Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loaded question but: Where are values of driver "S" targas these days

Loaded question but: Where are values of driver "S" targas these days

Hello, I thought I would open a discussion about the open air versions and try to tap into the expertise, knowledge and experience of this forum.
    Although I am sure to be ridiculed for lack of specifics, I am currently looking toward an open S longhood as a replacement to my recently sold 993 coupe. I do not want a museum piece that I would be afraid to drive, nor do I have the desire to pay for such.
    I desire a solid, no rust, mostly complete, S targa that can be a little scruffy with even a color change and some other small deductions of non originality.
    My Question: What is such a car worth in today's market?
    I currently own a hotrod 86 coupe, so another coupe would seem redundant.
    All opinions and expertise welcome. Thanks in advance. Regards, Steve
    Last edited by Fredie; 02-23-2011 at 03:51 PM.

Steve,

Welcome to the board. If you are ridiculed it will be in jest so try to take it as such. From my experience of compulsively searching for early 911s over a three year period I can tell you that a driver quality LWB (69-73) S will run between 45K and 55K. At this price the car will likely be matching numbers and may require some mechanical freshening. SWB 911 S SWT and HWT tend to go for 60K and up. The Soft window cars are rarer and command higher values.

LWB Example http://www.forzamotorsports.com/1971...1s/default.htm
    SWB Example I couldn't find one which perhaps speaks to their rarity.

Happy hunting.

Dave
    Registry Member #1583
    '73 911 S Aubergine (VIN#9113301295)

Thanks Dave, Anyone else care to join in and help a fellow OCD 911phile. Thanks

I spend a lot of my time here putting up cars-for-sale that I come across. I'd suggest you go and look at the 911S Cars for Sale sticky and look over some of the posts. 'S Targa' covers a lot of ground. And prices are kinda all over the place.

I will say that '. . . a solid, no rust, mostly complete, S targa that can be a little scruffy. . .' is the car everybody's looking for so . . .

You might consider widening your search to include E-cars. There was a really nice SWT sold last month . . .

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...or-Sale/page16 (see post #155)

E-cars are just as rare. And --- over the last year --- their asking-prices have been sky-rocketing. Might tide you over . . . and it beats sitting.

Hope this helps.

……………...
    Last edited by LongRanger; 02-03-2020 at 03:52 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

Interesting reading here as well...

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ad-911S/page46
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

" I will say that '. . . a solid, no rust, mostly complete, S targa that can be a little scruffy. . .' is the car everybody's looking for so . . ."

That is pretty funny I have been working for 20+ years to get mine up to that standard. $45K would be cheap.

I must say I am having a blast working on my 75- and don't have so much of an investment in it that I will be hesitant to drive it.

But I understand your quest.
    Chuck

Early 911S registry #380
    '70S
    '75S
    '96 C4S
    '65 R69S

Yes, I hear what your are saying. I know my quest is the proverbial broken record. Thanks to those that have taken the time to respond. I do appreciate all models of the early cars. I have had at least a couple of each in my 25+ year romance with the Marque. However, I am bent on an "S" that I would not hesitate to drive frequently. No Pebble beach anywhere near my garage. The early cars have a feel, sound and smell that is all there own. Otherwise I'll just backdate a 3.2 and be done. But that is just talking smack. The search is part of the fun, albeit obsession for these cars. Regards, Steve

Well, have fun with the search- this is the right place to learn more about them, and keep track of the market. Be careful when you buy as there are a lot of wickedly expensive parts that make an S. A bargain on a stripped car with the right chassis number isn't always a bargain. People tend to buy the cars, sell off the expensive parts, and then sell the "shell" for big $$. Not that there is anything wrong with that, just be careful and know what you are getting. One other note- there are lots of European cars that were imported into the US- be careful with rust/rust repairs. By the time my car was 10 years old (1980), it was a total rust bucket. So even if you get a car that has been stored in a garage for 30 years, it could still require a total rebuild.
    Chuck

Early 911S registry #380
    '70S
    '75S
    '96 C4S
    '65 R69S

Very good advice for anyone. I remember back in the day, in my neck of the woods, the 80's specifically, most longhood cars were in need of a front pan, fenders, outer rockers... Not to mention the cars that had been driven in the salt of winter. Pure powder held together with undercoating, seeking mother earth. Parts cars for sure. That is if the parts could be reconditioned for use due to the harsh elements. I'll stay away from the comments of Rinspeed conversions and body kits ahoy etc.. We just did not know at the time what it meant to chop up an old 911. However, that is what makes the good surviving inventory that much more of a pleasure to find. The hunt continues. Thanks again for the great perspectives.

Bump for a current market opinion. Regards, Steve
    Steve ESR#1934