Thread: Replacing Window Seals - Best Place to Buy Them?

Replacing Window Seals - Best Place to Buy Them?

Is there a kit available or do I buy them individually? I have a 72 Coupe. Thanks

The old metal reinforced "fuzzy" strips that were in three separate pieces are NLA, unless lying on someone's shelf. The current factory replacement is a single rubberized channel with a fuzzy coating that bends at the corners and is a wonderful piece. Virtually indistinguishable from original when installed and sooooo easy to install. The bitch is getting old metal stuff out without trashing the frames! The quarter stuff, front and rear, are all just rubber gaskets...the rear flip outs being tedious. All from Stoddard or Pelican.....or any dealer. There is no "kit"
    Mark Smedley
    '59 VW Typ I
    '69 911T 2.7
    '86 930
    '04 GT3
    '16 Boxster GTS
    '08 MBZ AMG CLK 63 Black Series

I would recommend original OEM rubber seals.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by 304678 View Post
    I would recommend original OEM rubber seals.

Richard
    Agree with Richard, if you can get it O.E.M. do so. I have never found anything aftermarket that works/fits as well as O.E.M. (especially hood seals) Your 72 uses the aluminum window frames, that window channel is the soft stuff and is the same on all sides of the frame, and is readily available. Only the earlier (SWB) chrome plated brass frames used different depths of channel strips.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

I have been looking for VW stuff to replace the SWB. . . any leads, maybe old bus?
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Quote Originally Posted by 304065 View Post
    I have been looking for VW stuff to replace the SWB. . . any leads, maybe old bus?
    John did you see my recent post on this very subject in the "general" section a few days ago? I bought the ridgid and the soft channels from Stoddard for my 67 and described how I had to do a little "shimming" to make the window fit correctly across the frame. Tom F. suggested that maybe vintage Mercedes might be a source for all of the O.E.M. style hard backed channel. Don't know about VW.....maybe?
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

If you're talking about quarter windows, you want to go with OEM.
    The aftermarket seals are thicker and near impossible to install.
    OEM seals are tuff enough!
    Espo
    75 911 SCRS

NLA, SSF, or Stoddard
    There is never a good substitute for OEM.
    Espo
    75 911 SCRS