Thread: Paging Ray Crawford and Dan Byers

Paging Ray Crawford and Dan Byers

Everyone:
    Isn't it time to plan a track day at SOW for the enthusiasts, wannabees and hangers on?
    We usually have a fall date and a spring date for R Gruppe and other area Porsche track stars willing to flog the Germans around the circuit for a fun day out.

Seems like spring has sprung and we have not had the pleasure of seeing Dan the last few times out, could it be time boys?

ready to rock.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

deluxeco
    +1. When? I was there today with POC. Great weather.
    Ian Smith
    ES # 1523
    Skateboards
    Bicycles
    Motorcycles
    Truck
    Carrera

Magnus may havebeen niped by the 964 bug, I won't say bitten but after a few very hot laps he came in with a grin from ear to ear and said "lot's of umph and power brakes, very interesting car, no drama." and "I have not driven a Porsche at a track that was less that almost 40 years old, very comfortable". And for about the cost of a 73 T that needs everything.

Even more so on the way back as we phoned eachother for weather reports, poor chap was pulled over in his 72 race car on slicks, nothing wrong with Magnus' car control in the wet but no wipers!! my biggest problem was setting the frequency on the intermittent wipers the 964 comes with stock and changing the CD. You really feel the racing heritage on the track but thank goodness for the Autobahn heritage on the way home in a downpour.

Here are a few shots, Magnus exiting the skidpad under full Gs, pretty stable. A nice shot of the weather conditions and getting a hand from the starter Minnie Mouse.

A very nice day out with POC, well run, good people and plenty of lap time. Freezing cold and windy and rain shut down the track except for parade laps but it was great to drive the car in the rain on the line and see just where throttle input could steer the car and tighten the line, a lot like an early car but slower turn in and needs a precise hand and foot not to start plowing.

I was able to con John AKA Otto into coming out with me for a session and benefitted from some great tips, Magnus also rode a session and we may have settled the "how to take the bowl" argument. A very trick 75S belonging to a young Hergesheimer (the whole family are hot shoes) passed us and took the bowl up high in the traditional line waiting to swoop down on the apex. We took the "Otto" line braking in a straight line with the left tire clipping the inside of the track, shooting up the bowl, rotating and then diving to the apex. We gained about 6 car lengths on the better handling, lighter AutoX champ....who then left us for dead through the twisties after the bowl.

Colin Chapman's edict to "add lightness" was much in evidence: my solo runs in the 1st, warmup sessions were a full second and a half quicker than the later runs with Otto and Magnus in the right seat. Even though by then I was flying around the circuit, just goes to show what all that door panel removal, sunroof welding, radio delete can do for you....right up until the skies open on the way home and the heater is worth it's weight in gold!

very poetic indeed...

the ride back on hoosiers in the rain with no wipers or heat in a poor running car
    is no fun.....
    but it does build character!

Ray, you can run but you can't hide.

Magnus: He who dares wins.
    (Your starter for 10, whose motto is that)

Gburner
    RG SPD Buttonwillow May the 12th pass it on.
    Ray and Dan in charge.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbeverlyhills View Post
    Ray, you can run but you can't hide.
    We are not hiding..(Dan and I) its the other 25 guys we need to make this happen who hide...commit, then fall out, then committ again, or just show up the day of because they never did commit
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ray Crawford
    Early S Registry #271
    R Gruppe #255
    '70 911 S Coupe 2.9 w/MFI Twin Plug "Flairs n Chairs"
    '72 911 S Targa 2.4 w/MFI

Gee, sounds like my wife!

I will post a new thread asking for sign ups......