Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: 72...it's time to start a thread

I replaced the washer bottle and pump. With it being a factory AC car, it sticks out a sore thumb. The newer bottle is much better than the old one. Whiter anyways Pumps don't last forever, so bye bye to the old one.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  55.5 KB

Clamshell - I replaced the clamshell. I lost my balance and cracked the bottom piece on mine when I had it out. I ended up getting one from Aase. I also had to go with some new turn signal decals (it feels funny just to say that).
Views: 444
Size:  84.2 KB

I went with some leather boots. While they're not for everyone, I'm kinda fond of 'em...mostly. Not quite sure about the whole e-brake cover yet. We'll see.
Views: 457
Size:  28.8 KB
    Greg

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't...you're right.” - Henry Ford

The car is looking really good Greg!!!
    '67 911S
    '69 911S
    '70 911ST
    '73 911T Targa Signal Yellow
    '78 911SC backdate EFI 3.4 turbo
    '11 Spyder
    Early S#1097, R-gruppe #

Quote Originally Posted by endo911rs View Post
    The car is looking really good Greg!!!
    +1!!! Nice looking car

Thanks guys! Much like me though, this egg's still cookin' and I have a ways to go on it. I need to be more diligent about posting progress pics.

I also painted up the the fresh air intake. I just had to clean it up, so I left the frame as it was.Name:  image.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  53.7 KB
    Last edited by gregbus; 08-21-2014 at 05:43 AM.
    Greg

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't...you're right.” - Henry Ford

Time for an update...

Fuse shield - I put one in when I cleaned/lightly sanded the fuse contacts. The sanding ended up solving a turn signal prob that was a PITA to troubleshoot. None of the fuses were blown and I just replaced the ts switch on the column (again), but I got the same results. D'oh! It was merely an unclean fuse contact. Go figure. ps...I have the Norma clamps being plated for the charcoal filter.
Views: 291
Size:  56.6 KB

battery strap bolts removed - I didn't need (or want) the stock battery hold down strap on the drivers side in there any longer. The one on the pessenger side was already "removed". OK, it was simply jerked/pulled/ripped out. With the nut still on the other side mind you. I just used a step bit to drill the holes perfectly round and placed in some door plugs. May not be a permanent solution, but it worked for me
Views: 294
Size:  114.0 KB

blower motor cover (Appbiz) - the original one was petty tired. Having factory A/C didn't help with having the washer bottle strapped to it for all those years. A little bracket (thanks Richard) for the strap was also used for holding the bottle up top.
Views: 288
Size:  78.1 KB

interior lights (3) - The two interior lights, and the glove box light, were a little brittle. I was merely doing diligence and replacing the bulbs when the plastic on one gave way. The original interior lights had a chrome trim, so I just replaced those. The glove box is actually a targa interior light. Because it is out of sight, I went with a black trim and it worked fine.
Views: 291
Size:  70.5 KB

brakes - new rotors, restored SC caliper, pads...all ala PMB. I went with Zimmerman Sport rotors. I also used engine enamel and painted up the bolts that hold on the calipers. I used some zinc washers to go with the bolts. The pads are Porterfield RS4s. I've heard nothing but good things about these.

I upgraded to SC calipers in the front already, so it was an easy choice for me. I just had to upgrade the rears to SC. It still had the stock M calipers on the back...PMB was doing up calipers for me...hmmm. I don't have the cotter pins in the castle nuts yet. Chris had some plated (and washers) already, so I just had to put em' on. I found out the correct size needed by speaking with Eric at PMB and ordered a few from Belmetic.
Views: 286
Size:  54.4 KB
    Greg

Paint tag - I got a blank one from Stoddards for my 72 and had them send it to International Mercantile to get it stamped.
Views: 300
Size:  55.7 KB

VIN decal - I didn't have one. I knew the VIN #, but not the build date and you need one for this decal. Pulling the gauges to get the dates off the stamps will give you a pretty solid date. If you have nothing else to go on, this may shed a little light. Between that and others with a VIN by yours, you'll narrow it down.
Views: 294
Size:  57.4 KB

Trunk drains - I got these from IM also. Much better than the plain holes that were already there.
Views: 288
Size:  111.9 KB

brake reservoir bracket - redone because it needed it big time. I just installed a powder coated bracket with some zinc screws and cleaned the reservoir/cap itself. It sill has the Motive cap on there in this pic.
Views: 292
Size:  129.8 KB
    Greg

Looking good Greg!
    Rich
    1966 911 #303872
    ES#1197
    RG#478

Thanks Rich! Much like me though, it's a work in progress.
    Greg

The car is looking great Greg!
    '67 911S
    '69 911S
    '70 911ST
    '73 911T Targa Signal Yellow
    '78 911SC backdate EFI 3.4 turbo
    '11 Spyder
    Early S#1097, R-gruppe #

It helps a bunch to have folks like yourself that keep me from doing stupid things. It's nice to have my own Chris-ipedia to refer to when it comes to these cars. This website has been invaluable too...I learn new things every day.
    Greg