Thread: Photos I took at site of our Normandy Landings / June 6th, 1944!

Photos I took at site of our Normandy Landings / June 6th, 1944!

At the special request of Ray Crawford, I have attached a few photos I took in Normandy. Without a doubt, this was the emotional high point for me of our trip. The photos do not do justice to the incredible aura of this place. Steve Austin, the tour organizer, was wise in contracting a very good guide to show us around the historical sites. I have misplaced his card for the moment, but if anyone is interested I can get this fellow's contact information. This guide was the most knowledgeable individual on the subject I have ever met! It made all the difference as he was able to recount every aspect of the invasion and the exact locations of the various encounters that most of us barely remember from watching 'The Longest Day' or 'Saving Private Ryan'. I plan to go back with my wife in a few years time and will make sure this fellow leads us around next time too!

Our tour started in Ste Mere Eglise at the site of the 'incorrect' airborne drop over this small Norman town. We then proceeded to Utah Beach, which was the easiest objective to achieve by the Allies (in this case US troops) on that day. After lunch, we went to Point du Hoc. It is the site of mostly empty gun emplacements (it turned out not to be yet ready on D-Day) that the US Rangers had to climb up the rocky cliffs to over-run. Finally, we went further north on Omaha Beach to the American cemetery and memorial. This spot is the most spiritual place I have ever set foot on...period! The moment I approached the monument (the Spirit of Youth) and had my first glimpse at the 9000+ marked gravesites, I started to cry! I had that power over me...it was emotionally overwhelming!

My inadequate words & photos can't do justice to the sheer magnificence of this place and the meaning of the ultimate sacrifice these brave souls made for our cause! It is the most hallowed of grounds...and it is officially US territory. France ceded the grounds of the cemetery to the US in recognition of the sacrifice made to liberate their country. All of you must come to the Normandy Landing Beaches at one time in your life to simply experience it...and to pay the proper respects! Eduardo (z356) Carmel
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Eduardo, thank you for this wonderful post.
    Andrew Chisholm
    Early 911S Member #1994
    1973 911E 2.4L Coupe
    1969 912 Coupe, original owner

Great post, I would love to visit Normandy someday.

Defender of the Normal John Fusco's Avatar
    Cool site...

http://acidcow.com/pics/3772-normandy_1944_then_and_now_204_pics.html

Du must schwein haben

901/05 #305701

Bultaco Metralla 62 M8
    1968 BMW R69S

Early911SReg #606

By the way, the American flag in the first photo posted by Fusco at Pointe du Hoc was there for the sole purpose of identifying to American pilots overhead that their position was 'taken'...and thus avoid friendly fire! We stood with our guide at that same spot and he showed us that same photo (with flag), which was taken just as the position was finally 'secured' by the Rangers.

PS Photo looking down the cliff and down towards the blue Atlantic near that spot! Pointe du Hoc cliffs have been naturally eroding over the years since 1944. The US Government, who is now the official 'owner' of the Pointe, just spend millions reinforcing the 'foundations' so that these historic parts of Hitler's Atlantic Wall at the edge of the cliffs could be preserved, and not simply crumble back into the sea! z356
    Last edited by Z356; 06-23-2011 at 07:50 AM. Reason: adding photo

Wow! such a nice place. Its really surprising to see. I would love to visit Normandy on one day. Thanks for sharing with us.

Thanks for thing done, many years ago, so many American young people for us European
    Maurizio G.

Early S Registry member #1253

1968 MY 1969 Light Ivory 911E

Thanks for sharing the photos.
    Spencer
    Early911s #1912
    '60 356B Roadster
    '69 911T 2.8 MFI
    '69 911S
    '77 3.0 Turbo
    '10 GT3
    '88 M5
    '90 M3 sterling silver
    '90 M3 alpine white (sold)
    '04 M3 blk/blk (sold)

Wow! excellent. The place really amazing. I would love to see that place. Thanks for sharing the beautiful images.

Thanks Eduardo,Here is a citation for the MOH shown on the cross of Jimmie Monteith,lest his valor be forgotten.First Lieutenant,JIMMIE W. MONTEITH, JR U.S. Army, 16th Infantry, 1st Infantry Division.
    Place and date: Near Colleville-sur-Mer, France, 6 June 1944.
    Born: 1 July 1917, Low Moor, Va.
    General Orders, No. 20, 29 March 1945.

Citation: For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity above and beyond the call of duty on 6 June 1944, near Colleville-sur-Mer, France. 1st Lt.
    Monteith landed with the initial assault waves on the coast of France under heavy enemy fire. Without regard to his own personal safety he
    continually moved up and down the beach reorganizing men for further assault. He then led the assault over a narrow protective ledge and
    across the flat, exposed terrain to the comparative safety of a cliff. Retracing his steps across the field to the beach, he moved over to where 2
    tanks were buttoned up and blind under violent enemy artillery and machinegun fire. Completely exposed to the intense fire, 1st. Lt. Monteith
    led the tanks on foot through a minefield and into firing positions. Under his direction several enemy positions were destroyed. He then
    rejoined his company and under his leadership his men captured an advantageous position on the hill. Supervising the defense of his newly
    won position against repeated vicious counterattacks, he continued to ignore his own personal safety, repeatedly crossing the 200 or 300
    yards of open terrain under heavy fire to strengthen links in his defensive chain. When the enemy succeeded in completely surrounding 1st Lt.
    Monteith and his unit and while leading the fight out of the situation, 1st Lt. Monteith was killed by enemy fire. The courage, gallantry, and
    intrepid leadership displayed by 1st Lt. Monteith are worthy of emulation
    K.I.A.
    Member:S Registry #864