Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Alfa GTV v. Early 911T v. BMW 2002 (tii)

Your Alfa and Porsche looks fantastic Tennster. Right stance and tastefully modified. I just love all these cars. Here are my two previous Alfas. A GTAm replika (oh why did I sell that one....) and my 1750 "rally edition". Both had to go to get my ST, but I will get a 1750 again.

Here is some sound samples (ST and GTAm)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NE4ol7Z3v_Y

Okay, I like BMW too. Here is my touring.
    Last edited by BlutorangeS; 01-29-2011 at 04:13 PM.
    C Lundem
    Norway
    72 911S "ST tribute 3,4 twinplug"

Very nice indeed!! I agree early porsche and early alfa go together so well.
    cheers
    tenn
    EarlyS #1342

OK, let's delve into this a little further re: the Alfa GT series. Anyone care to elaborate on their most desirable car and why? Or even a small list of pros and cons of each? If one were looking to add an Alfa GT to the stable, what would you recommend?

GT Junior 1300
    GT Junior 1600
    GTV 1750
    GTV 2000
    Last edited by t6dpilot; 01-31-2011 at 11:11 AM.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

Quote Originally Posted by t6dpilot View Post
    OK, let's delve into this a little further re: the Alfa GT series. Anyone care to elaborate on their most desirable car and why? Or even a small list of pros and cons of each? If one were looking to add an Alfa GT to the stable, what would you recommend?

GT Junior 1300
    GT Junior 1600
    GTV 1750 se below
    GTB 2000 se below
    it is gtv by the way not gtb (that is Ferrari)

OK here we go:

Giulia Sprint GT (1963–1966)

Tipo: 105.02. Motore: 00502.

The Giulia Sprint GT was the first model introduced, and was manufactured from 1963 to 1966. It featured the original form of the Bertone body with the scalina (stepped) or "step front" (the leading edge of the hood/bonnet sat 1/4 an inch above the nose of the car). It can be most easily distinguished from other models by the following features:

* Badging: chrome script reading "Giulia Sprint GT" on bootlid, one round Alfa Romeo badge on the grille heart, Bertone badges behind the front wheelarches.
    * Flat, chrome grille featuring a plain rectangular mesh with no bars.
    * Single-piece chrome bumpers
    * Dashboard with a flat, tilted panel finished in grey crackle.

Classic but needs tuning to engine or a swap with 1750 or 2000 engine.

BEST INVESTMENT

Giulia Sprint GT Veloce (1965–1968)

Tipo: 105.36. Right hand drive tipo: 105.37. Motore: 00536.

The Giulia Sprint GT Veloce was very similar to the original Giulia Sprint GT. It featured minor modifications to the engine, providing just 3 bhp more power, but significantly improved torque. It can be most easily distinguished from other models by the following features:

* Badging as per Giulia Sprint GT, with two additions: Round enamel badges on the C-pillar with a Green quadrifoglio (cloverleaf) on an ivory background, and chrome "Veloce" script on rear panel.
    * Grille with black mesh and 3 horizontal chrome bars.
    * Dashboard with tilted flat panel as on the Giulia Sprint GT but with imitation woodgrain instead of grey crackle finish (first seen on the GT 1300 Junior).
    * Front seats revised to a mild "bucket" design.
    * Grille heart has 7 bars instead of 6.
    * Stainless steel bumpers, as opposed to the chromed mild steel bumpers on the Giulia Sprint GT. The bumpers are the same shape, but made in two pieces (front) and three pieces (rear) with small covers hiding the joining rivets.

Early Giulia Sprint GT Veloces featured the same Dunlop disk brake system as the Giulia Sprint GT. Later cars replaced this with the ATE disk brakes as pioneered on the GT 1300 Junior in 1966. The ATE brakes featured an interesting and more effective handbrake system on the rear brakes, which incorporated drum brakes inside the disk castings.

A total of 14,240 Giulia Sprint GT Veloces were made before production finished.

MY FAVOURITE NEED NO MODIFICATIONS; GOOD AS IS

1750 GT Veloce (1967–1971)

Tipo: 105.44. Right hand drive tipo: 105.45. Motore: 00548

The 1750 GTV appeared in 1967 along with the 1750 Berlina sedan and 1750 Spider. The same type of engine was used to power all three versions; this rationalisation was a first for Alfa Romeo.

The 1750 GTV replaced the Giulia Sprint GT Veloce and introduced many updates and modifications. Most significantly, the engine capacity was increased to 1779 cc displacement (80 mm bore × 88.5 mm stroke, 6.61l oil capacity, 9.58l radiator capacity). Peak power from the engine was increased to 122 PS (90 kW; 120 hp) at 5500 rpm. The stroke was lengthened from 82 to 88.5 mm over the 1600 engine, and a reduced rev limit from 7000 rpm to 6000 rpm. Maximum torque was increased to 186 N·m (137 lb·ft) at 3000 rpm. A higher ratio final drive was fitted (10/41 instead of 9/41) but the same gearbox ratios were retained. The result was that, on paper, the car had only slightly improved performance compared to the Giulia Sprint GT Veloce, but on the road it was much more flexible to drive and it was easier to maintain higher average speeds for fast touring. For the United States market, the 1779 cc engine was fitted with a fuel injection system made by Alfa Romeo subsidiary SPICA, to meet emission control laws that were coming into effect at the time. Carburettors were retained for other markets.

The chassis was also significantly modified. Tire size went to 165/14 from 155/15 and wheel size to 5 1/2J x 15 instead of 5J x 15, giving a wider section and slightly smaller rolling diameter. The suspension geometry was also revised, and an anti-roll bar was fitted to the rear suspension. ATE disk brakes were fitted from the outset, but with bigger front disks and calipers than the ones fitted to GT 1300 Juniors and late Giulia Sprint GT Veloces. The changes resulted in significant improvements to the handling and braking, which once again made it easier for the driver to maintain high average speeds for fast touring.

The 1750 GTV also departed significantly from the earlier cars externally. New nose styling eliminated the "stepped" hood of the Giulia Sprint GT, GTC, GTA and early GT 1300 Juniors and incorporated four headlamps. United States market 1750 GTV's also featured larger rear light clusters. Besides the chrome "1750" badge on the bootlid, there was also a round Alfa Romeo badge. Similar Quadrofoglio badges to those on the Giulia Sprint GT Veloce were fitted on C pillars, but the Quadrofoglio was coloured gold instead of green. The car also adopted the higher rear wheelarches first seen on the GT 1300 Junior.

The interior was also much modified over that of earlier cars. There was a new dashboard with large speedometer and tachometer instruments in twin binnacles closer to the driver's line of sight. The instruments were mounted at a more conventional angle, avoiding the reflections caused by the upward angled flat dash of earlier cars. Conversely, auxiliary instruments were moved to angled bezels in the centre console, further from the driver's line of sight than before. The new seats introduced adjustable headrests which merged with the top of the seat when fully down. The window winder levers, the door release levers and the quarterlight vent knobs were also restyled. The remote release for the boot (trunk) lid, located on the inside of the door opening on the B-post just under the door lock striker, was moved from the right hand side of the car to the left hand side. The location of this item was always independent of whether the car was left hand drive or right hand drive.

Early (Series 1) 1750 GTV's featured the same bumpers as the Giulia Sprint GT Veloce, with the front bumper modified to mount the indicator / sidelight units on the top of its corners.

The Series 2 1750 GTV of 1970 introduced other mechanical changes, including a dual circuit braking system (split front and rear, with separate servos). The brake and clutch pedals on left hand drive cars were also of an improved pendant design, instead of the earlier floor-hinged type. On right hand drive cars the floor-hinged pedals were retained, as there was no space for the pedal box behind the carburettors. Externally, the series 2 1750 GTV is identified by new, slimmer bumpers with front and rear overriders. The combined front indicator and sidelight units were now mounted to the front panel instead of the front bumper. The interior was slightly modified, with the seats retaining the same basic outline but following a simpler design.

44,269 1750 GTVs were made before their replacement came along

NOW NICE TO DRIVE BUT NOT SO NICE TO LOOK AT

2000 GT Veloce (1971–1976)

The 2000 GTV was introduced in 1971 together with the 2000 Berlina sedan and 2000 Spider. The 2000 range was the replacement for the 1750 range. Once again the engine was rationalized throughout the range. The engine displacement was increased to 1962 cc with a change of the bore and stroke to 84 mm × 88.5 mm. Oil and radiator capacities remained unchanged. The engine produced 132 PS (97 kW; 130 hp) at 5500 rpm with the SPICA fuel injection, which, once again, was only fitted to cars destined for the United States market, with carburetors retained for other markets producing 132 PS (112 kW; 132 hp).

The interior trim was also changed, with the most notable differences being the introduction of a separate instrument cluster, instead of the gauges installed in the dash panel in earlier cars.
    Externally the 2000 GTV is most easily distinguished by the following features:

* Grille with horizontal chrome bars, featuring protruding blocks forming the familiar Alfa heart in outline.
    * Smaller hubcaps with exposed wheel nuts.
    * Optional aluminum alloy wheels of the same size as the standard 5. 1/2J × 14 steel items, styled to the "turbina" design first seen on the alloy wheels of the Alfa Romeo Montreal. "Turbina" refers to the wheel's resemblance to a jet engine inlet.
    * The larger rear light clusters first fitted to United States market 1750 GTV's were standard for all markets on the 2000 GTV.

From 1974 on, the 105 Series coupe models were rationalized and these external features became common to post-1974 GT 1300 Junior and GT 1600 Junior models, with only few distinguishing features marking the difference between models. See below.

37,459 2000 GTVs were made before production ended

LEAST WANTED, BUT STILL GOOD CARS

GT 1300 Junior (1965–1977)

Tipo: 105.30. Right hand drive tipo: 105.31. Motore: 00530. Motore, 1974 on: 00530*S.

TThere are two types of Juniors. I would not think too much of if it is 1600 or 1300. You want to swap he engine to a 1750 or 2000 anyways. A 1300 with 2000 engine makes for really fun acceleration. The old ones with the so called "step front" is the most popular and demand the highest prices.
    C Lundem
    Norway

In short I would say, the car you really want is the GTV 1750. Sweet engine and the best design. (With Zagato chairs).
    I have elaborated an answer for this, but it was 10000 letters long and had to be approved by the moderators!-) Well see if it find its way her. Good luck hunting.

This may be helpful. Not all facts are correct but is helpful.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfa_Ro...es_Coup%C3%A9s

All Alfas respond well to hotter camshafts and light suspension mods. If you want the thing to fly start with a TS engine (from Alfa 75).
    Here you can buy the stuff or just drool...

http://www.alfaholics.com/
    Last edited by BlutorangeS; 01-30-2011 at 11:27 PM.
    C Lundem
    Norway

Personally i prefer early generation step front giulia Sprint (63-68). I just love the flat dash board lay out, very sexy! I agree with Lundem about engine swap. easy to do and it will make the car much more fun to drive. You can always store the original engine and trans. Lot's of fun stuff can be have for Alfa. place like alfaholic.com have everything you can imagine to make the car a blast to drive.
    cheers

Lundem,
    I have see some step front Giulia sprint with later pod like dash board. which year is the flat type dash board stop producing? thanks
    cheers
    tenn
    EarlyS #1342

I think Lundem summed it up quite nicely.

My favorite would be the Zagato-built Junior Z 1600 for the most fun and best handling (Yes, I am partial to that car ). Needs to be kept on the boil, but that's the fun, isn't it?

Then a stepnose Giulia Sprint GT Veloce for the unbeatable looks from the front end and more torque-y engine. Then a 64 - 66 Giulia Sprint GT - As the engine to the GTV is not that much different.

All subsequent models suffered in style. While still pretty cool and tons of fun, they do not look as good as the stepnose cars. Though a series 1 1750 comes close and is highly cherrished.

Oh, and all preferably NOT in red
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mike Baum; 01-31-2011 at 07:17 AM.
    Mike Baum #505

57 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint
    60 Citroën ID
    61 Lancia Appia Vignale Convertibile
    64 Alfa Romeo Giulia TI
    66 Lancia Flavia Sport Zagato
    69 911S Targa (Soft Window)
    72 Alfa Romeo Junior Zagato 1600

That Zagato is sweet!!!
    cheers
    tenn
    EarlyS #1342

Quote Originally Posted by tennster View Post
    Personally i prefer early generation step front giulia Sprint (63-68). I just love the flat dash board lay out, very sexy! I agree with Lundem about engine swap. easy to do and it will make the car much more fun to drive. You can always store the original engine and trans. Lot's of fun stuff can be have for Alfa. place like alfaholic.com have everything you can imagine to make the car a blast to drive.
    cheers

Lundem,
    I have see some step front Giulia sprint with later pod like dash board. which year is the flat type dash board stop producing? thanks
    cheers
    tenn
    Tenn - I am on shaky ground here, but think 68-69. with the introduction of the 1750, when stepfronts became Juniors. But it is italian, so who knows!-) What is the induction system on your Giulia? Seems some nice throttle body arrangement?

Mike, very nice Zagato. I had one - should not have sold that one either! I am with you on red. Not a good colour for Porsches or Alfas. I will look at a white series one 1750 this spring, but then I have to sell the 2002. Thats how it goes! So many cars so little time (well space).

Cheers,

Christer
    C Lundem
    Norway

Here is a nice looking one for sale
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Alfa-...fCarsQ5fTrucks
    Spencer
    Early911s #1912
    '60 356B Roadster
    '69 911T 2.8 MFI
    '69 911S