Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The most famous 911S in the world

Drive it like you stole it Ghost Chaser's Avatar

The most famous 911S in the world

It's a rainy Sunday morning here in my little corner of the world. I'm bored, still in my bathrobe, and don't feel like going down to the garage yet to get some real work done. So let's have some fun.

Over in another thread, one of our senior members wrote that he believes the McQueen Le Mans car to be "the most famous 911S in the world."

So, as this is the 911S registry, I ask: Gentlemen, which do you think is the most famous 911S in the world? Extra points awarded for explaining why. Extra-extra points for humor and photos.

Seems simple enough. Let's hear it.

Cheers,
    Rich
    Rich

Early S Registry Member #1394.

It's nobody's business what cars I own. I will tell you one thing though, they're air cooled and I beat 'em like they owe me money.

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. -- Mario Andretti

Hi Rich,

I'm not doing much better here on the other side of the lake! Still hanging about in my pyjamas at home!

So, as far as 911s are concerned (not talking about rsr, rs, 911r, just 911s), I believe that the McQueen Le Mans car is the most famous 911s in the world because:

It featured in the opening scenes of Porsche's most famous movie Le Mans, was driven and owned by the king of cool, Steve McQueen, and looks absolutely beautiful:

and also because I made a copy of it for myself:

Last edited by Milou; 02-20-2011 at 02:01 AM.

Milou / Registry #884
    www.ecurielyford.com

And Milou takes all the points!
    Alan Domme
    Austin, TX
    '68 912 coupe
    '16 VW Golf R
    Early 911S Registry #1361
    912 Registry

Well, almost all the points. Gotta deduct at least one point for TTG fog lights instead of under bumper, another for euro turn signals (Steve was driving with US signals). Otherwise the resemblance is pretty close. Milou does your car also have sunroof, a/c and non sport seats? I never understood why Steve would not have ordered the car without sportseats. It wasn't a money thing - although it might be now!

Quote Originally Posted by gruen911 View Post
    . . . Well, almost all the points. Gotta deduct at least one point for TTG fog lights instead of under bumper, another for euro turn signals . . . .
    Don't forget the US-spec 'sugar-scoops' . . .

Quote Originally Posted by gruen911 View Post
    . . . . I never understood why Steve would not have ordered the car without sportseats . . . .
    Or with wheel-well trim. And a muffler-skirt.

But no LSD?

Rick Kreiskott
    Last edited by LongRanger; 02-20-2011 at 06:09 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

Agreed. Thomas you have nailed it with the LeMans 911. But your car certainly receives honorable mention and stands on it's own merits as Sifert's personal car which has some very unique history. Your's is one my personal favorites.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

It does have a sunroof, an aluminum skirt and wheel arch trims but I also have sport seats! Apparently when new, sport seats were not as popular as they have become today. I couldn't help with the TTG lights, they just look too good.

Now as far as the most famous 911, what about the 1965 911 that ran at Monte Carlo?

or the other 911 that still belongs to the McQueen family today?

Milou / Registry #884
    www.ecurielyford.com

Great Post for Frank, just before he sells it! Tooo Bad the rest of the folks that will bid on this really cool car (who really cares if a nut on the engine is yellow or black, or the fan belt isn't OG), will not see all of these "Interesting" Post on this McQueen Dream car! My vote is "This is absolutely thee "S" of "Sesss"!

If the Post asked, which is the most fa-mouse 911...........the sky is the limit!! My vote would be the "Tour De France" winning 911R. Or maybe that early 911 Proto that had the fins. Heck I always liked the Troutman 4 door 911 too and then there is the........................................

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    But no LSD?
    According to Matt Stone's research, McQueen sent the film-prop '70 S back to Zuffenhausen for re-gearing and an LSD before shipping it to L.A. after the movie shoot.

If you really want to take a trip down the rabbit hole, search "Porsche 911" on the Internet Movie Cars Database...

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicles.php?ma...elInclModel=on

famoso 911S

That's complete BS...."if" there is a famous 911S, it would Chad's car. Steve actually drove that one !!

Whatever the CO gets for this car, 1/2 the do$h should go to the Rgruppe. If wasn't for Cris's mantra, this car and this discussion would be moot.

When the car was For Sale after Mr McQueens passing, the Trust couldn't sell it $12,000 here in Los Angeles and that wasn't really that long ago ( circa 1988 ). I would guess the Judge only ended up paying $10,000 for it.

Someone is "zooming" someone here.
    [FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]
    Curt Autenrieth
    S Registry # 152

Porsches:
    1.6L 2.7L
    1.8L 3.0L
    2.0L 3.2L
    2.2L 3.4L h20 cooled
    2.4L 3.6L air & h20 cooled
    3.8L