Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car transporter help - Albuquerque, NM to Eugene, OR

Car transporter help - Albuquerque, NM to Eugene, OR

Thought I had this under control, but it all fell apart today.

My car is ready to go in Albuquerque. Need it hauled to Eugene. Carrier I had lined up has bailed, says he had some cancellations and no longer has enough cars to make the run. Has posted the load on some "load board" for other carriers to pull from, but somehow I'm not optimistic.

Anyone have any recommendations?
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

Is it able to be driven on and off the trailer? I use Passport enclosed trailers. Expensive but the car shows up without drama.
    72S, 72T now ST

He probably put it on Central Dispatch, that is where most of the truckers build their loads. It can be very hit or miss but there is a rating system, so you can weed out the bad guys, if you're on there. If you go through a broker you have no such access. Also, be very careful on U-Ship. We sold a car to a guy one time, a 64 C Coupe, he didn't want to use my shipper he saved $100 by booking some cowboy on U-ship. The guy shows up in a converted motor home that is full of furniture, he double booked. He unloads the furniture in my yard loads the car and then re-loads the furniture, on top of said car. It was hard to watch.

My main piece of advice is don't get cheap when it comes to shipping a car you care about. Expect to spend $1200-2000. If they damage the car you will never see a dime. I've danced with insurance companies for months, and never gotten a nickel. If it's damaged, you just eat it.

---Adam
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!
    Early 911S Registry Member 1372
    Check out Unobtanium-Inc.com
    New blog posts all the time!

That photo reminds me of all the reasons why I hate people!
    72S, 72T now ST

I'm well aware of the hazards of just booking whoever to haul a car. That's why I'm so annoyed. The guy who just today cancelled on me was one I had used before and I was satisfied with. Figured that with a known quantity I could avoid having to vet a new hauler.

Obviously don't want to spend more than I have to, but I do need it hauled so I need to pay what it costs. I don't own a truck and car trailer myself, so I'm at their mercy.

Scott, the car will move under its own power if I get a battery in it. Can probably arrange that with the seller. But the brakes are pretty much non-op other than the hand brake.

I will see if I can find Passport and contact them for a quote.
    - Arne

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

Yeah, that's the whole deal whether or not is can be driven on and off the trailer. If not then you're dealing with a whole other type of transport.
    72S, 72T now ST

Here are some more horror stories, mainly dealing with non-op vehicles.

https://unobtaniuminc.wordpress.com/...g-of-porsches/
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!
    Early 911S Registry Member 1372
    Check out Unobtanium-Inc.com
    New blog posts all the time!

I've used these fellows as have many NW Collectors:

Both Randy and Fred communicate between themselves, so it does not matter who you call.

FYI: Randy McKinley: maxiet@gmail.com (360) 661-1734 - Fred Koller: fkoller@earthlink.net (702) 361-1928

They do nation wide and lots of west coast work. Very dependable/efficient.

Best of luck.

DJ

Name:  HPIM0056.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  128.5 KB

Three days down. Three back. Plus a nice story to write up about the trip. I wish I remember who took the ‘68 SWT to California. They were very careful with the car and it was one of the low end cars they were transporting.
    John Thompson

1966 912. My first car. Bought it Nov. 25, 1988. Still have it.

Yeah, if you can dodge weather. Plus 6-7 nights in motels, food, fuel and both truck and trailer rental. Still cheaper to hire it out. But if I can't get it arranged in a reasonable time, that may have to be the route.
    - Arne