Page 13 of 81 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: Light Yellow ST in Progress

Single stage Light Yellow is a light enough paint that it needs a base coat of white underneath to make the color show its true brightness. John put the white base coat on and then spayed the Light Yellow. Still lots of work to do on the details of the car, but the bright look of the LY color really helps to enhance the ST body. John sent this shot before leaving the shop tonight, and more will come later.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by letsrollbabe; 08-09-2012 at 07:03 AM.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Now that's how you paint a Porsche! Very nice. John had said my car looked liked the sun after he painted it. Maybe at dawn or dusk. This is the sun during the middle of the day in Arizona!
    72S, 72T now ST

You're right, Scott, it is very bright. Here are a few more shots showing the flares and other details. The undercoating has all been done in black.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Looking good Gib! John is The Man...
    1973 911E Viper Green
    2021 Spyder PTS Signal Yellow
    2019 Carrera T Racing Yellow
    2008 Boxster S Ltd. Ed Orange
    2007 911 GT3 Meteor Grey

@Type911 instagram
    RGruppe #295
    Zuffenhausen secret weapon

a giant Lemon! Very nice...hopefully we're done with yellow cars for a minute ;-)
    scott kinder
    kindersport@gmail.com

Registry #614

9110220587 - 1973 RSR revival in progress
    My Car Thread: "Five-Eighty-Seven..."
    “If it isn't there, it didn't cost anything, it doesn't weigh anything and can't break." - From the philosophy of Grady Clay

Quote Originally Posted by YTNUKLR View Post
    a giant Lemon! Very nice...hopefully we're done with yellow cars for a minute ;-)
    Scott:

Using 'Lemon' to describe any car is not really good...

And if you were to attend any gathering of long hoods these days, one of the least represented colors is Light Yellow, while in the day, it was one of the most popular (296 RS/RSRs). I would suggest for your project at John's shop that you choose a muted color that was not very popular in the day, like, say...Raspberry, or Lilac, and you wouldn't have to worry about other cars looking the same in a long hood parking lot.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

I have been trying different looks with the 'initial' engine for this ST, and have configured it with an amber shroud and open Webers with rain shields....just to see what it looks like.

Also, John sent a pic today with the car outside in the sun. The color in the pic is a little washed out in the sun, but the shadows give a little different perspective than inside the paint booth.
    Last edited by letsrollbabe; 08-11-2012 at 11:54 AM.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

I saw the car today. It looks AWESOME! I don't think the color looks washed out at all. It certainly looks darker yellow in the shade, but the Viper Green is the same way. The super wide race inspired rear flares are just mean looking. Maybe some 8"s and 10"s with some 275/40 and 245/40????

On a thread in the 'Technical' section (High Butterfly Air Filtration), a product that I had not heard about was discussed...'Booties' for covering open velocity stacks. I ordered a set for the HBs on my Kremer ST (3.25" dia.), and a set for the LY ST engine (2.5" dia.). Here are some pics of them installed. They filter air down to 0.005" and reflect water according to the web site. They offer a second level of protection (after rain shields), but are not really as effective as true air filters like the ITG or K&N types. Still, they do offer some protection and are easy to remove for opening a lid at a gathering if desired. According to data on the web site, the loss in air flow for typical Porsche engine port sizes is very small (0.3 in H2O). Here is a link to the company offering these 'Booties'.

http://www.outerwearsracing.com/search.asp
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

I used to use those outerwear's racing booties on the two FCR 39 carbs and velocity stacks on my bike. Switched to Uni filters.
    (1) The carb booties don't provide much protection against road dust on real roads. If you change your oil very frequently, them maybe you don't care, but if you want to stick to the standard oil change intervals, then expect much dirtier oil and presumably more wear.
    (2) Unlike the Uni's where I have the same AFR with or without the filters, the carb booties actual change the AFR. So they do make a difference in intake restriction, and while you can rejet to accommodate, you will lose hp. Turned out to be about 5 hp on my bike (which puts down 108 rwhp) with the Uni filters.

Ravi
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK