Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What color should the PORSCHE script be for a 73S

Quote Originally Posted by Ted_S View Post
    I was just thinking about this very topic.

See the script for my 72S in the attached photo. I can't vouch for the originality of "Porsche" or "911S" script (or 2.4 for that matter) - clearly something looks incorrect, but I wasn't sure which. Also, if it matters, this was a euro-delivery originaly.

So it looks like the "911S" is at least the correct color, if not original, but the "Porsche" is not, and should be the same color as the "911S" - faded black anodyzed.

Am I intepreting the above thread correctly?

Ted
    Ted, you are correct.

Ed, your letters look great. I just picked up some used Black letters from a friend that will work for now. Thanks, Mark
    Mark Erbesfield
    2018 911 Carrera T 7spd manual 😊
    1973 911S #9113301282
    1957 356A #58648
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
    1982 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1977 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1972 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 FST (Factory Soft Top)
    1971 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 “Patina Queen”
    1979 MB 450SL "Dad's old car"
    2019 Cayenne "Wife's car"

Yes, '72-'73 all were black anodized as noted. Did faded quickly, is why Porsche changed to plastic. When the black letters first appeared, I turned them upside down and sanded the tops only to a 'brushed aluminum' finish. They looked great on my old silver car. Brian
    Brian
    S Reg #1032

"I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"

Auckland, New Zealand. And Los Angeles, USA.
    From all the literature I've read I concur with the others who have noted that 72 & 73 MY 911s left the factory with black emblems on the engine lid. Those on my 72S have faded to silver/grey also, which for me is OK as the 72 still retained the silver horn grilles and silver edging on the turn signal lens - so it matches. (The engine grille is however black) The 73 model changed to black horn grilles and black edging on the lens so for me the black lettering doesn't match so well. BUT in the end - it's personal preference. For concours, black or Ed's dark grey would be mandatory for authenticity. For a very nice driver - whatever makes you smile! Good luck with your decision.
    Kiwi
    1972 911S
    1967 912
    1959 356A Conv D
    Early S Registry # 306

Many thanks all for the clarification... does anyone by chance have the "Porsche" script in the correct black color they'd sell? I know this is probably best for the classifieds, but since you're reading this thread thought I might ask

please PM me or send email to tedstinson [at] hotmail if so...

Best,
    Ted

It's one of those difficult to match patina things... The original black dye faded quickly; we even repalced some under warranty. I have tried over the years to match the color. The problem is the dye we use turns brown when it fades and not to the purple/titanium color. I even went to the difficulty of importing Euro dye and it still didn't work. Ed has a great idea and is probably as close as you can get. The only other is to find a set of evenly faded originals; they are worth their weight in Gold..or Silver.. pun inteded.
    H

Digging up old thread, but has anyone tried to re-anodized there letters black?
    Mark Erbesfield
    2018 911 Carrera T 7spd manual 😊
    1973 911S #9113301282
    1957 356A #58648
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
    1982 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1977 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1972 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 FST (Factory Soft Top)
    1971 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 “Patina Queen”
    1979 MB 450SL "Dad's old car"
    2019 Cayenne "Wife's car"

I just bought the latest 911 letters from Porsche. They seem to be glossy painted black. Certainly more black and glossy than my grille.

But, my grille is still the same grille that was on my car when I bought it 35 years ago. So I have to assume my grille has faded. But I still suspect the new stuff is too shiny and black.

Here is a great thread with pictures and comments. I'm wondering if anyone else has thoughts on actually describing what the grille and letters looked like when new. Ed and Harvey use "titanium" in their posts. But they also seem to be saying that this "titanium" look is a slightly patina'd look. Off the assembly were they deep black with gloss? I don't recall these cars when new. But when the 911SC was new, my recollection is that it was deep black between satin and gloss. So I'm figuring that's what Porsche must have intended with the 72 and 73. Anyone else?

https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...odized+letters
    Last edited by Jay Laifman; 11-20-2022 at 12:54 PM.

I spent a lot of time on this for my 73. I had a set of badges reanodised but it was a tricky process and the end result was just ok, say 7/10. A bit too shiny and a bit blue black in colour. It is a tricky process so you need a anodiser who is skilful, experienced and there is still an element of luck needed.

I then bought a NOS black 911E badge which I would describe as black satin and I picked up a set of excellent used Porsche letters which were a good match with just a little fading. I’m happy with these and they look much better than the reanodised ones.

FWIW, I just looked at a bunch of 911SC brochures because the 911SC letters are bigger and wider - so easier to get a sense of the coloring. Obviously these brochures are not touched up earlier 911 stock pictures! The 911SC emblem is clearly black when looked at directly, kind of matching the grille. But also on the shots from an angle, it can look grayer - or as we know, anodized. And as I was thinking, not quite glossy, but not quite satin either. Closer to glossy than satin. That's how I'd sum it up.