Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Detroit GP Pics

Curt, again great shots of a bygone era. Little bit of trivia that I don't think I shared with you.... My uncle raced with some of those guys as they came up through Formula Atlantic in the 70's. Keke Rosberg and Gilles Villeuneve were two that went through that series briefly on thier rise to F1.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

I remember '83 Spanish and French GP's above my father shoulders ... I was 8 years old my favourite was always those 'blue' Ligier cars actually my father smoked Gitanes cigarretes in those days!!!

Thanks for the memories Curt!!

David
    _
    “Simplify and add lightness” Colin Chapman

ex-1988 Carrera, ex-1991 Turbo, ex-1992 968, ex-1990 Carrera 2, ex-1997 Carrera 4

Curt,
    Great shots, I went to a couple Detroit GP's, all you could really see was the drivers helmets fly by. The most memorable experience was my GF (now my wife) almost getting mowed down a two wheeler stacked with tires.
    Phil
    Early S Junkie # 658

Quote Originally Posted by t6dpilot View Post
    Curt, again great shots of a bygone era. Little bit of trivia that I don't think I shared with you.... My uncle raced with some of those guys as they came up through Formula Atlantic in the 70's. Keke Rosberg and Gilles Villeuneve were two that went through that series briefly on thier rise to F1.
    Hey Scott ... check this out Road America 1979. Cliff Hansen.

hansen IMGP7890.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like a March 79B...........
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Curt, now that is cool! Small world, eh? Yes Chuck, that is a March 79B - his last year in FA. The next year or so he took off and then decided to try his hand at F2 in Europe. I have been conducting an on again off again search for some of his old FA cars to see if they are still around. LeGrand Mk V, GRD FA, March 75B, 76B, 77B, 78B, and 79B. I actually found the LeGrand some years ago and it is still with the same owner in SoCal. He is not interested in selling, but told him that when he does, look me up. I also found the GRD around the same time and believe it or not, it was for sale. Unfortunately, I did not have the funds at the time and it got sold into Sweden where it resides today. Our own Thomas Lundevall has actually helped me and thinks that he has located the car. The Marches, no luck at this point - but I have not asked much about them.

Any of you SoCal guys tied into the 70's racing scene want to help me network for the March cars? I think the guys who were involved in the cars at the time are still around the car scene. Curt, do you have any more?
    Last edited by t6dpilot; 03-09-2011 at 04:24 AM.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

Thumbs up

Scott,

Helped a buddy with a '73 BT-40 in the early 80's...
    It was the last factory customer Brabham chassis type built...
    Beautiful wedge type body but even with later up-grades by the early 80's it was WAY out gunned by the 'new stuff' like the B79's and RT-1's

Anyway, if you don't already know this site might be a good start for just the contacts...
    http://www.race-cars.com/carsold/formulaatlantic.htm

Cheers
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Thanks Chuck. Yes, I do peruse that site from time to time. My uncle Cliff has given me a sketchy history on the March cars, who he sold them to, ect. Names like T. Titmus and S. Jennings repeat throughout the story. I need to look those guys up sometime to see what I can figure out. One of the chassis went to Mexico - I think it was the 77B. I would really like to find the 75B as I like those lines the best. One of the chassis was darn close to a write off at Sears Point - bad accident (could have been Laguna, can't remember off the top of my head right now).

BT-40, neat car. I had the hots (still do) for a BT-29 or BT-30 as a logical next step from the Lotus 22.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

Scott - That's the only one of your uncle. Jacques Villeneuve (Sr.) won the race. Those FA races were lots of fun to watch. I wonder if some of the cars were cannibalized into U2 2nd generation CanAm cars?

The original slide above is actually in pretty sharp focus. Again, I'm holding these up to a window and just snapping a digital photo so the results here are crappy.IMGP7932 a.jpg

Curt, I don't want to hijack your thread. Do you mind if I post some pics of Cliff's cars over the years? I have become the "keeper" of Cliff's photos and stuff that we had accumulated over the years. I know I have some of the LeGrand at a track in SoCal (Willow Springs?), at the Long Beach Grand Prix in '78 (FA was a supporting event to F1 that year), and other tracks over the years. He tells me that he held the track record at Willow for some years back then.

My scanner doesn't work, so will have to probably snap some digital photos of prints. I'll try to get to that tonight if you want some additional shots. I even have his promotional video in Beta from when he tried to find F2 sponsorship. I think he was driving a Ralt RT-2 at the time. Pretty cool stuff.
    Last edited by t6dpilot; 03-09-2011 at 12:00 PM.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T