Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: 72...it's time to start a thread

Time for an update.

luggage compartment switch - it didn't have one before. Now it does...let there be light I just used a bolt on the hood hinge to ground it and made sure it worked. I put in a new bulb and seal while I was at it.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  34.4 KB

Odyssey battery PC925 - The former one, a previous owner put in there, was on its side. It fit pretty well in the stock battery box too. I got a new one for it...and I love Odyssey batteries! I see a battery hold down in its very near future. I don't drive it much, and no Dukes of Hazard (um...things) when it is driven.

Lift ramps - I stained them black because the wood was looking a little shabby. I put on a couple of pull straps I had. It helps a gimp like me to move them around too. My buddy Kenny made me up some aluminum entry ramps. I like 'em!
Views: 479
Size:  50.3 KB

2 of the 3 plastic plugs by the smuggler box were replaced - the old ones were less than pretty. I had to sand a little surface rust off of the two larger holes with a Dremel.

Brake lines - The rear hard brakes lines were not great (pinched a bit), so I got some new ones from PMB for the rears. Now was the time to get it all done, so I did the front lines as well. Going to SC calipers up front required the later hard lines from the hose to the caliper itself. I used some 74 lines up front. A 14mm wrench was just a hair too small for the hose fitting, so I ended up using a 9/16.
Views: 469
Size:  62.6 KB

Calipers - PMB did these too...and the rotors as well. I got the front ones all set to go now. All of the caliper bolts were replaced with plated ones.
Views: 474
Size:  88.0 KB
    Last edited by gregbus; 08-06-2015 at 06:52 AM.
    Greg

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't...you're right.” - Henry Ford

Engine sound pad - I went with an Ultimate sound pad from AppBiz. I've seen many good things said about it. I really like that it is black on this side. Much less blingy than the previous one in the background.Name:  image.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  77.9 KB

Flywheel - The old one was needing to be replaced. It had lived it's life. I went with some new 12 point bolts as well. The clutch disc was almost new, so it was left alone and reinstalled.
Views: 497
Size:  73.1 KB

Transmission rebuilt and reinstalled - the 3rd gear syncro was going bad so it was time. Bernie Buschen rebuilt it. I went with the Swepco 201 (80W90) gear oil. I also went with some brass bell crank bushings and another bell crank itself from Aase. The old one was kinda ratty looking, but still fine. I replaced some plate hardware while I had the opportunity. Name:  image.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  85.6 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  103.8 KB
    Last edited by gregbus; 05-05-2015 at 11:15 AM. Reason: updated photos
    Greg

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't...you're right.” - Henry Ford

Wheel bearings - new ones in the front. I got some new grease from PMB and Chris blasted the front hubs to clean em' up while they were off. I used some brake cleaner to do the little leftovers and the inside of the hubs. I then used some Gibbs on the outside to help protect the hubs themselves a bit.
Views: 406
Size:  78.0 KB

Fuel tank skid plate - I like it! John Gausden (advtracing) made it and I really like the extra protection it provides underneath to the tank. Money well spent with having so many places to drag...and 911s don't exactly have a high stance to begin with (thankfully). He provided some M6 allen bolts with Nylock nuts.

tie/tow hooks - They're of the Tarett variety. I like the looks and functionality of these. I have some for the front and rear as well. Not meant to be in lieu of the other tow hooks for me, I just wanted something for hooks to go in to.
Views: 380
Size:  74.1 KB

Rear shocks - Bilstien HDs. They match the HD strut inserts up front. Now I have new shocks all the way around. A left side HE is next up and I already have one coated and waiting...thanks to Chris.
Views: 409
Size:  77.5 KB
    Last edited by gregbus; 05-04-2017 at 05:30 AM.
    Greg

Elephant Racing hardware - I just went with a kit that ER offered that had it all already. I'm kinda impatient/smart (really depends on who you ask) that way, so it worked out pretty well. I'm a big believer in the philosophy of work smart and not hard. Although, sometimes working hard is working smart
Views: 393
Size:  63.4 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  84.4 KB

horn - painted it (rattle can Rustoleum). It looks a little better than it did before...really.
Views: 395
Size:  108.2 KB
    Last edited by gregbus; 09-17-2015 at 03:17 PM.
    Greg

Rear reflectors - Originally, I thought that I may have to use some deco trim to make these look right. Turned out not to be the case. They work fine with some bumper stripes. I'll feel better having back there too. The license plate panel is on the list. I already have another one.
Views: 350
Size:  63.1 KB

The left side heat exchanger is on with new exhaust gaskets now. New gaskets on the right still needs to be installed.

I polished up the aluminum trim using some Mothers and a powerball. Worked out pretty good.
Views: 327
Size:  72.0 KB
    Greg

polish Fuchs - I just used the same as the trim. While not perfect or anything, they look better than they did. Only two lugs are on there now....lift and brakes/shocks
Views: 334
Size:  60.8 KB

Door straps to replace a noisy drivers door stay mount. With these on there now, I'll never hear that noise again. Others may not notice it initially, but I'd surely have heard it every time. I got them from John Gausden (Advtracing) so it's the same leather/make as the 100 liter spare strap. 5mm Rivnuts (love them things) in the door were used.
Views: 335
Size:  60.8 KB

Inertia reels - I had to have these for the seat belts (and receivers) until I go the harness route. I'm kinda anal and I didn't want to see the bare metal for the time being. I used the Appbiz RS pieces for the rear 1/4 panels. I just used a heated pencil end (minus the eraser) to assist with the bolt holes in the carpeting. While it's certainly not done or anything, progress is good thing.
Views: 335
Size:  79.1 KB
    Last edited by gregbus; 02-22-2016 at 06:10 AM.
    Greg

1/4 tops - Jamie McFarland did these as well. Same as the garnish rails, so they turned out great.

Coupler cover - Powder coated the cover itself. I used the Appbiz carpet piece here also (without any glue) to accommodate the seatbelt receivers. I won't need them when I go the harness route, but for the time being...
Views: 331
Size:  129.4 KB
    Last edited by gregbus; 02-24-2016 at 08:18 AM.
    Greg

You've been busy Greg, looking good!

Which ER suspension kit did you go for? I'd be interested in your feedback re stock.

Cheers,

Harry.

Hi there Harry,

It's a QuickChange spring Plate setup. I was just referring to the plated nuts and bolts. It had the stock ones before. I can't provide you with any diffs between that and the stock setup. I've really only driven it for a couple of hundred miles since I've had it. It's taken a while to get to this point. I'm just keeping myself amused/occupied/challenged for the time being. Brain injuries will do that to you
    Last edited by gregbus; 05-04-2017 at 05:34 AM.
    Greg

Had to start on page one. Very nice. Also learned me some stuff. And harvested some links!

Mine is suppose to be silver like that. The more I see it, the more I like it.
    72 911S Targa #0807 95+% German.

Paul Harrop 12.5% German.

Early S #2059