Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 911R - rear decklid hinges - oil filler position?

911R - rear decklid hinges - oil filler position?

Hi, I am getting well and away with a 911R(eplica).

Its being built as authentic as the budget allows. Fiberglass fenders, bonnet, decklid, doors, bumpers, lightweight interior, latex-polycarbonate windows, plastic door handles, center fill and so on..

I am a week or two away from painting it.

Does anyone have the correct position for the decklid hinges and the oil filler through fender hole?

Lots of pix here
    http://s412.photobucket.com/albums/p...o_R/?start=all
    --

12.5" seem to do the work.
    http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...asurement.html

Credit to Clint (rebel racing for the pic)
    Last edited by teveo; 02-21-2011 at 09:11 AM.
    --

picture removed ... i checked the website and this photographer states copyrights and no use.. i'll stick to 25 cm from the outer perimeter, thats a perfect german solution!
    Last edited by teveo; 02-21-2011 at 09:11 AM.
    --

If you poke around on this site I think Bill Noon measured the hinge locations and posted them a couple of years back.

Thanks .. did a search but could not find it. I edited another pic ( credit to the photographer) and I think just short of 25 cm from the outer edge will be fine.
    Last edited by teveo; 02-21-2011 at 12:06 PM.
    --

Hello Teveo-
    Looks like you still need the oil tank hole dimensions. These are the dimensions from 008 R. Good luck!

Name:  02.21.11 004-resize.jpg
Views: 792
Size:  33.5 KB

Name:  02.21.11 003-resize.jpg
Views: 857
Size:  46.2 KB

Name:  02.21.11 001-resize.jpg
Views: 834
Size:  46.8 KB

I had to recruit my Website Girl (my Daughter Jesea) to post the photos....... (didn't tell her which rule to use)...............cause I dunno hows to! I was actually polishing my headlights, so as, not to get in anymore trouble!

Hey Raj, looking at your oil cap (and I love the "Patina"), It reminds me of how many oil tanks I had to clean the gas outta (1972 911) when I had a Porsche Repair Shop a Millennium ago!

KJ

Raj,

We never knew, it was only enough to alarm the person (don't wanna get in trouble saying it was normally the _ _ men) doing the deed, that "whats the problem with the gas gauge because it still says empty but I filled it up to the top.....no it didn't seem to take much to fill it!!"

The cars were normally driven to the shop and after draining the oil and a filter replacement never had any problems......at least the ones we did. It was a HUGE problem for the 72' year. I opened my shop circa 1974-75 so how many did it already happen to. I was in So. OC Cali, so lots of Porscheee's there to have the problem.

That gives me an idea for a new post.

KJ

KJ & Ray,

many thanks, those pix will guide me in marking and cutting the fender, from the pix it seems like Porsche used both 90 & 100 mm filler openings.
    Maybe they just cut out holes and bumped the flanges on "gefühl", when being built these cars must have been "going somewhere" fast ...

Seems like I can use a 3 1/4" (82 mm) or 3 1/2" (89 mm) metal hole saw leaving enough material to hammer and dolly a 3 - 5 mm inwards flange like in the photos. Maybe 3 1/4" as the hole saw usually grabs a little more than its diameter.

The decklid was just installed with centers 25 cm from the drain channels and it pops up and does not bind.

Trond
    --

Hole came out at 94 mm so its just between the measures from KJ & Raj. The point of no return ...
    --