). Interestingly, I spoke w/ Roy Smally today and he had to do quite a bit of "clean up" work on the flares to properly weld them to the car, when he restored it.

The engine has been refreshed, but remains the original 2.4 MFI that came with the car when delived to Brumos in 1973. With 190k miles, it still picks up and goes like a new car (at least to me).

Best regards,
    george

73S at Brumos

Here's a picture of the car in the Brumos race shop. I took this several years ago when I went to pick up the car.

george
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Note that the wipers on the Gregg cars parked on the right and that the wiring was modified so power windows and sunroof continued to work with ignition off.
    356 Reg #16227
    Early S Reg #700
    R Gruppe #340

Hi guys,

we have the first Peter Gregg car, mentioned already in this thread, but now in the same form as it was delivered to Andrew Carduner of Garrard Records.

The story goes like this:

Chassis No : 9113300666

In 1973, Peter Gregg, then America’s most successful Porsche race driver and the owner of Brumos Porsche, had built several RS specification street 911’s for his best customers. This 911S, chassis number 911 330 0666, was one of these "special" RS/RSRs. There were between six and eleven of these "special" 911’s, this 911 was the most extreme built, with more factory options than any of the others.

Gregg bought this 911 straight from the factory as a rolling chassis without engine or gearbox but with full leather interior and an electric sunroof, plus air conditioning and electric windows. Ordered 911S/T fender flares (no "production" 911 was ever ordered with these special 911S/T flares in period) and European Cibie quartz-iodine headlamps in place of the American DOT approved headlamps, especially for his Brumos team major sponsor, Andrew Carduner.

Carduner was Chairman of Garrard turntables in 1973 and you can see "Garrard" on the front spoiler of the Porsche RSRs that Gregg raced with total dominance in IMSA and Trans Am during the 1972 to 1975 seasons. Carduner was Brumos’ main racing sponsor at this time. Upon speaking with Carduner, he confirmed owning this very special 911.

Unable to bring RS’s into America in 1973 due to the strict emission controls, building up a "special" 911RSR was Peter Gregg’s way of giving his very special customers the opportunity to own such a beast but with even more luxury options than were to be found on a "Touring" 911 RS 2.7 Carrera of the period. Inside the cockpit, there was a racing 10,000 rpm tachometer, a 150 mph speedometer and a 914/6 GT steering wheel was installed. This is definitely no ordinary 911S!

Beneath the extended wheel arches, this 911 also has 8 inches wide front and 9 inches wide rear Fuchs alloy wheels. The wheel arches are big enough to house the 9 inch wide fronts and 11 inch wide rears that adorned a 1973 RSR. If you take a close look at the Peter Gregg/Hurley Haywood driven 1973 2.8 RSR, with which they and the car’s owner, Dr. Helmick, won the 1973 Sebring 12 Hour race, both cars are light yellow and are virtually indistinguishable from one another at first glance. The only difference is the RSR is slightly lower and has the characteristic racing fuel filler in the center of the RSR’s front hood, plus the even wider wheels.

Peter Gregg had his engine builder, Jim Wright, equip this 911S with a special RS style 2.8-liter engine, on mechanical injection and with full air conditioning. Paul Willerson worked in Brumos’ race department in 1973 and remembered the 911RSR Special with affection. "At that time, our dyno had broken, so Jim Wright was never able to measure the power of that 2.8 engine but it was very powerful – around 250 horsepower." And: "I remember that the transmission had a competition oil pump, but no cooler. It had a limited slip differential, short cover housing, 11/35 first gear and Recaro seats." The same transmission, with its competition oil pump, is still in the car and the Recaro seats have been refitted.

Carduner traded the car back to Brumos, only to be bought by Mike Colucci, a Brumos race mechanic. Mike Colucci owned the car from 1976 to about 1978 until he sold it to an Orthodontist from Jacksonville, whose name he cannot now remember. After the doctor, a young man called Mason Wilkinson, Jr. bought the car and kept it for several years before selling it in around 1990. It went into storage until John Starkey re-discovered it some years later.

Effectively, this car is a detuned 2.8 RSR Carrera but with all the luxury options that one could have at the time, such as electric sunroof, air conditioning, electric windows, LSD, adjustable sway bars etc. What makes it so individual is that it was built by America’s most famous Porsche 911 GT racer of the period, with all those special goodies. Additionally, it is in remarkably original condition.

Stewart Webster bought the S/RSR in California in 2007 and traveled across the USA via Route 66 to the East Coast. This trip took 4 weeks, and upon arrival in New York, the car was shipped back to Melbourne in September of 2007.

The car has now competed in a number of Regularity events in Australia and is used by both Stewart and myself (Alex). It is a wonderful car, and if I have anything to do with it, we will never sell it!
    Alex Webster

1967 911S Sunroof - RHD
    1969 911E - LHD - Historic Racecar
    1975 911 Carrera 2.7 MFI - RHD - Historic Racecar

My historic racing videos - www.youtube.com/aewebster

We have the 1972 911S Sportomatic sunroof coupe that was Peters driver for that year. It has been out of circulation for about 20 years and I owned it briefly about 22 years ago. The car was updated to a 2.7 with 92mm pistons and liners and an 019 MFI pump at Brumos. It has sunroof, air, electric windows, 7 inch rear fuchs alloys, tangerine in color, chrome trim, checkerboard seat inserts and is a good straight car and is 90 % assembled from a repaint. We have a letter from Bat Masterson as to the ownership who was the general manager of Brumos at the time. If anyone is interested in owning the car call 706 865 5200 or send me an email. Thanks Joe Cogbill 706 865 5200
    Last edited by cog; 02-03-2011 at 12:12 PM.

A friend may be buying the RSR. Sending it to Dave B to sort. Might see it on the Targa California.
    356 Reg #16227
    Early S Reg #700
    R Gruppe #340