Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 9113600266 early RS sold at auction today

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NickP View Post
    The steel fuel tank is interesting. My French delivered 73S came equipped with an 85L plastic tank. I would have guessed an RS to also have the plastic 85L tank.
    It's my understanding that plastic tanks were not approved by French gov.
    Maybe I received bad info.

@Patrick78 Is the tank of your car steel or plastic?

Afiak French cars got plastic tanks and space savers. It was the C16/EG British market cars that got steel tanks as UK regulators wouldn't approve plastic tanks. My original Porsche Cars Great Britain price list states this clearly as a note. All 911 cars for UK not just RS had steel. Also UK got normal size front tyre on Fuchs 6 15

. For #266 beyond spacesaver the roadwheels would have certainly been CN 36 not later Pirellis nor later Dunlops UK .

Lights should be yellow for France spec iirc.

Correct they didn't get the RS bumper / spoiler in France as regulatiors there didn't permit but got front in bumper from series production S. While not the matched pair of spoilers and maybe small impact on aero balance that came from factory fine tuning package a French early car ought to have its S bumper if adherence to original spec is the goal. Doubt that is the original toolkit based on comparison to my similar 2** RS -- seems earlier type.

From quick glance hard to see if there is rippled shutz on rear chassis legs or not-- shouldn't be on early car. Likewise homologation cars didn't get that under hood lid/ interior.

Should from this date have a one of the very rare plastic horn push if not boken or lost. Likely metal but hard to be sure from photo.

No vin stamps or engine stamps shown? Vin should have the extra stamping on VIN that France required.

Agree seatbelt questionable there was lot of variation and evolution. That is the issue when interiors get renovated not always faithfully and stuff gets lost. Some early tourings got three point statics. I have heard it said that only M471 got static three point but this is actually incorrect. Some M472 got three point statics and had fixings in tunnel and door sill not to seat.

Probably other points. Most details can be fixed but could have been done with more care and knowledge to get it right first time.
    Last edited by 911MRP; 03-22-2019 at 06:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 911MRP View Post
    . . . .

. . . Lights should be yellow for France spec iirc . . .

. . . Doubt that is the original toolkit based on comparison to my similar 2** RS -- seems earlier type.

. . . From quick glance hard to see if there is rippled shutz on rear chassis legs or not-- shouldn't be on early car. Likewise homologation cars didn't get that under hood lid/ interior.

. . . Should from this date have a one of the very rare plastic horn push if not boken or lost. Likely metal but hard to be sure from photo.

. . . should have the extra stamping on VIN that France required.

. . . seatbelt questionable . . .

. . . Probably other points. Most details can be fixed but could have been done with more cars and knowledge to get it right first time
    . . .

Attached Images Attached Images  

We Can Be Heroes

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    It makes the mind swirl wondering what your true agenda is Rick. At least make an attempt to be objective.

The thread you referenced was started by a member who advertised the car here. Apples and oranges compared to an ad out in the wild that was linked here.

Another poor restoration by European Collectibles? They had two years to get it right according to their ad.
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club

I too am mystified by Rick's post which just rehashes old comments not addressing the confusion /questions raised on this particular car specification today....

The sales blurb says "Following a complete restoration to original specifications, this example surely will not disappoint"

I find there is often misunderstanding and missinformation on RS model so hard to do due diligence. The comments/questions i shared were from a quick run through of some small photos on a phone and revealed a number of things that appear fall short of that bold statement or are hard to tell. The previously commented spoiler bumper for example.

I'm happy to learn and be corrected if incorrect in my observations, if others know more. I'm a hobbyist on 911 and just spent a few mins (not two years as a professional restorers) on this but spotted a few things in photos that don't seem to support that claim.

As more and more are restored things get done that are not to original spec and that reference point which might be important to some gets muddied.

I'm not saying a poor restoration as haven't seen the workmanship in-person but am questioning if the "bar" in the sales blurb has been met based on my tacit knowledge and long term ownership of the RS model.

If claims of to original specification that may not be supported by the evidence on the car are not questioned here on ESR, then where are standards and real understanding maintained?

Steve

...oh wait a minute isn't it being reported that Porsche are training some folks up to do a paid authenticity check?
    Last edited by 911MRP; 03-22-2019 at 08:03 AM.

This car has factory-supplied AC. The housing for the front condenser blower interferes with both the standard washer bottle location and the plastic tank, so AC cars get a steel tank, full size spare, and the washer bottle is located up by the dash. The original opening for the washer bottle gets filled with a plastic cap.
    Jeff Jensen

Good catch Jeff. The plastic tank and spacesaver wasn't permitted with M 559 air con. They got series steel like UK cars. Frank was right about steel tank on that car but for the wrong reason

Don't know much about aircon tbh as that option not much fitted here in UK especially during that era . UK average annual temperatures range from 6°C in the winter to 20°C in the summer partly due to gulf stream moderating extremes of temperature range found on some other parts of Europe.

Car might still need the 911 S bumper and yellow headlights lens if goal is restored to original France (C06?) spec. Also have recollection of larger interior mirror for France spec but could be wrong in that vague memory ?

Steve

Ha ha ha... that's a good one to throw in here!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 911MRP View Post
    ...oh wait a minute isn't it being reported that Porsche are training some folks up to do a paid authenticity check?
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616