Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seeking Price/Value/Information on Windshields

Seeking Price/Value/Information on Windshields

I'm seeking the community's advice re: windshields. I bought a '68 project car with a windshield. On close inspection, the windshield has a round center mount for a mirror, which obviously means it is not correct for a '68.

Obviously, I have a windshield that I don't need and at the same time, I need a windshield.

THE WINDSHIELD I HAVE:
    I have a PPG windshield, with a round mirror mount. It is shaded and tinted. Can anyone tell me which year this windshield was correct? Can you also suggest its approximate value?

WHAT WINDSHIELD IS CORRECT FOR VERY EARLY 1968?
    The research says that it was likely tinted, but no shade. and no glass-mounted mirror. Is that correct? What manufacturer? What would be a fair price range?

Obviously, it would be great if i could trade. Any suggestions from anyone?

Thank you, as always.

ms

Lightbulb

ms,

- All air cooled 911 windshields are dimensionally the same
    - What you have is an early/late universal windshield that would be applicable until they started putting antenna wire in them…
    - The round mount/pin started I believe with the SC’s, the mount can be CAREFULLY removed with a heat gun.
    - A ’68 windshield would have been tinted or clear…… not shaded
    - ‘German’ period windshields are very hard to find and expensive.
    - As of late China has been making very good replacement windshields in both tinted (easy to get) and clear (harder to get) at very reasonable prices.
    - For availability, economy, and authenticity it is possible to buy a China windshield and have a German manufacturer logo etched on it.

For some of us windshields are expendables, like brake pads, rotors, or clutches. I replace my windshield about every 3 years, so economy and fit is more important then correctness.

Not sure if you can trade your windshield for another……

Hope this helps

Cheers,
    Chuck
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Loud lederhosen saves lives hoffman912's Avatar
    what are the going rates for the different front and rear windshields?
    Harry Hoffman
    1968 912 #3656, burgundy red 'Fritz'. Some mods..
    912 Registry charter member #912R0195-C
    Early 911S Registry Member #2070
    356 Registry Member #36691

http://hoffman912.blogspot.com/

THANK YOU, CHUCK!! the cost of membership in the early911sregistry.org has been one of the best investments i've ever made. i wold rather have heard that my windshield was some rare piece, it saves me lots of time to get credible information quickly. again, thank you.

it looks like my windshield is pretty much worthless. i'll begin searching for a tinted windshield from china, like you suggested. ms

Stoddard stocks a clear Sigla windshield for about $450. Do you really want "MADE IN CHINA" anywhere on your Porsche?

Don

don, your point is very well-taken. i didn't realize the chinese windshields actually said "china" on them. i thought he meant they were unmarked and could be etched with something like "sigla." anyway, since i'm still digging out rust, it'll be awhile before i need a windshield. the inquiry was more for getting rid of an incorrect one.

but the input of the community is always appreciated.

thank you.

ms

Don,

None of the 'China' windshields I've seen have 'Made in China' anywhere in their logo.... In fact I've seen 'China' windshields with nothing on them at all.
    And are we sure the Siglas from Stoddard come from Germany?
    The last 'real' German Sigla logo clear I've heard of was going for about $1100 w/spacial shipping.... that was less than 2 years ago.

I suppose this could have all changed...... but not sure

... just my .02
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

The last one I took out said "Made in China" I just received a Sigla from Stoddard. Once I unwrap it I will let you know if it is German. Its tough to avoid. Just bought a new helmet made by Impact (founded by Simpson) They are the last American made helmet company. Even Bells are made in China!

Don

Don,
    I hope your windshield from Stoddard says "Sigla". The last one I received from Stoddard was supposed to be Sigla, but said "Pilkington" instead. I had waited until I needed it to unwrap it...too long to return it. Please unwrap yours right away!

Leon

I could be wrong, but my understanding is that Pilkington makes the windshields and Stoddard has contracted them to add the Sigla name with permission.
    John Schiavone

Connecticut

356 Cab, 66 911, 914-6, 550-Beck, 981 Cayman, 54 MV Agusta Dustbid