Page 2 of 153 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Porsche Picture of the Day !!

Yes, Photo #2 and the group of 4 in Photo #3 were indeed taken at RR III. I shot over 1000 images during 3 glorious days in Florida and intend to use them liberally as a source of subjects for future daily posts. Never before had I seen such an absolutely jaw-dropping collection of Porsches in one place........both in quality and variety.

The '53 550 LeMans Coupe shown in 4 views as part of Photo #3 is , as David states, currently part of the Collier Collection. Interesting History behind that little car. That was the time that Porsche decided they needed a race winner to publicize their new car, the VW based 356. The decision was to build a specialized car, but based on the Gloeckler Roadster with the reversed powertrain, i.e. a mid-engined design ( tell me that decision isn't material for one Hell of a discussion of just why Ferry felt their road cars had to be rear-engined ). Naturally, in order to make the biggest splash, Porsche felt they had to succeed at Lemans, and for that specific purpose commissioned two of these cars ( 550-01 & 02 ) as aerodynamic coupes as it was expected they would posses superior speed on the longer, faster tracks. They were immediately quite dominant in the 1100 to 1500cc class, winning several important events. A third car was planned from the beginning, but was to be equipped with Ernst Fuhrman's brand-new four-cam motor when it became available. It was an immediate race winner.

In '53 the 2 coupes were entered in the Carrera Panamericana. One retired due to mechanical failure, and the other one won its class, but after the race both machines simply disappeared. Seems to have been a fairly common occurrence back in those days, since start-up car makers like Porsche and Ferrari didn't have the recsources to hire cargo planes to take their teams around the world and relied on local contacts to return their race cars. Ferrari & Maserati also "lost" several of their race cars the same way after big international races, not surprisingly most often in Central and South America.

After the '53 Carrera the two little Coupes were never seen again until mysteriously, several years ago, #02 re-surfaced. I can't remember all the details, but do recall that Cavaglieri Restorations got the call to restore the car to its pristine, original state, including all the graphics. If I further recall correctly, Excellence magazine ran a very comprehensive article including history, covering the recreation / restoration with lots of commentary and explanation of the what, why and how by Cavaglieri, since it was really more a matter of recreating much of the car based on original factory documents, rather than a conventional restoration........ sorry, I'm unable to provide the number and date of the issue. Also explains the remarkable condition of the almost 60 year old car. I'm pretty sure the restored car was debuted at the '98 Monterey Historics which, as many here recall so fondly, honored Porsche's 50th anniversary as a manufacturer.

I also know there are many books about Porsche and specifically their early History, which talk about the 550 Lemans Coupes. I personally think they are one of Porsche's most attractive & pure designs.

David, where did you find the "Classic 911" issue, please.........would love to get it.
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

great thread!

...Classic PORSCHE. iPhone post... Love the concept. Keep them coming!

Day Four,

Oh, yes.......it's the real thing !

PS: After posting the first picture, I realized that the second shot ( at right ) is a better photograph of the car.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by John Z Goriup; 01-04-2011 at 04:44 AM.

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."

Oh, yes.......it's the real thing !
    Yes, Peter Stoneberg doesn't need a "tribute" car. This must have been Wine Country 2010. Dave Olson's trailer and Carl Moore's Birdcage are visible in the background.I believe Peter Read had his long-tail 2.5 liter Alfa 33 there as well......

%:14 AM! John I have some sleeping meds that can correct this sort of behavior.

Keep 'em coming please.

johnt

Hi John,

what a fantastic thread!

Picture 2 of the 550 coupe has my mate Grant standing on the left in the background. I too have loads of shots of that Reunion, it was incredible.
    I could look at a shot of that car every day this year so don't worry about repeats!
    Tony
    1958 356 Coupe
    1996 993 Cabrio
    Early 911S Registry no. 1699
    RGRUPPE no. 993
    PCGB no. 119

Day five

It's still awfully early in this silly, year-long exercise, but I have already concluded that I probably won't be able to stick to my originally stated resolution of one picture per day, one car per day, every day and consider my pledge fulfilled. The "One-a-Day" approach may suit some subjects, but certainly not all.

Take today's offering for example, a '66 911, in Aga Blue, with a few options, but restored to such an extraordinary level that it becomes difficult to appreciate unless you can see more of it. I find it impossible to illustrate an accomplishment of such magnitude with just one image.

Checking this thread has been added to my to do list every day.Thanks for postong the pictures

I had to get my morning 'fix'.

Thanks,

John
    1959 356 Coupe, 1600 Super, sold
    1960 356 Roaster, race car, SCCA, sold
    1960 356 Roadster, show car, sold.
    1962 356 Cab, show car, sold.
    1965 911 #301111, Red Book Vol 1 "Cover Car," owned 54 years.
    1967 911 #307347, bare-bones, some road wear, a little surface rust, and a few dents..., owned 14 years.
    1970 914/6GT, (Sold - ran the last three Rennsports)owned 30 years.

Photography Site: JohnStraubImageWorks.com

Registry #983
    R Gruppe #741

Day six

Today's choice has interesting provenance !!

Ser.# 300032, was build in Sept. '64, and originally assigned to Edgar Barth as a promotional tool to demonstrate the advantages of the then brand-new 911 to European dealers, who up until then of course only had 356s to sell. After a few weeks of demo-drives Edgar returned it to the factory "racing werke" for some handling & horsepower modifications. Edgar reported that the changes had the desired effect and that the dealers admitted to being a lot more impressed by the car after a brief, white-knuckle demo drive. After the factory & Barth decided that the little white car had fulfilled its mission, the car was delivered to Max Moritz, who in turn exported it into the US as the first production 900 series 6-cyl. car.

The above info is from a printed placard placed next to the car when in the pits, so the same question doesn't have to be answered endlessly

This car is so old............."How old is it ?".......it's so old it doesn't even have the indents for the foil decals in the rear lid latch panel. Those only appeared after the first couple of hundred cars, built in '64, were completed.
    Last edited by John Z Goriup; 12-27-2013 at 07:20 AM.