Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wow I guess the economy is getting better

Not sure I see the PO as expressing "Sour Grapes". It's a forum where we discuss early 911's, their historys and values, among other things...

Quote Originally Posted by gsjohnson View Post
    Not sure I see the PO as expressing "Sour Grapes". It's a forum where we discuss early 911's, their historys and values, among other things...
    May be this sentence "Best of luck to the flipper I mean seller." might give the impression of sour grapes?

Richard

A few years back, I bought a so so Abarth 750GT Zagato "Double Bouble" for I think $32k. It was not up to my standards and the engine was from a later 850 series Fiat that took forever to get right. I decided to sell a year later for $38k and was happy I did not loose any money. The owner claimed to buy the car for vintage ralleying.

2 weeks later, the car was offered for sale - at an asking price of $110k - after a detail, fixing of one bad electrolysis spot and adding blue racing stripes to the car. The car did not sell for a year or so. Then it was offered in Monterey at auction with a high bid for $80k (Before commission) but did not meet reserve and remained unsold. Half a year later, the car was then sold at auction in Scottsdale and the high bid of also $80k (Before commision) was accepted by the guy who bought it from me.

Lesson learned: I developed resentments for the seller, but mainly because I wanted that money and thought I was stupid (As my original idea was to bring the car to a Monterey auction but then went the private route). I also quickly realized, that the bad feelings are all on my side: My car, my decision, my anger at myself and my lesson learned. If the next guy flips it or not, and makes tons of money or not is not my issue and not worth the time ...

Mike
    Mike Baum #505

57 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint
    60 Citroën ID
    61 Lancia Appia Vignale Convertibile
    64 Alfa Romeo Giulia TI
    66 Lancia Flavia Sport Zagato
    69 911S Targa (Soft Window)
    72 Alfa Romeo Junior Zagato 1600

I think that it really stems from the fact that we are all caretakers of these cars and we think that each one is special. We hope that the next caretaker is as enthusiastic as we were about the car. But when someone kinda misrepresents their intentions to turn your special car into a piece of profitable meat, it sometimes offends the us.

If you remember, when I sold my Leaf Green 72 T, I had higher offers after my original acceptance of my first offer. I stayed the course with the first buyer for less money because I gave my word and he was a true enthusiast for the car.

Now that is a Gentleman! A Man of his word is worth an infinite number of bull artists. And I agree that we are only stewards of our cars.
    However, remember when Intel was $5.00/share? Coulda, shoulda, woulda is a one way ticket to an unhappy daily life. I say that if one sells their car at a price they feel is fair so be it, its sold, gone. If another buys it for more then so be it as well. There is always another one coming, just like the bus. Part of the joy for me is having owned many different cars. They all have their own personality and that is part of the journey that interests me.
    Steve ESR#1934

This guy appears to be a dealer - why are you surprised it's for sale so soon?

Were the sport seats original per the COA, or later additions?

Looks like a really nice car by the way.

Steve

Where are all the driver's today? They are not that concerned about originality. they just want to DRIVE the beast and see what it can do. But now the cat is out of the bag and all the baby boomers including myself want their early 911 so the prices have doubled since a decade or so ago. I thought the bad economy would bring prices down to what they were in say 2001 but no 911T's are still $25,000 and deep six Fuchs are still $400+. Complete project cars are $ 15,000 ; they used to be $ 6,000 to $8,000 back 12 years ago. I guess we can't look back but I do wonder if these high prices keeps more people from joining our hobby for the fun of it instead of flipping for a profit. You can not drive your money. Chris
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue

Quote Originally Posted by raspy2point2 View Post
    You can not drive your money. Chris
    So Chris - does this mean I'll be seeing you around in the hood in your gorgeous Tangerine dream...instead of your SUV???
    Bahia Red '72 911S
    Meerblau PTS 2019 Speedster
    GP Silver, 2018 GT2RS WP....the BEAST
    Daytona Gray 2021 RS6 Avant....BEAST #2...Best daily EVER

ES #333

GONE...MANY, many great ones....

Hi Stacy-- Yes it will be racing around more this summer as I get ready for rennsport. The really big show in October. Are you going? And are you going to Treffin in a week? I will be there. Chris
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue

Quote Originally Posted by raspy2point2 View Post
    Hi Stacy-- Yes it will be racing around more this summer as I get ready for rennsport. The really big show in October. Are you going? And are you going to Treffin in a week? I will be there. Chris
    Chris, YES I am going to both. Will be at Treffen Thursday thru Saturday, and at Rennsport too. See you soon!
    Bahia Red '72 911S
    Meerblau PTS 2019 Speedster
    GP Silver, 2018 GT2RS WP....the BEAST
    Daytona Gray 2021 RS6 Avant....BEAST #2...Best daily EVER

ES #333

GONE...MANY, many great ones....