Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dmv

Dmv

Am in the UK and bought my car from the US 3 years ago (couldnt afford it now with the exchange differences!!). It came with a bunch of invoices and docs from which i can piece together some of the ownership history.

Is it possible to get a full ownership history from the DMV? And if so, how would i go about it from the UK? Or do i need the help of someone in the US to apply?

Thanks

Andrew

Which 'DMV'? . . .

. . . there 're fifty of 'em

We Can Be Heroes

Depends on the state it came from. In the U.S., vehicles are registered by state and some states allow a history request while others don't. Lots of info online if you spend a little time with Google.

thanks guys - here in little old UK, we have one agency, But we are smaller! Car moved around various states - from the CoA, started in California but was also in North and South Carolina at some point. Have the later years pretty clear, its the early years i dont have. Will try google. Dont have any registrations, only the VIN, hopefully that would be enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougieboy1 View Post
    . . . Car moved around various states - from the CoA, started in California . . .
    For CA registration records . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...l=1#post562645

HtH

We Can Be Heroes

For North Carolina vehicle records: https://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/offices-se...e-records.aspx

Still searching on SC, not as straightforward.
    (a) 1970 911T Sportomatic coupe
    (b) 2016 E350 4MATIC wagon; parts hauler for (a)
    ESR #1474

At least in Oregon you would need an attorney to get previous owner information. It was public record not that long ago, but an actress was tracked down using dmv records and if memory serves was murdered.
    Tom F.

'67 911S Slate Gray
    '70 911T 2.8 hotrod (in progress)
    '92 964

Oregon would do that... in response to a murder that happened in California. [LA area]

Swedewerks Survivor Cars SD Swede's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tfiv View Post
    At least in Oregon you would need an attorney to get previous owner information. It was public record not that long ago, but an actress was tracked down using dmv records and if memory serves was murdered.
    No they wouldn't, and haven't. Today, as in the past, for a small fee you can get a complete title history on a vehicle in Oregon.

"Vehicle Title History:
    This includes a certified letter containing details of all title transactions, including all prior owners, dating back to when the vehicle was first titled in Oregon or to the extent DMV has kept such records. Fee: $22.50"
    Peter Andersson #2864
    Pinstriped Early 911 Club #1

When did Oregon start that? I ordered my vehicle history and although all documents came in a thick manila envelope going all the way back, they blacked out all names. This was about 3 years ago. I would love to have the original owners name.