Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Reintroducing a storied car to the Early 911S Registry...

Reintroducing a storied car to the Early 911S Registry...

So how intense can the interest be in the early cars? Can it border on obsession? What would a car that was religiously and fanatically maintained over 42 years look like these days? Allow me to introduce my 1969 S, one owner (I am the second as of two days), numbers matching car that retains all of its original factory and dealer installed options, is documented in every aspect, and at one point in its life received an AACA Senior Grand National First, the first and only Porsche (at the time, not sure now) to receive this honor.

Is this early S community even aware of this car? Yes, if you were around in 2001 for Volume 11, Number 1 of Esses Magazine as it was the cover story. But what has happened to it since? Who owned this car and what made him so special? Who in the early 1980s would scan dealer inventories across the country (via phone folks, it was the early 80s) and locate the last remaining nine liters of original 68-802-G Polo Rot Glasurit enamel for its (still beautiful) respray? Who had a personal shop stocked with NOS (some NLA) parts that rivals many professional shops? How did I end up with this car?

As you will see, the story around this car is as much about the person who owned it as it is the car.

In the spirit of many introductory posts of late on this board, I plan on discussing these topics and more. As I enter the rabbit hole, I will share what I find.
    I have attached a few pictures to whet the appetite. I hope you enjoy this thread as much as I have enjoyed reading other folks' odysseys into longhood ownership.

Needless to say, maybe a new Esses article may be required to do this justice!

The story will continue...
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by beh911; 04-19-2011 at 06:57 PM. Reason: spelling

A few more pictures... rear decklid and original unused XWX spare on untouched Deep Six. and bedtime
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Wow !!

As the Kinks sang around this time, "You really got me!" Thanks.

-Allen-

PS VIN please?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr 911E View Post
    PS VIN please?
    VIN - 119300761
    Engine - 6391086
    Trans - 7194389

"Bloody" beautiful! Looking forward to the story to unravel.
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com

Yowza!, and congratulations on becoming the caretaker of such a beautiful car.
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '65 911 "The Ol' Gal" (long gone)
    '73 S Coupe #306

Great find-- are you going to drive it on the street or just the lawn? Chris
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue

Just pulled that issue and reread the story, verrrry good! That car and owner did quite a lot together!
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

I want to see the dashboard switch setup.... horn grill driving lights, below bumper fogs, and a rear wiper.... hmmm...

e

Quote Originally Posted by Soterik View Post
    I want to see the dashboard switch setup.... horn grill driving lights, below bumper fogs, and a rear wiper.... hmmm...

e
    My thoughts exactly.

Here's my theory: vertical push/pull under the speedo/clock for the rear wiper; one fog light switch in the stock spot with the rear defrost and cig lighter; plain black push/pull (or additional fog light knob) for the driving lights behind the wiper stalk next to the fresh air control
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687