Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New to me: 1972 T

Wow, I got bumped - usually that's for older threads than my own ;-) I think I finished the story in a couple other threads, but why not put it here...

When the engine/suspension/exhaust work was completed, the mechanic took it out for a drive and was promptly rear-ended (lightly) at a red light by a taller car. The rear engine lid was bent and a corner above a tail light lightly creased... Nothing horrible but at the time, I started wondering if I had run over a nun in a past life or something... Also, the engine still wasn't 100% right in my book.

The shop separeted from the mechanic that worked on my car subsequently - not because of the accident, different guy - and in the process I also lost the long tube that comes out of the airbox and connects to a flapper valve - we suspect he either decided to throw it away (he had mentioned it wasn't necessary but I wanted to retain it) or just took it, or it dissapeared while the shop relocated :

Name:  IMG_9388.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  155.2 KB

There car runs great without it, but if anyone's got a spare, I wouldn't mind for originality's sake as my car is otherwise very stock... Unless those cost a fortune...

So the engine lid was replaced and Hagerty covered the initial fix (cheap). Sadly I did not stay on top of this an inherited an incorrect "new" engine lid. After looking at the paint situation (80% original but cracked, chipped, dinged), we could not match the tail of the car to the rest, condition wise... Hagerty was consulted and came through with flying colors and approved a full respray. And they have not cancelled me since, either. So that this an an endorsement of good insurance !

At that point, the original shop decided they were out of their league and farmed out a tear down and reassembly of my engine to another shop, a well known pro in the area (Chilly's in Tampa bay), which was nice of them! I forget the details but Chilly's (great guys) confirmed all was done well by the original mechanic, except that when you rebuilt an engine, apparently there is a spot where it is advisable to add an o-ring that wasn't present from the factory but helps with leaks on a rebuilt motor(?).. anyhow they did that, and rechecked the previous rebuild and tightened everything back up. Then tuned it up 100% better.

Combined with the new restored TBs and some fuel distributor loosening up (several trip to readjust), the car finally responded to treatment and honestly it now pulls like a freight train and sounds glorious. Seat of my pants, it feels like my old SC. I also lowered it a little bit and installed the fuchs with Harvey Weidman's frosted treatment

Here it is just before we left FL and relocated to the SF bay area...

I've also added a Jwest shifter since, a factory extended hub steering wheel, removed and replaced the interior AC vent and put new knee pads instead, added rear seat belts (dated 72!) from jim@EASY, and observed as the value of the restored car doubled since that time ;-) Not for sale though. But my 912 might be, as I lost a ton of garage space in my move.....

Here it is now in california, at EASY

Name:  sIMG_3148.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  218.4 KB

and next to the wife's 912

Name:  sIMG_3499.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  112.2 KB
    Last edited by Greg D.; 02-05-2015 at 07:02 AM.
    Greg.
    ----------
    72 911T - 73 2002

Quote Originally Posted by Greg D. View Post
    . . . 911T and 912 getting a wash . . .
    So! --- you're That Guy . . .

. . . and thanks for the update
    Attached Images Attached Images  

We Can Be Heroes

@aircooledph on Instagram jaldeguer's Avatar
    I could be wrong but I think this AC was the standard dealer installed in the US, although for a later '73 and the midyear 911s.

Nice acquisition.

Absolutely correct, that was the dealer installed A/C, probably Koolaire or VPC.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

I think it was Koolaire, it included a big plastic hump over the smuggler's boot. Now replaced with a normal closing panel. Either way, it was non functional - and having had a working A/C in a 911 before I was not about to bother fixing that, given the end result. Not to mention the under dash vents were not in the nicest of shape, and preventing me from driving comfortably, my knees are close enough to the dash as it were. I gave the vents away, patched the holes in the passenger footwell/smuggler's boot, and haven't looked back. If anything it's the heat I've got to fix now (it turns on but then it's permanently on until I manually move the flappers under the car - I once picked it up from the mechanic's and they had mistakenly pulled the heat lever instead of the start throttle, by the time I made the freeway I had to turn back because it was 90F outside and 120 inside the car ;-)
    Last edited by Greg D.; 02-05-2015 at 10:40 AM.
    Greg.
    ----------
    72 911T - 73 2002

Hello Greg, as a fellow owner of a 103K original mile '72 coupe in light ivory I though I'd give you a hand. Here's the link to the sierra madre site showing that boot your missing. Cheers

http://www.sierramadrecollection.com...-73-p6627.html

Here's stoddards link to the same part:
    http://www.stoddard.com/911-108-272-00.html

Thanks... I am more concerned about the bit after that "extension" or "boot" that has a valve in it. I know it's not a required bit for the engine to run, but it's pretty expensive as a new part. I'm not sure my desire for originality goes as far as paying $$$ for something that isn't required but it would plug a hole in my engine tin! I'm annoyed I had it and it disappeared... If someone has a used one gathering dust in a garage, I might buy that if I can afford it..

Is the boot "only" a useful addition, as far as grabbing air slightly further down the engine compartment?
    Greg.
    ----------
    72 911T - 73 2002

Oh, you need the flapper box? Those can be found used here or on Pelican for a couple hundred bucks.you can expect to pay about 300 bucks for the thing. There was a pair of them that popped up over on pelican about a week ago. Although they are typically referred to as the flapper box, I think the technical definition is a regulator. Warm air regulator I think. Just make sure that if you get one, you get the bracket that mounts it if you don't have that and also the roller assembly that rides against the throttle bar. sometimes they can be missing those things. it was a 72 and 73 year only piece for the 2.4 liter engines.
    I think all it does is draw warm air from the heat exchanger until the engine gets warm. So I think it just helps the engine run better on a cold start up.

We Can Be Heroes