Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: USGP Austin

June in Austin is crazy hot! I'll bet it won't be in June in 2013.
    Alan Domme
    Austin, TX
    '68 912 coupe
    '16 VW Golf R
    Early 911S Registry #1361
    912 Registry

mad scientist
    Come On Alan! It was only 103 yesterday.

I agree. Think of all the people from other parts of the US (and other countries) that NEVER experience this kind of heat. I admit I am not yet acclimated to this so early in the year. I just need to spend more time outside.
    1971 911T SWT - Sun and Fun Machine
    1972 911T - "Minne" painted and undergoing assembly.

But it is dry heat only 85% humidity not 100%
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

Austin-area hotels are starting to open up for June 15-17 dates. Only one at the airport is the Courtyard which is already at $700/night. I got a room for those dates at the Hilton-Homewood (~8 miles from track) for $160 a night. Best bang for the buck. Refundable rate too in case they move the race dates.

Book early else you may be far away and paying high $$$... or perhaps Jamie will allow folks to tent in his front yard =)
    -Mike
    EarlyS #1320
    '71 T/RS LWT 3.2L

mad scientist
    Mike, You are right. There was an article in the news yesterday about Lockhart and other surrounding towns that are starting to sell out hotels as well. Everyone in the area is looking to cash in on the F1 hoopla.

I have no problem with a tent in the front or backyard. I am sure my wife and neighbors might have different opinions. Of course, If you come dressed in your favorite team colors, including face paint and head dress along with matching clothes they might understand. Or then again, they are mostly Texans and might not get it. The real question is what should my tent fee be? At least free beer for a night.

btw, also expect HUGE traffic since there is only one two lane road to the track from the main highway. Serial transportation at its finest unless they widen the road. I do not know if there are plans to widen that access road.
    1971 911T SWT - Sun and Fun Machine
    1972 911T - "Minne" painted and undergoing assembly.

Rental Available

Plan to rent out the old homestead to corporate execs for 10k a day
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

Quote Originally Posted by jpnovak View Post
    btw, also expect HUGE traffic since there is only one two lane road to the track from the main highway. Serial transportation at its finest unless they widen the road. I do not know if there are plans to widen that access road.
    I'm with you on the traffic mess, and am even a little scared of being even 8 miles away. I am really putting a lot of effort into renting a 40' RV and parking at the track, with ample early 911 parking in front of it. Here in the Houston area I can get a 40'er, sleeps 6-8, 4 fold-outs, satelite TV, outdoor awning and entertainment area for 4 days for about $1300. Per person a little over $100 a night not too bad. Plus NO traffic!

Will have to wait to see what on-site RV availability and rates are, thus am keeping the hotel room as backup. =)
    -Mike
    EarlyS #1320
    '71 T/RS LWT 3.2L

My place is for rent too, but a little more affordable
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Alan Domme
    Austin, TX
    '68 912 coupe
    '16 VW Golf R
    Early 911S Registry #1361
    912 Registry

Worth noting, been reading the dates may move around. May want to ensure your reservations can be moved if needed.