Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Show your Before and After Pics of Your Ride...

Show your Before and After Pics of Your Ride...

Many amazing transformations documented on this great site. Thought it would be a kick to have a collection of initial acquisition and 'end state' (yeah as if there is such a thing) pics with whatever narrative you care to provide.

My offering is probably the least dramatic. It all started when my wife's partner came over in her white '72S with a sport muffler. She handed me the keys and said I should take it out for an hour and see what I thought. The sound of that sport muffler and the crescendo of the motor was all it took to get me on my quest. About a year later I picked up a 73 S in Hollywood, Calif for what I considered was a relative "bargain". After driving it with it's worn second gear, shabby interior but still strong-ish motor, I decided to go for it. The owner said it was in good enough shape to drive from LA to Seattle, but I needed to be back at work the next day, so I drove myself to LAX and wished it good by until it arrived by transport. (Good thing I didn't drive it because on its second start up at home, a fuel line sprang a leak and sprayed enough fuel, on thankfully a cold engine, to start a nice BBQ.)

The paint was fairly badly checked, come to find out it was wearing 4 coats of Gran Prix white, which was later discovered when it was completely stripped down. Being a formerly Texas and then So Cal car, no rust was found, except around the bottom of the windshield tray and a couple of small spots at the bottom of the driver's door. At least all the paint was true to the COA. Of course all the tired rubber was replaced while the car was apart. During paint I decided I wanted more of a light-weight look, so the deco, rocker and other superfluous trim was deleted. All the original parts were preserved, including the deleted AC, in case some one more ambitious than myself attempts a full restoration.

The interior was pretty much shot - but at least it was a full leather interior with hounds tooth inserts. Since the seats were not sports seats, they are still sitting in the attic awaiting refurbishing. Some contemporary Recaros are temporarily filling the bill which are very supportive for spirited driving. Carpets, headliner, and sundry pieces were replaced or refurbished.

The 2.4S motor was also pretty tired. Rather than rebuilding it, I decided to shelve it and for just about the same expense have a MFI 2.7RS spec built. At the same time the transmission was gone through and a Quaife was installed. What a dramatic transformation between the 2.7 and the LSD.

All the suspension bushings were shot, so all were replaced with bigger t-bars front and rear. After alignment and corner balancing the handling abilities of the car was transformed.

Along the way 100 little detail items which all of us are too familiar with, have been attended to. Which pretty much brings us up to present state. The car is a kick to drive, and does everything much better than the driver ever could.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

Ten Fifty-nine . . . Before

Cool idea, Rick . . .

9110301059 started out looking pretty good.

But, by the time the rockers were fixed, and the correct front bumper was fitted -- along with an alu engine cover and rear valence --- she needed to be pretty comprehensively re-finished.

Here's the Before, ~ Nov '09 through Apr '10 . . .

Rick Kreiskott
    Last edited by LongRanger; 02-24-2011 at 02:37 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

Ten Fifty-nine . . . After

. . . and here's the After, New Year's '11

Courtesy of John Esposito.

A Nice Old Lady . . . in a pretty new dress.

Rick Kreiskott
    Last edited by LongRanger; 01-09-2011 at 03:27 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

Thumbs up

GOOD IDEA Rick..........

Morning after I brought it home in Feb. of '89

Repop wheels, Manta exhaust, Goodyear Gatorbacks, US headlights........ and all...
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Thumbs up

At last Saturday's New Year's drive up the hill... And brunch at Tony, Lois, and Marco's......... Cheers
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

71E..Before and After

Before......bought as a roller from Clint Smith/Rebel Racing, in 2007. Originally silver, but then painted black...and not well. Engine and tranny came separately and to my surprise are numbers matching.

After....rolled out in 2010, after 2-1/2 years of resto.
    Al Kosmal
    the X-faktory
    Current projects; 69-911.5
    76S rat bastard---off to Germany

1970 914-4...off to Wisconsin
    73 911X Cafe Racer...........(off to S.F.....now racing in Germany)
    66 912 ...off to France
    71E 9111200979 ( gone to Paris..then to Corsica)
    77S (off to NY)
    Early S #1240

RGruppe #669
    www.x-faktory.com

Great thread!

Zitronengelb R1012 the RatBasterd
    RGruppe #183

Quote Originally Posted by X-Faktory View Post
    . . . bought as a roller . . . painted black...and not well. Engine and tranny came separately . . . rolled out in 2010, after 2-1/2 years of resto.

From a roller and bits --- to a running car. Way to go, Al . . .

Rick Kreiskott

We Can Be Heroes

Before...it looks much better than it was.

After.

Interior before.

After.

Original blown 2.0.

After 2.2.
    Rich
    1966 911 #303872
    ES#1197
    RG#478

68-911-*R -inspired*
    A Long & winding road!