Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 73S seat clarification

73S seat clarification

I wanted to clarify a detail on a 73S Targa. The CoA denotes interior material ‘Black leatherette, corduroy 12’ with optional equipment ‘Leather sport seats’.

Would the optional leather sport seats be ‘FULL’ leather including seat centers? Or would it still have corduroy?

Name:  034F7935-18D3-4D63-B5F9-B503D08D4758.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  76.8 KB

Would the optional leather sport seats be ‘FULL’ leather including seat centers? Or would it still have corduroy?
    The standard '73 option would be full leather or full leatherette with smooth bolsters and perforated inserts (seat and back)...

However, you could order a great number of insert options for both base materials..

The docs I've seen usually list the color of the seat, it's material (leather or leatherette) and then it's combined inserts... (corduroy/pepita/etc.)

cm
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Thanks Chuck. So given the CoA. My car should have the sport seats with corduroy inserts?

Car currently has full leather but considering reupholstering to corduroy if it came from the factory that way.

Whoa … To me that COA is confusing (often the case COA to be treated with suspicion if not derision! ). Corduroy leatherette and leather sports seat both mentioned? If I were you I’d double check what that really was — try to get to the bottom of the original front seat type and material spec before removing the extant leather seat covers and reupholstering with cheaper spec corduroy. Maybe I’m being thick misunderstanding what’s written but to me having both lines on one COA is confusing. The lower section could be read as the car had “genuine leather seats” on its “Recaro sports seats left and right” at new? If it did those would have been a reasonably pricy in 73 quite a few hundred $ option if ticked by original buyer — some today regard leather sports as a more desirable front seat combo than the corduroy also mentioned on that same COA.

Steve

Ps there was an all leather interior option but don’t think COA is referring to that
    Last edited by 911MRP; 12-13-2022 at 12:47 PM.

member #1515
    FYI: This is my original window sticker showing option prices and standard equipment for a 73S. Quite a bit of inflation since then, $110 for left and right sports seats.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

member #1515
    PS, I wouldn't tear out good leather seats even if the car came with corduroy. The car Smiles is buying has been kitted out quite well, some of it not originally on the car, but all improvements that have made the car more useable in the real world. A/C a good cooler,2.7 RS engine. etc.
    Of course I am biased because these are almost exactly the adds I have made to my car, sans my ducktail and RS flares. (I took the theme a bit further)
    David

Quote Originally Posted by RSTarga View Post
    FYI: This is my original window sticker showing option prices and standard equipment for a 73S. Quite a bit of inflation since then, $110 for left and right sports seats.
    Each item with price on your window sticker tallies with the list I have — probably not a big surprise as that P+A General Manager’s full list of suggested retail prices would've been the source data for producing each individual car’s sticker.

Perhaps the named person with the machine generated signature on your screen sticker was the very person who had at that time had what is now my old ring binder with the price list and the other period info? Doubt there were too many binders in circulation with that particular embossed cover especially if its price lists contained what might be regarded as commercially sensitive price information in the other columns. I assume that at the time this more internal information might have been a more controlled than the “retail $” which was clearly in the public domain by appearing in new Porsche windshields all across the US.

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 12-13-2022 at 02:17 PM.

member #1515
    As noted on the sticker, the labels were prepared by Porsche Audi NA at the time, not the dealer. I think that has changed over the years although I may be mistaken.
    Interesting factoid is that before Porsche Audi was established in the US. VW, Porsche, BMW imports were handled by Max Hoffmann east of the Mississippi river and the San Antonio based Urschel Slick family west of the river. What a deal! The family still holds the Porsche and BMW franchises for San Antonio.
    Tom Slick Sr. was an oil magnate, considered the richest man in the USA in the 30's. Tom Slick Jr. quite an adventurer, obsessed with finding the Yeti, and also inventor of the aluminum beer can, also founded Southwest Research Institute, and Southwest Research Foundation. Died in a Lockheed Elektra crash.
    Steve, you might recognize the Institute as who did the fuel analyses when Tyrell was disqualified for running with lead pellets in the fuel tank.
    David

David, It was before my time working in the F1 / motorsport. I didn’t know it was that lab involved with the lead water aromatics etc at heart of the matter but I certainly remember following the ins and outs of those events — those technical and political dynamics of motorsport create intrigue but also a large part of the challenge. Having later been an “expert advisor” to the senior leaders of the FiA ( their description of role not mine) and separately having worked for an F1 team tasked with leading a programme with an objective to improve F1 race performance I have seen different perspectives. Do let me know if you are coming to London I’d love to chat about motor-racing with you — we are digressing from the task at hand in the thread/s
    Last edited by 911MRP; 12-13-2022 at 05:11 PM.

When deciphering interiors I always follow the number if on the coa. Porsche for years numbered or lettered various combinations for quick referral. So the number 12 is black leatherette/blk cord. As far as what seats they applied it to who knows given the confusing coa.
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club