Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Facts and Fictions Sportomatic

Surprised you just found this thread Frank, but to be fair there were at least three on your favorite subject starting around a decade ago, so you're forgiven for missing this one. FWIW, I also agree the original SMG was crap.

BTW, what happened with Raj... his presence seems to have been scrubbed. Did I miss something?

Our '68 Sporto now has well over 200K miles on it, and yeah, it's my wife's car. I still enjoy driving it.

I would LOVE to know all about the King of Sportos. Why was I not contacted?
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

Banned
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...843-orig-miles

Were you in a coma Russ?
    About 4 years ago(?) Raj left the sandbox and took his toys with him.

I'm sure he's lurking here somewhere.

Sorry I missed that car, Frank. Very nice!

Not a coma, just deeply involved in finishing up two different restorations. And moving my shop. Twice. Between this and the Samba I might post once a week or so... or sometimes not visit for weeks.
    Looks more like Raj got booted, can't find any of his threads and his ID is gone. Did he commit an unforgivable heresy?
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullethead View Post
    Looks more like Raj got booted, can't find any of his threads and his ID is gone. Did he commit an unforgivable heresy?
    He literally deleted all of his own posts one at a time. Amazing thing to witness... and one of the most childish.

I came across this table referring to sportomatics imported by Porsche Cars GB in 69 and 70. All coupes and rhd except as marked. No targas it says-- incidentally at that time all targas imported UK were LHD with first targas body shell being model year 73 iirc

Thought I would share table on thread with this title before throwing original page out because data might be of interest to some folks. Seems to meet criteria of Sportomatic facts:
    Name:  IMG_20190320_135206.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  129.3 KB

Pity the model was not included in table.
    However it comments they were all T or E; no S Sportos on UK imports those years.

Acknowledgements: PCGB Porsche Post / Porsche Club GB Sportomatic Registry Secretary who compiled it.

The article alludes to other years being covered previously but I don't have any more magazines. Maybe someone in UK has the Porsche Post Magazine circa October 2014 to add whatever was previously covered on other years as pity to lose good fact based legwork even if sporto not everyone's bag
    Last edited by 911MRP; 03-20-2019 at 06:24 AM. Reason: Typos

I have been using my 1972 sporto around town as a daily driver. Very plesant. Especially in traffic.
    It works so well that I wouldnt dream of converting it to manual.
    It is a very unique early 911 experience to drive.
    LOOKING FOR 1967S TRANSMISSION #103586
    Looking For 1969T Engine #6195922
    Looking For 1969T Transmission #7194313

Looking for 1969T Transmission #7195495
    www.tcspeed.com

I wonder how this group feels about the successor to the Sportomatic, the PDK transmission. I have one of each. The 1968 Sporto has never let me down. My brand new PDK transmission had to be replaced (free of charge) after only a month.
    Tony
    68 Sporto Project
    2016 Boxster

And Speaking of RHD S Sportos . . .

Quote Originally Posted by 911MRP View Post
    . . . came across this table referring to sportomatics imported by Porsche Cars GB in 69 and 70. All coupes and rhd except as marked . . . . . .
    Rare cars

Whenever I hear how the system worked, I admit it sounds interesting. But I do like shifting for myself. Then there's the matter of keeping the system alive + functioning miles/years down-the-road. 'Rare' = unavailable = car no drive no mo'

Anyway, here's a '73 --- in purple . . .

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...4S-Sportomatic

And check-out that RHD rear wiper

Attached Images Attached Images  

We Can Be Heroes

Ask a Racer . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Milou View Post
    . . . was able to track down the last owner of my 911 2.2S (originally a 2.2S chassis sent new by the factory from the production line to their "werks" department to be modified for their driver Jo Siffert) . . .

. . .discovered the car as it originally left the werks department when new (in April 1971): The car delivered to Siffert was actually a 2.4S prototype with a sportomatic transmission!
    . . .
    All other 'opinions' aside --- Mr Siffert's last 911 (VIN = 9111301180) was equipped with a Sporto, so . . .

. . . wonder what he thought of 'em?

We Can Be Heroes

Quote Originally Posted by MrJTP2001 View Post
    I wonder how this group feels about the successor to the Sportomatic, the PDK transmission. I have one of each. The 1968 Sporto has never let me down. My brand new PDK transmission had to be replaced (free of charge) after only a month.
    The PDK is amazing. Failure rates are extremely low.
    We have been putting 10k racing track miles on PDK before thinking about replacing them.
    LOOKING FOR 1967S TRANSMISSION #103586
    Looking For 1969T Engine #6195922
    Looking For 1969T Transmission #7194313

Looking for 1969T Transmission #7195495
    www.tcspeed.com