Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: 72...it's time to start a thread

I wish you were around too Tom...thanks for that! It's pretty amazing what you can do when you have to. However, it sure never hurts to have a someone do a few things too though
    Greg

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't...you're right.” - Henry Ford

Thank you!!!

Vic

Some proName:  photo (4).jpg
Views: 578
Size:  84.9 KBName:  photo (2).jpg
Views: 582
Size:  121.3 KBgress on our '72 (rally). Its just off for a touch-up on the paint and fitment of door panels then back to do some finish detailing.Name:  photo (6).jpg
Views: 576
Size:  114.1 KB Will send some pictures later of specific detailing features.
    1972 911 Narrow-Body Group 4 Project - On The Road.

Darn it! I see a speck of dirt on the distributor cap.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

72Group4, that car looks super nice! Love the twin plug setup as well. We're living parallel lives with a silver/black 72 coupe. I almost went with an Amber shroud, but I ended up going with a red Series 900 shroud made for carbs (plugged MFI holes). I went with a long grey oil cooler duct from Damon too. Pics to come. Tom is right though...there is a speck of dirt on the cap Send more pics and details. My email address is gregbus911 AT gmail DOT com.
    Greg

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't...you're right.” - Henry Ford

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  105.3 KB Its going to get very dirty in its first rally....but its clean right now.

At least you remembered to take some before pics. That car is so nice, it needs its own thread. I would certainly be following along! You'll have to post some post-rally pics as well. Did I mention that was a really nice car?
    Greg

gregbus. thanks. once its near completion I'll post a set of pics including (importantly) pictures of the guys that worked on it....which is where most of the credit is due. I did the research and the scut work...the cleaning, stripping, degreasing and restoring of parts on the car, typically once a week, for over two years. They did the skilled work, in particular the fabrication work which is necessary if you want to use the car as it was intended.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

It's been quite a bit since I've updated this post, but I've been doing things to the car. What I'm unable to do now, I've been stockpiling. Patience isn't exactly my strong point, so I had someone else do it. Bernie Buschen is the wrench for this one (and MANY others). I may as well have this stuff done right...the first time. He's got a lift...ability...the Porsche tribal knowledge...easy decision. In looking at what I've done to it, you might get the wrong impression. The car will be more capable than the driver at this point. I'm sure I'll still enjoy the heck out of it! While I'm not able to take full advantage of the capabilities today, my goal is to be able to tomorrow. Baby steps

TTG light grills - These are from Eric Linden (soterik). His outstanding work speaks for itself!
    Name:  photo 2 (1).jpg
Views: 381
Size:  79.2 KB

zinc coatings on front blower motor heater hose clamps
    Name:  zinc clamp 1.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  60.9 KB

zinc coated hood and decklid latches - top and bottom. They even work...thanks to Chris and Bernie The front top plunger was off on the alignment so the trunk wouldn't open with the hood release. It closed no prob, but wouldn't open by pulling the release cable. D'oh! The plunger was off center and it took a little aligning to get it set. Manually pulling up on the hood, while releasing the cable, was what was needed. Works like a champ now. The rear tube for the cable fell down as well. The pull handle needed some mounting nuts to hold it in there too. All good now.
    Name:  photo (9).jpg
Views: 381
Size:  59.6 KB

new door strikers - the little plastic piece I had in the original one disintegrated! Tough the doors still closed, it was certainly time for an update. The 12 point bolts on the passenger side was already stripped out, so a change was need there as well. Once they were aligned properly, all was good.
    Name:  photo (10).jpg
Views: 384
Size:  59.1 KB

Elephant rubber bushings - Most replaced, but more to come later on.

plastic plugs for rear bumperettes - these go in the holes at the top to cover the Allen bolts.
    Last edited by gregbus; 11-06-2013 at 02:04 PM.
    Greg

Tarett monoballs - I decided to go with these rather than the stock camber plates. Time will tell, but I'm fairly optimistic that I'll still have some fillings.
    Name:  tarett monoballs.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  91.7 KB

Tarett hollow t-bars- 21 and 27 - These came from Elephant as well. 21s and 26s were a popular consensus. I ended up going with the 27s because it was what they had available and it was a little heavier with the additional displacement.

QuickChange spring Plates - QuickChange spring plates make fast-work of torsion bar re-indexing and replacement. Screw-type adjuster makes corner balancing and ride height adjustment easier.

Tarett front and rear swaybars - Fortunately for me, the car came with stock sways, so everything was already there and the bushings were still good. Just had to replace the existing bars with new bars and the adjustable drop links. With 40+ years of technology since then, they're a little lighter and stronger than the stock ones. For 40+ years to pass, there's really not that much difference. Those guys were way ahead of the curve back in the day! I like the fact that they are adjustable drop links now. At some point, the stock front sway was welded (rather poorly I might add) for a repair. Glad that's gonzo!
    Name:  tarrett sway.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  100.2 KB
    Last edited by gregbus; 04-29-2014 at 06:04 AM.
    Greg