Thread: 2011 Speedster

2011 Speedster

I am trying to accept a price of $204,000, which will look like $215,000 in the end and that you cannot order a manual transmission. Am I missing something? In the recent article in Excellence someone, I think a factory guy, stated that they, in part did not offer a manual transmission as it is not a "race car". Hmmm,,, 408 ponies, 0-60 in like 4.2 and top speed of 190. Sounds kinda like a race car, no?

So, help me out. Is it ok for the car to not have a munal transmission and a price $204,000 phew!

John
    John

Early 911 S Registry member 473
    RGruppe member 445

Quote Originally Posted by denson View Post
    I am trying to accept a price of $204,000, which will look like $215,000 in the end and that you cannot order a manual transmission. Am I missing something? In the recent article in Excellence someone, I think a factory guy, stated that they, in part did not offer a manual transmission as it is not a "race car". Hmmm,,, 408 ponies, 0-60 in like 4.2 and top speed of 190. Sounds kinda like a race car, no?

So, help me out. Is it ok for the car to not have a munal transmission and a price $204,000 phew!

John
    Hi John, how've you been?? In a word: NO NO and NO....I saw one at the LA Auto Show. I didnt' like it. In fact, the ONLY Porsche I DID like at the show was the GT2 RS.
    Bahia Red '72 911S
    Meerblau PTS 2019 Speedster
    GP Silver, 2018 GT2RS WP....the BEAST
    Daytona Gray 2021 RS6 Avant....BEAST #2...Best daily EVER

ES #333

GONE...MANY, many great ones....

With only 356 produced, and less than 90 of those available for the over 250 US dealers, maybe it's not marketed or designed with concerns for our geographic or demographic?

Hats off to Pete Stout's editorial in the recent Excellence magazine. This was the point I was trying to make about the 2011 Speedster, but Pete went deeper with it and expanded to other new Porsche models. It seems nothing is sacred anymore. In some cases, they are slapping badges on cars irrespective of key elements which earned it that badge many, many years ago. I know the Sppedster has a 408 hp motor and is filled with almost all the porsche gadgets, but make it Speedster-hardly! An automotic-I am blown away by that. I know Ian Kuah loved the car, and I really like reading his articles, but for a guy who loves the "old stuff" I was shocked he was that impressed. The car looks heavy, very long at the rear and the Speedster bubble seems weak. The seats with the check design look like Corvette seats. The price made me jump from my seat!

Well, let us see if this is the beginning of what is to come or just a bad Porsche day.
    John

RGruppe member 445

Did anyone read the Palevsky/Stout article in the May 11 in Excellence? It compares the GTS to the new Speedster. They nailed it perfectly. I thought exactly the same when I started to read (see the price/lack of manual transmision) about the speedster in January.

Good job guys!
    John

RGruppe member 445