Thread: Just got the COA for my 1968 911L SWT Sportomatic and have questions

Just got the COA for my 1968 911L SWT Sportomatic and have questions

Looking for a little help:
    I just got the COA for my 1968 911L SWT Sportomatic and I mistakenly thought it would serve to clarify the build information of my car. Most of the stuff is easy to understand but several items remain as mysteries. Your comments will surely be appreciated.
    1. The Interior Material Color/Type is listed as Red Leatherette/A. What does the 'A' stand for?
    2. ‘Suppression Material’ is listed under optional equipment. What is it?
    3. A ‘Spare Parts Kit’ is also listed under optional equipment. Is that the same as a ‘Travel Kit?
    4. An ‘Engine Compartment Light’ is also listed, but I just looked in the engine compartment and found that.
    5. Also, ‘USA Equipment’ is listed under optional equipment?
    6. An ‘Antenna’ and ‘Loudspeaker’ are both listed separately under the optional equipment, but a radio is not listed. I did get Becker Mexico Radio literature in a clear red plastic packet with the car. Can I assume that a Becker Mexico was installed at the factory – or possibly at the dealer?
    7. Also, the car has through the grille fog lights. Were they dealer installed? Same for the w/hearts Fuchs?

Any and all comments will be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Indiana,
    1965 911: 300594, 300839
    1965 912: 350407,
    1968 911L SWT Sportomatic,
    1970 911T Irish Green, Restored,
    1974 911 Carrera, 1975 911 Carrera,
    1970 914 1.7 Signal Orange, 1973 914 2.0 Zambezi Green, 1974 914 2.0 Ravena Green--this one is for sale
    Used to haul the kids to the pool in 356/1500RS Carrera Speedster 80820. Wife would leave it in the shopping center parking lot -- now in the Porsche Factory Museum.

Answers in red; to the best of my knowledge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Auto*Legends View Post
    Looking for a little help:
    I just got the COA for my 1968 911L SWT Sportomatic and I mistakenly thought it would serve to clarify the build information of my car. Most of the stuff is easy to understand but several items remain as mysteries. Your comments will surely be appreciated.
    1. The Interior Material Color/Type is listed as Red Leatherette/A. What does the 'A' stand for? A is for red
    2. ‘Suppression Material’ is listed under optional equipment. What is it? It may be the radio noise suppression for the engine.
    3. A ‘Spare Parts Kit’ is also listed under optional equipment. Is that the same as a ‘Travel Kit? I think they are separate.
    4. An ‘Engine Compartment Light’ is also listed, but I just looked in the engine compartment and found that.
    5. Also, ‘USA Equipment’ is listed under optional equipment? Yes, usually.
    6. An ‘Antenna’ and ‘Loudspeaker’ are both listed separately under the optional equipment, but a radio is not listed. I did get Becker Mexico Radio literature in a clear red plastic packet with the car. Can I assume that a Becker Mexico was installed at the factory – or possibly at the dealer? Probably dealer installed, but the car was prepped for a radio.
    7. Also, the car has through the grille fog lights. Were they dealer installed? Same for the w/hearts Fuchs? Quite likely dealer installed or owner installed. 1968 Fuchs were 5.5"

Any and all comments will be appreciated.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Would the headrests be original on a MY 68?

Quote Originally Posted by gsjohnson View Post
    Would the headrests be original on a MY 68?
    Yes, .... particularly for a US model car.

Spare parts kit, and travel kit are one and the same to me imho from what I'm aware.

The wheels from the factory for a US model 1968 911L would be 5.5 Fuchs and would have hearts.

Very nice, a slate gray, red SWT targa with sporto...

Must be the only one around, great car!!
    Slate Gray, Red Leather, 1968 912 HWT

Would'nt the "SPORTOMATIC" badge be in Gold like the rest of the script? Question for Eric-- My 1968 911L has elephent hide on the doors. Would the 911S silver trim under the door top trim piece be on a 911L or was it just the S? Mine does not have it That Slate Grey car is special. Does the sportomatic work? and if so are you going to keep the Sporto tranny? Chris
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue

Quote Originally Posted by Soterik View Post
    Yes, .... particularly for a US model car.

Spare parts kit, and travel kit are one and the same to me imho from what I'm aware.

The wheels from the factory for a US model 1968 911L would be 5.5 Fuchs and would have hearts.
    I have the original Red Leatherette seats and upolstery in my car and there are no headrests or provision for headrests.
    I have a MY 68 built in Oct. of 67 USA 911 normal. Your thoughts Eric?

Quote Originally Posted by gsjohnson View Post
    I have the original Red Leatherette seats and upolstery in my car and there are no headrests or provision for headrests.
    I have a MY 68 built in Oct. of 67 USA 911 normal. Your thoughts Eric?
    Oct 67 build will get you no headrests, even for a US spec car. That's based on cumulative info from the board, and multiple posts I've seen on this particular situation....

Chris, I think your car "should" have the aluminum trim on the doortops. But, is it a US, or Euro 911L.

Brent, that's quite a car! Leave it as a sporto....

Eric

Chris et al,
    I will scan the COA and post it here. It lists January 17, 1968 as the build date. It also shows two headrests in leatherette.
    The Sportomatic works and I am going to keep it that way. The Sportomatic script is indeed silver but it should be gold. I too noticed the aluminum trim and really like it. It looks to be original. The grandfather of the previous owner told me that they put spacers under the driver’s seat to raise it, but that caused an interference issue so they installed the smaller steering wheel. He gave me the original one and the Hockey Puck Horn Button. It didn't have the bow-tie. He also provided lots of receipts and through a little detective work, I have located a previous-previous-previous owner. We haven't talked ear-to-ear yet.
    Indiana,
    1965 911: 300594, 300839
    1965 912: 350407,
    1968 911L SWT Sportomatic,
    1970 911T Irish Green, Restored,
    1974 911 Carrera, 1975 911 Carrera,
    1970 914 1.7 Signal Orange, 1973 914 2.0 Zambezi Green, 1974 914 2.0 Ravena Green--this one is for sale
    Used to haul the kids to the pool in 356/1500RS Carrera Speedster 80820. Wife would leave it in the shopping center parking lot -- now in the Porsche Factory Museum.

Hi Brent-- I do not know if my 68 911L Sporto had the trim under the door top or not because it is Euro Spec and had less options as the 911L in Europe was known as the Mid-range 911. Eric--can you bring any light to this? I too will run the car as a Sporto but if I have major problems, I will switch the tranny to a 5 speed and keep the sporto for when I am 97 years old and cannot push in the clutch any more. Chris
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue