Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to me: slightly outlaw 912

New to me: slightly outlaw 912

I just got it delivered to me today, on father's day, you can't make this stuff up !

The car is a 1968 912 which was FS from a board member (who can say Hi if he wishes, I try to respect people's privacy ;-)

Pre-sale photos:

Arrival in Tampa, all the way from California..

First look !

Unfortunately, my garage is under construction - extension for 2 more cars. I can't believe the car arrived this early, but hey, it's protected by sheets of plywood, rubber mats and visquene. It'll probably stay cleaner than the rest of my house...

Quick impressions: The motor is nice and strong. The dogleg gearbox is gonna take some getting used to, not because it's bad, because I never had one and it's just weird to me ;-) The car's overall condition is superb, I'll do some minor underside cleanup when my garage is up and running.... I was hoping the black plates came with, but I guess they are more valuable in CA than in FL (as deco) - no harm done... I need to get it registered and get a spare key cut. The interior is a lesson in originality, whihc I cannot apply to my 69 912 since I think 68 is rather unique...

I'm pleased, really... On father's day. I'd jump for joy if not for the damn plantar fasciitis killing my feet ;-)

The only thing I'm gonna have to do is raise it an inch. Maybe I'm too heavy, maybe our roads are not as smooth as southern cal, but it rubs on bumps right now... Too bad as it was aligned well ;-) Can't wait for my plates and then go tear up the asphalt a little...
    Last edited by Greg D.; 06-19-2011 at 08:16 AM.
    Greg.
    ----------
    72 911T - 73 2002

Greg,
    Congrats. That 912 is beautiful and, to my eyes, done just right. More pix plz.

Regards,
    al
    Al Kosmal
    the X-faktory
    Current projects; 69-911.5
    76S rat bastard---off to Germany

1970 914-4...off to Wisconsin
    73 911X Cafe Racer...........(off to S.F.....now racing in Germany)
    66 912 ...off to France
    71E 9111200979 ( gone to Paris..then to Corsica)
    77S (off to NY)
    Early S #1240

RGruppe #669
    www.x-faktory.com

Greg, what a beauty! How about some interior pics?
    Rich
    1966 911 #303872
    ES#1197
    RG#478

Awesome way to own an early car. You must post interior and engine-bay shots, plus details of the motor and ratios!

As for the heel pain: http://www.medi-dyne.com/estore/inde...&product_id=66
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for that, I will try anything at that point ! As for shots, I will oblige soon. Right now the car is cocooned (re: the construction dusk and chips of rock flying around), I will take it out when I go register it in a couple of days and take pictures of every angle.
    Last edited by Greg D.; 06-19-2011 at 02:01 PM.
    Greg.
    ----------
    72 911T - 73 2002

Looking very good Greg !
    Early 911S member #166

I have no problem with the theory that all men are created equal.
    But after that moment you are on your own and nobody owes you a damn thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Lambert View Post
    Greg, what a beauty! How about some interior pics?
    Sure, and questions too..

The dash, I was not sure what to think about. It's covered in vinyl or leather, and the flat section over the speaker seems to be separate from the fascia of the dash. Apparently it's a 68 thing, not a "hair piece" ;-)

The thing drives very much like my 73T used to drive. Sounds different, but it's a very strong big bore 912 motor. I'm impressed by this little motor, so much so I've sent my other 912 to the shop because it can't be right ;-)

Still HATE the dogleg box. It goes against 24 years of muscle memory ;-) It shifts great though.
    Last edited by Greg D.; 06-21-2011 at 11:18 AM.
    Greg.
    ----------
    72 911T - 73 2002

Greg-
    Congrats on a beauty!
    Nice door panels uncut by the speaker demons....
    1969 912 tangerine coupe 82K original miles
    1974 911 red targa 71K original miles

Tom Michelsen
    Central Coast Heaven

Shell Beach, California

Looks like fun. I would ask the PO why the vacuum was disconected on the distributor. You can see where the vacuum hose connects to the diaphram and then the empty pipe at the base of the left carb, there should be one on the right carb as well. The 2 carbs get connected together with a T in the middle that goes to the distributor. I would cap those carb ports if not in use or reconnect and check your advance with a good timing light.

Quote Originally Posted by NTW View Post
    Looks like fun. I would ask the PO why the vacuum was disconected on the distributor. You can see where the vacuum hose connects to the diaphram and then the empty pipe at the base of the left carb, there should be one on the right carb as well. The 2 carbs get connected together with a T in the middle that goes to the distributor. I would cap those carb ports if not in use or reconnect and check your advance with a good timing light.
    I noticed that when taking the picture... It runs really good tough, so I wonder if the timing was set as is and the can is inactive... I'll check timing, valves, and do an oil change as soon as my garage is usable again !
    Too dusty now, until the addition is finished !

Last edited by Greg D.; 06-21-2011 at 10:43 AM.
    Greg.
    ----------
    72 911T - 73 2002