Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Nürburgring Badges . . .

Pre-War Badges

. . . from Wehrmacht-Awards . . .

'. . . not sure wither (sic) this is the correct section for these but hoping for some information on these badges as I can find nothing on them.

They are all Third Reich period, large badges stamped ges.gesch and pins stamped A.Donner Sclechfield.

I have found modern versions of these badges on Porches (sic) in fact James Deans Porsche Spyder had the exact one on his.

They are definitetly (sic) Third Reich period as were vet bring back with Luftwaffe items . . .
    '

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/FORU...d.php?t=300861

Anecdotal, but --- WOW! . . .

Referring to the groupings, notice . . .
    1) . . . how bright the white is (still) . . . and fractured --- original?
    2) . . . art-deco 'G'
    3) . . . flat tabs
    4) . . . finish on the back --- no Donner+no citation

Interesting that Donner is stamped on the pins.

Rick
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LongRanger; 08-01-2011 at 11:56 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    Hey, Dirk . . .

Hmm. Interesting badge . . . especially the back+edges . . .

When I first see this, from the front . . . reminds me most of the ‘wreathed’ ’65 --- lettering, gold-ish finish. But then the letters look less-consistent/lower quality, especially the ‘U.’ Can’t tell from the photos --- is the front lettering made up of metal, sticking up through/surrounded by black? Looks 'flat' . . . is it? Clear-coating sounds like a more-modern touch . . . would guess the date as ‘after (maybe way) 65/before ’90.’

The back --- very interesting, fine detail --- finished-off, in a way I haven’t seen on these . . . not pebbly+not smooth . . . textured. Edges very finished --- actually wrap around --- nothing like a Donner . . . higher-quality detail, this. Eyelets are small, thick, sturdy-looking --- finished, as well . . . unique. ’36’ is interesting but --- with no Maker’s marks . . . no ideas.

Keeping your pictures.

Rick
    Hi Rick,

A couple of slightly better quality pictures. The lettering appears to be the same finish as the other gold areas - so looking at those it appears that it may be on the surface and is slightly raised. This same gold finish appears over the surface of the edges of the badge and you can see some areas where it appears to have worn off. Interestingly you can see some of the letters look like they have physical wear - so unless this could be part of the manufacturing process the clear coat may have been added later.

If you wan't higher resolution pictures just PM me your email address.

Cheers
    Dirk Janek
    1970 911T 3.0/915

When

Looking at the ges.gesch group above's had me thinking most of the day . . .

I've pinged the writer of the post in Wehrmacht-Awards --- hopefully he'll write back -- but, in the mean time . . . I believe that these Nurburgring badges are pre-war. Biggest reason is where this stuff turned-up --- on a war memorabilia site. Really --- he had NO idea . . .

If these badges are pre-war, then there are some interesting conclusions to be drawn/questions begged . . .

First --- the design of the Nürburgring badge is old --- very old --- going back to within a few years of the opening of the Track --- and has not changed since . . . especially the art-deco font. (This is bugging me)

Second --- ges.gesch figures in the production of these very early badges . . . but so does Donner

Third --- It appears that Donner was doing business out of Sclechfield (miss-spelled?) pre-war. So --- when did Donner move to Wuppertal?

And fourth --- no where on these very early badges does there appear a citation mentioning the designer. (And this is really bugging me)

My badge doesn't 'fit'
    It has a blockier font --- seen nowhere else (yet)
    Ditto the mounting tabs
    And it has a citation for a Designer --- so far only repeated . . . with a mis-spell

Bugging me . . . . . . when was my badge made?

Rick
    Last edited by LongRanger; 08-01-2011 at 11:57 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

1931 . . .

. . . holy cr@p! . . .

We Can Be Heroes

And Heard Back . . .

. . . on the ges.gesch group above . . .

Hi Rick,

Sorry these badges are long gone here is the only information we managed to find out about them

WW2 German Nurburgring Race track Enamelled (sic) Car badges and stick pins

Third Reich period, Set of Nurburgring car badges and stick pins from the famous German Nurburgring Race track. One large car badge and one small car badge both stamped ges.gesch and two stick pins both maker stamped A.Donner Sclechfield. These would be affixed to cars which had completed a circuit at the Nurburgring race track. We have never seen these for sale before and it is nice to get a set of them. Vet bring back with Luftwaffe items we would presume the original owner served in the Luftwaffe.

A rare item -

Price: £395 - Ref: 631 . . .

Hhhh.

Rick

We Can Be Heroes

Rick, those programs are killer. As are the small versions and stick-pins you posted earlier! It's always been my impression that the badge design went back to just after the track opened in 1927. The graphic of the castle appeared on ADAC materials prior to construction of the "permanent" circuit, so it's not a stretch to imagine the design we all associate with was done by the first plakette vendor chosen by the ADAC... whoever THAT was. Donner, ges.gesch or ???

The variety of pins and badges marking events by different car and bike clubs over the years is enormous and sometimes bewildering. If one could successfully gather data and images of them all it would make one hell of a book! Some of the cloisonné artwork is so beautiful, just a large coffee table tome would be welcome.

Not to to hijack your thread of the most recognizable design... The first is a 1927 badge with the iconic castle prominent... the second one Michael Keil is currently offering, just lovely:

!Be2,WK!!2k~$(KGrHqUH-CEErvZKS-BVBK-9LsPJUw~~_3.jpgrallyeoststravem58_7.jpg
    Last edited by Bullethead; 07-28-2011 at 08:41 AM.
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

Pile On!

Don't worry about 'jackin' this thread, Russ . . .

Anything with 'badges' and the Nürburgring belongs here.

Like you said --- there's just a galaxy of this stuff! . . . all the artistry, craftsmanship --- imagination.

Germans love badges . . . like dogs love trucks . . .

Rick

We Can Be Heroes

ges.gesch? . . .

. . . NOT a company . . .

. . . Ges Gesch is an abbreviation for gesetzlich geschützt. Gesetzlich translates from German to English as legal, legitimate, by law. Geschützt translates from German to English as protected or sheltered. Ergo the translation means: legally protected . . .

. . . more like our 'trade-mark' or 'copywrite' . . .

Rick
    Last edited by LongRanger; 07-28-2011 at 12:02 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

Thumbs up

WOW!!!!!!!

I'm see'n and learn'n about some REALLY great badges on this thread......
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Marco and I were THERE today and they were sold out of them!