Ferrari 330/P4

Found another outstanding book. Has a few pleasant surprises too
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I have a website now:
    www.markmorrissey.org

Instagram: @Mark0Morrissey

Die schönste Rennstrecke der Welt. Nordschleife's Avatar
    Nice steering wheel, eh Mark?!

Four hex bolts to mount it to the column? 380mm or 360mm?

Love the black-crinkle-painted dash, rivets and minimalist instrumentation.

Andy
    Last edited by Nordschleife; 01-18-2011 at 11:17 AM.
    Early 911S Registry #1246
    1968 Porsche 911 Cotswold Blue/Schwartz #118 35153
    1962 Marcos G.T. 1000 Gullwing historic race car - now sold and racing in FIA events in Sweden
    ---------------------------------------
    "Pro Patria Vigilans"

This wheel is one of the very early, undrilled Momo wheels, attached later by Ferrari. Notice the slightly different spoke design... Elegantly beautiful with tapered, less harsh edges.
    I think it's close to 350mm

Sent you a PM Andy
    Last edited by Mark Morrissey; 01-21-2011 at 07:48 AM.
    I have a website now:
    www.markmorrissey.org

(A very nice P4 write up) :

"Ferrari P4 330 History

The Ferrari P4 is a storied racer – one that had the personal attention of the Commendatore himself as he used it to battle General Motors and the Ford Motor Company on the continent and in the U.S. Here is a brief review of the P4’s development and its start down the road to automotive legend status.

Ford’s MkII victory at Le Mans in 1966 against the Ferrari P3 was the compelling event that gave rise to the Ferrari P4. In tracing the history of the P4, it is important to understand the thinking of Mauro Forghieri Technical Director at Ferrari’s Maranello Racing Department from 1962 to 1985. Acting under orders from the Commendatore, Forghieri was told after Le Mans defeat to get to work and build “whatever car you like”. “All I want”, stated Ferrari “is for your sports prototype to win”.

Forghieri later noted that more than any other encounter with Ferrari, this episode indicated the kind of man Ferrari really was and the passion he held for the sport of racing – especially endurance racing. Knowing Ferrari’s heart was set on winning the Italian Grand Prix, Forghieri began in earnest to develop his 3 valves per cylinder, V-12. Its polyhemispheric combustion chamber design and 1000 cc cylinder capacity was predicted to provide about 8 percent more power than its P3 predecessor. In addition, Forghieri knew he had to improve the cars power/weight ratio – a strong point of the P3. The new P4 was to be a more powerful coupe redesigned to eliminate the P3’s faults while capitalizing upon its assets.

When all was said and done, the V-12 power output climbed from 420 to 450 hp, the compression ratio rose from 10.5:1 to 11:1 at the same 8,200 rev limit as the previous engine. Forghieri included a coil ignition with water cooling and a Lucas indirect fuel injection system. Interestingly, the V-12 performed a structural function in that it actually helped strengthen the chassis.

The redesigned 5 speed gearbox, mated to a rear-mounted differential, was beefed up to handle the additional output of the big V-12. Forghieri chose Firestone’s which were noteworthy for their significant increase in width over the previously used Dunlop’s.

Although the P4’s wheelbase was the same as the P3’s, the front track was increased from 1462 to 1488 mm and the rear from 1431 to 1450 mm. Rear brakes were moved from the gearbox area to the wheels in order to increase brake cooling. The newly added Firestones required suspension modifications: the P4 used the P3s helical springs, independent wheels and wishbones at the front end and the same components at the rear with the addition of telescopic shock absorbers. The rear suspension also featured two torsion bars slanted toward the front end.

The P4’s technical improvements increased its weight an additional 80 kilograms over its P3 sibling.The cars distinguishing bodywork mimicked the P3 although the 4 had thinner and longer lens-reflectors than the 3 and a deeper, more inset air intake at the base of the windshield, broader air intakes for the rear brakes and a flattened tail which incorporated a more pronounced wing.

At the end of November in 1967, Ferrari’s Racing Department put two P4’s on a TWA flight from Milan to New York. Forghieri noted that in his years at Ferrari, this was the first time the Commendatore put Prancing Horse race cars in the care of the Prototypes Team to test out an endurance circuit 3 months in advance of the actual event. From New York the cars were trailered to Daytona where the track was reserved on an exclusive basis so as to keep the P4’s track times a secret. Two driver teams (Chris Amon-Lorenzo Bandini and Michael Parkes-Ludovico Scarfiotti) simulated a full 24 hour race with the usual stops to refuel and change tires and drivers.

Forghieri recalls that both cars “performed well” and in fact, on several occasions, bested the times clocked by Ford’s MkII driven by the duo of Ken Miles-Lloyd Ruby. Good news about fast cars travels fast and in fact the P4’s simulation race times were so outstanding, word reached Ford and Chaparral very quickly. The Carroll Shelby / Holman & Moody brain trust, responsible for Ford’s sports program, didn’t know what to do as they found their MkII/Bs uncompetitive.

Forghieri’s re-engineering efforts and Enzo Ferrari’s competitive drive paid off as Ferrari’s Ford fighters finished 1-2-3 at Daytona, followed by a win in the Monza 1000 Kilometers. In the big race at Le Mans, however, the P4 lost out to the superior 7.0 liter Ford Mk IV, which bested Ferrari’s P4 top end by a significant 15 mph. Ferrari followed with another second place finish at Brands Hatch and finished first overall for the year in the Manufacturer’s Championship. Disappointed by Ford’s win at Le Mans, Enzo decided to walk away from sports car racing in 1968 to focus on Formula One. He stayed away for two years not returning until 1970 but by now the ageing P4 had been replaced by the 512.

The heart and soul of the P4 was its V12 engine, about which Enzo Ferrari said “I have always given preeminence to the engine, striving to achieve maximum performance since I am convinced that it counts for more than fifty percent of racing success. Ideas are our strength and the tenacity to back them is our wealth. When I began, I went against everyone’s opinion when I wanted a twelve-cylinder, but that engine, which many people thought would mark the end on my ambitions, can still be recognized in its many children and grandchildren. I have gone down the path of eight cylinders, six cylinders and four cylinders, but the twelve cylinder engine is my traditional and certainly most beloved theme. (Maranello, March, 1985).

Some believe Ferrari would have termed the P4 as his “track animal” because of its aggressive look…like a large feline ready to pounce (with 12 cylinder speed) upon its prey. The architectural maxim “Form follows function” applies superbly to the P4. Every line, every curve, every nuance is dedicated to a winning. In all the world of automotive design, the P4 has few equals.

How many P4’s are left in the world? As near as anyone knows, there are three and, not too surprisingly, they’re parked behind museum doors. Their value? An estimated $15 million a copy. Fortunately the talent and desire to recreate this automotive legend thrives today…but only for a select few."

" FERRARI 330/P4
    BOB NORWOOD
    P4-575 "
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by peekaboo; 01-21-2011 at 02:17 PM.

Very cool. The book outlines the details of each race of 1967.
    I have a website now:
    www.markmorrissey.org