Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TV Broadcast 1971 CanAm Watkins Glen

TV Broadcast 1971 CanAm Watkins Glen

Even the commercials are awesome ....

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Yo0Ur0rgn4E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-vH4AVAvROM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lZAPC4MWPBY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4jycX5n8Qtg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VqMfybxCnGA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MRBg_zyenVk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VGUgewRrC-c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Wow, I am going to need some popcorn for all of these. They look pretty good, though. Thanks for posting them Curt.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

Oh my goodness, Curt. Thank you so much for posting this. Back in 1971 I was a 14 year-old teetering on the edge of coming off the rails. My pop took me to see Steve McQueen's Le Mans film when it premiered in our local theater that June and I was mesmerized, going back to see it three times that week. Then in July, this race from Watkins Glen was broadcast. My pop noticed the same reaction and sent away (he had to use the mail in those days) for two three-day super-tickets to the Laguna Seca Can-Am in October. One day he pulled out the envelope and told me that I wouldn't be going to school on Friday -- we were going down to Monterey to see Jo Siffert and Jackie Stewart.

Today is Father's Day. My pop changed my life with that trip and gave me something to be interested in other than all the negative stuff going down at the time. He's 88 now, and I'm grilling him a big, fat ribeye tonight. He doesn't remember these sort of details any more but I'll be thanking him for being a great dad back in '71. This broadcast was part of why.

-- David

WOW.....

I'm going to need some time for this................... Thanks Curt

This race was 4 weeks before the CanAm I saw at Road America at age 22
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

David - is this one of the 2 CanAm races broadcast on NBC then? I think the other was from Mid-Ohio. I was also 14 and had all the HO slot cars of the CanAm cars ordered from Oscar Koveleski's AutoWorld catalog, of course I happened to be 'up north' at my Uncle's cabin for both races and watched them live and remember thinking it was just the coolest thing ever to actually see these cars on TV (motorsports coverage back then was limited to Wide World of Sports highlights broadcast months after the event!).

I would advise copying these YouTube vids before they get taken down. There was some sort of licensing problem with NBC years ago when somebody was trying to release VHS tapes of the 2 broadcasts.

Quote Originally Posted by Nine17 View Post
    Oh my goodness, Curt. Thank you so much for posting this. Back in 1971 I was a 14 year-old teetering on the edge of coming off the rails. My pop took me to see Steve McQueen's Le Mans film when it premiered in our local theater that June and I was mesmerized, going back to see it three times that week. Then in July, this race from Watkins Glen was broadcast. My pop noticed the same reaction and sent away (he had to use the mail in those days) for two three-day super-tickets to the Laguna Seca Can-Am in October. One day he pulled out the envelope and told me that I wouldn't be going to school on Friday -- we were going down to Monterey to see Jo Siffert and Jackie Stewart.

Today is Father's Day. My pop changed my life with that trip and gave me something to be interested in other than all the negative stuff going down at the time. He's 88 now, and I'm grilling him a big, fat ribeye tonight. He doesn't remember these sort of details any more but I'll be thanking him for being a great dad back in '71. This broadcast was part of why.

-- David
    Great story David! Sounds like '71 was a great year for you
    Carl Bauer - OBP
    1979 RoW 911SC
    1969 Subaru 360 - 1969 Winkelmann WDF1 - 2016 KTM RC390

Defender of the Normal John Fusco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nine17 View Post

-- David
    Thanks so much for posting those Curt - brings me right back to those days ...

And thanks David for that wonderfully told, very concentrated and powerful reminder of the tensions of growing up in that era and how critical it was to have good parents and role models.
    A most poetic tribute.

Du must schwein haben

901/05 #305701

Bultaco Metralla 62 M8
    1968 BMW R69S

Early911SReg #606

Fantastic Curt. Can you educate the unwashed masses on how to copy the vids to your hard drive? I am sure it is simple, no?
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

Quote Originally Posted by CurtEgerer View Post
    David - is this one of the 2 CanAm races broadcast on NBC then? I think the other was from Mid-Ohio.
    For sure -- it's funny how the memory works, but I still can remember the broadcast of the Watkins Glen race. I'm pretty sure that the other one was Mid-Ohio, but that one didn't make the same impression. I was pretty obsessed with the Gulf-Porsches and Siffert at the time; I'm glad that I got to see him up close in the paddock and racing at Laguna, because his horrible accident at Brands Hatch in the B.R.M. was the very next weekend.

Yes, '71 was a good year, but only in retrospect. Siffert and Rodriguez were killed. Vietnam was escalating, the Pentagon Papers were released, the Weather Underground bombed the capitol. Jim Morrison drowned in his bathtub in Paris. There also was a lot of other negative stuff to get involved in, especially in the S.F. Bay Area, at that time and we teenagers flirted with most of it. Fortunately my pop had the sense to show me that there was more to life, and for that I'm eternally grateful.

-- David

Oh my my.......
    Stefan Josef Koch
    RGruppe #194/SRegistry #1063
    1969 Porsche 911E, Light Ivory (38 years and counting)
    2015 Porsche Cayman S
    2012 BMW R1200GS, 1973 BMW R75/5

"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools." -E. Hemingway