Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Facts and Fictions Sportomatic

I have seen a few Sporto's now that were perfect 10's . The reason being nobody drove them and they just sat and so now 40 years later they look perfect if they were garaged. Chris
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue

Here is an appropo comment from Dan Neil on the 991:

"The second [transmission option], for those who have it bad, is Porsche's new, weirdly retro seven-speed manual, with the seventh-gear gate to the far right, somewhere near the glovebox. The manual is much slower than the double-clutch gearbox [PDK with paddle shifters], but it's a nice, irrational touch for irrational people."

So, basically, it is now the manual transmission people who are the unsporty, slower, behind the times people. The Sportomatic was simply way ahead of its time.

Of course, I personally like dancing my feet with the three pedals. Oh, for the days when we had to adjust the timing on the steering wheel!
    Last edited by Jay Laifman; 02-11-2012 at 07:20 AM.

these new 911's are for people who like to just fluff around. I see alot of women driving the 996 & 997. So it makes sense the next generation 911 will park itself-- you watch. Chris
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue

I think there's a French expression that goes something like "A chacon son gout" which roughly means, "to each, his own." To those who dig Sportomatics, more power to you. As one who drove - and hated - them when they were brand new, I'd never, ever own one. We used to call the "Sportomagic" as in "your performance disappears just like magic". Boxster03 had a beautiful conversion with sport seats a few years back, and I think that's probably the way to go.

I'm chiming in from Switzerland. Happy owner of VIN #118 10405, a 68' L, burgundy red with cream interior.

I've just converted to 5 speed 901. Sporto was more and more difficult to operate. Adjustment of the valve non effective, vacuum leaks everywhere, most parts are unobtainium and if available, really expensive.

Driving the Sporto was definitely pleasant although slightly sluggish. I reallly liked to drive with right foot on the accel and left on the brake. It would be unfair to say that Sportos are for "unmanly men" it's just that they are, were, differently and certainly ahead of time.

I've hesitated for more than 10 years before making the decision to swap to a manual. In the end, it was the only way for me and certainly not something I'd recommend if one can find parts and a knowledgeable tech. Of course I've kept all the parts, but the likelihood of a reverse swap is small as was said earlier. Too bad another Sporto disappeared, but that's my choice.

The French saying is likely "des goûts et des couleurs" or "il en faut pour tous les goûts", (litterally "tastes and colors" or "some is needed for each taste) meaning to each his own.

Can understand the practical reasons for switching trans
    Except when you go to sell and take a $20 grand hit to an other wise original car. IMO better to leave it as a Sporto even if you can not find parts for the car and it has to sit in the barn for 20 years. Better to let the next "buyer" think he can find that gasket.
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

or Water pump
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

On that note, I have a total sporto setup removed from a 911 , and do not need or want it, not a for sale , Who needs parts ??
    pedals, shifter , vacum tank, pedal board, clutch, and so on, I bought it for trans gears, and came with the whole setup.
    Jeff H.
    72 911
    914-6 GT

This is on of the best 68 Sporto i've ever seen in Italy.

Unfortunately only this shot...

Name:  601605.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  91.7 KB

Look at the strange position of the bumperette's bar...

i'm with Raj about the feeling with the sporto gearbox...
    Registry Member #1414
    NOSGRUPPE

Do you still have the Sportomatic parts for sale? If so what is the price.
    Best regards,
    Loren Beggs
    Cell 909-437-2173