Page 11 of 81 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: Light Yellow ST in Progress

John has almost finished installing the flares (except for underside seal edges) and is getting near the end with metal body work. The AC condenser box needed removing and John decided to clean up the fuel tank support because there was some rust in spots on the leading edge.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

The 72-only strut bar brace is now welded, and the washer bottle bracket from the upper area (standard for AC equipped cars) has been relocated to the normal nose position.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Hi Gib. During my Treffen trip last week, I made a stop at TLG to visit with Tony and Marco. Of course, hanging out with those guys was a trip, but while I was there I also got a full shop tour from John E. himself. It was great to see your terrific project first hand. It looks fantastic. John's work is impressive — he is warm and friendly. I know he's busy but he took the time to explain everything that's going on in his shop... in great detail. It was quite the tour. His skill and passion for these cars is second to none.
    Last edited by Mark Morrissey; 05-11-2012 at 05:34 PM.
    I have a website now:
    www.markmorrissey.org

Instagram: @Mark0Morrissey

A few more pics of the welding details on the tank support and flares. Not many body shops will put the small seal edges on the bottom of the flares like John does. It gives the flares a factory finished look and functions to keep the seals in place.

I have decided to go with dual oil coolers rather than the center mounted cooler that was introduced by the factory during the 72 season. I really like the new Elephant Racing cross over lines after seeing them on Scott's ST, so I bought a set. John has cut elongated holes for easy fitment of the lines through the fender walls. It will make it easier to install the lines when the trunk area is painted so that it doesn't get scratched up putting them in on final assembly.
    Last edited by letsrollbabe; 05-12-2012 at 09:26 AM.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Oh boy! It's getting fun now! It will look great in light yellow. Can't wait to see paint on it.
    72S, 72T now ST

The driver door had a ripped out door catch, so here is how John repairs that problem. The bodywork is getting near finished and the stripping of all paint is in progress. I love this stage of a project... a shiny steel body with all the stripping marks on it.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

More swirly shiny steel....and aluminum (the rear deck lid), all but the fiber glass hood shows its shape as a raw art form. This is a sculptor's studio, with unfinished art.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

One more shot of the passenger side before primer goes on. I can look at this shape for hours and see so many appealing angles to the curving surfaces. This picture could have been taken in '72 in a privateer shop which was preparing a 72 911 body for circuit competition. Steel fenders with ST flares, fiberglass hood, aluminum engine lid..the starting point for all serious 911 competitors in 72.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Nice work Gib mine has gone to paint after 10 months of meticulous body work. I too am using the elephant racing lines we had to modify the LHD cooler mounting bracket and protection plate
    quite significantly to ensure a similar quality fit to the RHS if you don't the LHS cooler sits at an angle and the cover supplied is identical to the RHS so doesn't touch the guards where it should.
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

In primer.....finally! John has finished getting the body work done to his satisfaction. The aluminum rear lid and fiber glass front cover gaps and fit are perfect, as they are for the doors and fenders. It's masterful work. The factory didn't do it any better in 72.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17