Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1969 Factory Installed Accessories brochure

1969 Factory Installed Accessories brochure

Referencing my thread here:
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...n-late-1968...
    and this thread on 69 Kardexes:
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ed+accessories

Would someone be able to describe this brochure and perhaps scan it into this thread?

I am willing to purchase a copy as well if someone is willing to part with one.

This brochure may prove crucial in my research on the back and forth between the factory, VWoA, and the original owner of my car.

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by beh911; 05-07-2011 at 09:02 AM.
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

I have the brochure. This is exactly what is written in the brochure for each of the option codes on your Kardex. I hope it helps:

9242: Headrest in Genuine Leather (for USA Headrests in Leatherette Standard) (Color matching interior trim)
    9350: Tinted Rear Window for coupe (1 stage heated)
    9239: Standard seats in Genuine Leather
    9362: Porsche Side Lettering and Striping, black
    9142: Air Pressure Gauge (no longer included in Standard Tool Kit
    9341: Long Range Quartz-iodine driving lights, white, on front Bumper
    9431: Antenna, retractable, left
    9213: Lock for Front Luggage Compartment
    9347: Tinted Side Windows for Coupe
    9452: Blaupunkt Frankfurt USA
    9222: Steering wheel lock
    9348: Tinted Windshield

Milou / Registry #884
    www.ecurielyford.com

Big help. Thanks for taking the time!

Out of curiosity, how many pages are in the brochure?

One last follow up question: Are there descriptions for the following options anywhere in the brochure?

These options are called out in some correspondence between the original owner, VWoA, and the factory.

For example: According to the correspondence, 9146 is limited slip differential which was not available at the time of manufacture of the car, even though he ordered the car with this option and factory confirmed LSD would be put it on the car. The explanation from VWoA was that due to changes in the 901 transmission housing, production of this option started later and was therefore unavailable at date of manufacture (Feb '69). Since this was the age of 'less' communication compared to the info overload of today, the news never got back to the distributor (VW in North America) and hence the original owner.

9240 and 9241 were Recaro Sport Seats, also ordered, confirmed by factory, then not put on car. Similar explanation...

I know the other codes map to options that didn't make it onto the car for various reasons.

So, again, reason for research is to understand how the previous (original) owner got his hands on these options even being available... Were they shown to him in this brochure, then snatched away at production time? Or did he have another source of options and was working with a small VW dealership placing his order who perhaps was out of their depth giving him the proper info?

All interesting stuff (to me at least).
    Last edited by beh911; 05-08-2011 at 03:38 PM. Reason: clarification
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

The brochure is 13 pages. It's a pretty simple brochure on cheap paper. It seems more destined for internal use than for customers.

9146 Limited Slip Differential
    9240 Recaro Sportseat, left, Genuine Leather
    9241 Recaro Sportseat, right, in Genuine Leather
    9252 Seatbelts (lap and shoulder type) with automatic reel, left Coupe
    9253 Seatbelts (lap and shoulder type) with automatic reel, right Coupe
    9337 Quartz-iodine Fog lights, white, under front bumper
    9358 Not in Brochure

Milou / Registry #884
    www.ecurielyford.com

Milou,

Thank you thank you. The puzzle pieces are starting to fall into place in my detective work.

Is the print date on your brochure the same as in this image? The image reads 'Revision #1 1-1-69' over what appears to be a 10-1-68 original print date.
    Last edited by beh911; 05-10-2011 at 03:29 AM.
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

"For example: According to the correspondence, 9146 is limited slip differential which was not available at the time of manufacture of the car, even though he ordered the car with this option and factory confirmed LSD would be put it on the car. The explanation from VWoA was that due to changes in the 901 transmission housing, production of this option started later and was therefore unavailable at date of manufacture (Feb '69)."

Is this correct ... LSD not available in early 1969 Calender date ? I do not think racers would have accepted NO for this option order at this time. Was this related to switching from nadella axles & flanges to CV type ?

End of November 1968 time frame was when the transmission housing transitioned from aluminum to magnesium casting. I believe the aluminum housing accepted the 904 limited slip. The magnesium housing took a different LSD AFAIK, one that did not use the Nadella axles.
    It is difficult to believe that some options suddenly were not available when they were already confirmed.
    Last edited by davep; 05-09-2011 at 09:27 AM.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

My copy also says revision #1 1-1-69

Milou / Registry #884
    www.ecurielyford.com

"For example: According to the correspondence, 9146 is limited slip differential which was not available at the time of manufacture of the car, even though he ordered the car with this option and factory confirmed LSD would be put it on the car. The explanation from VWoA was that due to changes in the 901 transmission housing, production of this option started later and was therefore unavailable at date of manufacture (Feb '69)."

Is this correct ... LSD not available in early 1969 Calender date ? I do not think racers would have accepted NO for this option order at this time. Was this related to the differant type of LSD unit required in switching from nadella axles & flanges to CV type ?

I also have a hard time fathoming why any sport seats would not be available to purchase at that particular time in 1969 ?

Missing Options...

Quote Originally Posted by peekaboo View Post

Is this correct ... LSD not available in early 1969 Calender date ? I do not think racers would have accepted NO for this option order at this time. Was this related to the differant type of LSD unit required in switching from nadella axles & flanges to CV type ?

I also have a hard time fathoming why any sport seats would not be available to purchase at that particular time in 1969 ?
    Agreed on the sports seats, or 'Recoils' as VWoA called them below

If there is an earlier 69 car than my #761 coupe with factory installed LSD and sport seats FOR THE U.S market that would be interesting.

FYI, the bonded warehouse reference is to the fact that the owner was at sea for six months at a time and stored the car accordingly.
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624