Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 924 Carrera GT pictures

924 Carrera GT pictures

I know it's water-cooled but thought I'd share some pictures of a car I bought last year as a driver, the current 'S' project isn't going to be a car you can just jump in for a quick blast!

Made in 1981 the 924 Carrera GT is a very rare car, only 75 RHD cars made along with the 405 LHD to homologate the GTR version for Le Mans. Being it’s 30th anniversary this year it means the GTR is eligible for Classic Le Mans, should be some on the grid next year.

This one has resided in a couple of important UK collections for most of it's life, first with Lord Mexborough and then with Sir Anthony Bamford where I found it.

Having done just 41000 miles it's complete with original handbook, tool roll, jack and sunroof panel cover. It just needed a few things doing like fabricating a new exhaust as they are NLA, a new fuel accumulator as it was leaking, and a new matrix in the oil cooler. Finished it off with a service and a new windscreen as the old one was de-laminating.

Really pleased with it, just jump in and off you go. Deceptively fast in that you can forget how quick you are going, it’s very quiet and comfortable with electric windows and mirrors and good long legged driving position. The 49/51 weight distribution and 210 hp with a weight of 1180 kg’s means it’s great fun, taking into account the turbo lag, average brakes and heavy steering at low speed of course!

Gearbox has the dogleg first and 911 gear sets, and this one has the optional limited slip diff.

The rear 3 quarter picture shows off it’s best attribute for me, those big rear arches over the 8" fuchs. The interior shot shows that early 80’s iconic pinstripe look, while the engine bay shows the intercooler with the big pipe disappearing down to the KKK turbo which runs at .75 turbo boost.

The drivers view is dominated by the intercooler scoop on the bonnet, just to remind you what’s under there, put the lights on and it gets really busy across the bonnet!

cheers, Mike
    Member#1664
    1972 911 S/RSR to Martini Prototype specification
    http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15294

Wow.........
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"

Congratulations Mike! These are really neat cars. Bought mine in 1988, chassis #150. It does so many things well and I never get tired of looking at it.

Mark

FWIW, total production was 406 which included the 75 RHD examples.
    Last edited by MarkH; 04-03-2011 at 05:46 PM.

I absoultely love these cars. Mike, the whole car is beautiful, but that interior is particularly gorgeous.

Forum member MarkG just acquired a GTS ... he posted it in another thread.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Mike,
    Sent you a PM.
    Mark

I love the 924GT. I was seriously considering buying one instead of an early 911. Very rare car indeed and under appreciated IMO - it should be a must for any collection.

Mike congrats! i sure miss mine. Always regret about letting this one go.
    they are great fun to drive for sure.
    enjoy in good health
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by tennster; 04-06-2011 at 02:43 AM.
    EarlyS #1342

thanks for all the comments guys, glad you like the car! Yes, a great fun drive and definitely underrated, black seems to suit it the best as well!
    cheers, Mike
    Member#1664
    1972 911 S/RSR to Martini Prototype specification
    http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15294

Very nice car Mike. You're right in that the color suits it down to the ground. Saw one of these at the taj garaj, with Dave Conklin when he was showing us around a few years back.
    Karl: E911SR #792 ; RG #420 ; GS #7

'72T Coupe - Sepia Brown

Very nice car Mike! Isn't this the same type car that Derek Bell has owned since new and calls his favorite car?

Also, I think Dixon's 924 at the Taj is a GTR complete with factory aluminum roll cage. Porsche dealer Fred Lavery in Detroit also has a GTR.