Thread: McQueen's LeMans Driving Suit

McQueen's LeMans Driving Suit

For all you Steve McQueen/Michael Delaney nuts out there, McQueen's LeMans driving suit appears to be up for sale here in Toronto. If I owned a Gulf 917 I think I'd have to have this suit too.

http://www.collectorstudio.com/index...&pagenum=2&cl=

A.T.
    A.T.
    Early 911S Registry Member #500

Pretty cool. I wonder how much "very, very expensive" is?...
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

"If you have to ask....."

I thought it would be cool to own and was willing to pay $20K for the suit. Apparently they want $100K for it.

ex squeeze me ....beg you pudding .... how much
    John Gausden
    Auckland, New Zealand

(shipping carson,CA)
    Early911nz.org
    ST-Classic.com
    ST-Classic Facebook
    "Funding my obsession one nut at a time"

I think either of these items were a better buy :

Bonhams & Butterfields ("Classic California , Important Motorcycles, Motorcars and Memorabilia") / Nov. 14, 2009 :

Sale 17333 Lot 316

The ex-Steve McQueen,1940 Indian 74ci Chief Frame no. 341248 Engine no. CDO2863B

Sold for $99,450 inclusive of Buyer's Premium

Sale 17333 Lot 305

The ex-Steve McQueen, The Property of Barbara Minty McQueen - unrestored, and as Steve last drove it,1949 Chevrolet 3100 Pick-up Chassis no. 3GP-K30125

Sold for $35,100 inclusive of Buyer's Premium
    Attached Images Attached Images

In fact , I think i'd even rather have this (same auction) :

Lot No: 198

An autographed Steve McQueen 'mug shot' photograph,
    framed and glazed, 8in x 10in.

Sold for $1,638 inclusive of Buyer's Premium

Footnote:
    In 1972, Steve McQueen was arrested for drunk driving in Anchorage, Alaska. According to witnesses, the movie star raced through town in a rented Oldsmobile Toronado. When Police finally managed to pull him over and perform a sobriety test, he failed by somersaulting down the white line, on which he was ordered to walk.

This photo was most likely printed at the Police Station at the time of his arrest, and was personalized to the people he was drinking/partying with before his arrest, and/or the arresting officers. McQueen posted bail and left town, but not before signing autographs while still in handcuffs. He was convicted in absentia for reckless driving.
    Attached Images Attached Images