Page 2 of 81 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Light Yellow ST in Progress

You are right, Mike, Edy is very understanding and I am really lucky for that.

Al, The engine plans are still undecided. I am leaning toward a single plug 2.4S+ for now.

Can you believe the lid shocks still work on this car after 20+ years. New ones don't seem to last very long, go figure.

I had one guy comment in private that it is really a shame to 'hack up' a 72 with factory AC and S/R, and I will have to admit, it does give me pause as these items appear to be in good restorable condition. Anyone want to swap a like-condition 72 without AC and S/R? (The body has been stripped and primered, it isn't rusty as it appears.)

I posted pics of the AC system in the Tech section to document a 72 factory installed system as there were dealer installed and aftermarket versions which has led to confusion.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

I say go for it. Make it a hot rod with a proper roof. It just makes all the other concours cars more valuable.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

That's what God made T's for! Go for it! To bring that car back to all original with the sporto wouldn't even come close to the cost of what it would be worth.
    72S, 72T now ST

Some things are rare because not many people liked them.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

Gib,

The car looks great! I see potential not the current condition. I know what you mean by wanting to build an entire car from a single part. I once built a 993 GT2 from a 911SC tub because I liked the new wing on the deck lid. I'm looking forward to sharing your journey.

Bob

Gib,

I know what you mean about projects. . . they often defy rationality. It's also true that 100% of the cars that really catch our attention here are the product of irrational minds. I have never, ever said, "wow, what a mediocre restoration but I bet the owner stands to make a nice profit exiting for a reasonable market valuation."

All that said, I would pop for the COA on the brown car before you cut. Who knows. . . sepia brown, air conditioning, sunroof, sportomatic, who knows what other options and accessories came with the car. That might make it a candidate for restoration on its own, although I agree with you that it's pretty far progressed for that. At least you cut with a clear conscience.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

The car has sway bars, 5 instruments, 6x15 Fuchs wheels w/orig. type Michelin tires, Becker Europa radio (appears to work), sway bars, T front brakes, AC, SR...and about the only thing I don't know is what kind of seats it had, and which front bumper (S or T).

Oh, and I do think it was rallied in the US and has all the ST additional welding, the deck lid is aluminum, the qtr and side windows are Glaverbel, a light weight interior, and the guy I bought it from had the original ST bucket seats but wouldn't part with them. This then would have been the 2nd ST built with a SR, and the first with Sporto trans and AC........Oh, but it's fun to dream.....
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

This car was originally from New York. I knew the original owner John Manzari. He never liked the sporto and had a local german mechanic replace the original trans with a 901, he did a quickie conversion and left the large brake pedal intact. The heater boxes rusted out and I remember he torch welded some sheet metal to repair them. It is a 52,000 original mile car. I sold it to a guy in Ohio who was going to put fiberglass rsr fenders on it. It also has factory electric windows if I remember correctly. The seats were leather. Very unique car , but it is a T.

Quote Originally Posted by eprnjp View Post
    This car was originally from New York. I knew the original owner John Manzari. He never liked the sporto and had a local german mechanic replace the original trans with a 901, he did a quickie conversion and left the large brake pedal intact. The heater boxes rusted out and I remember he torch welded some sheet metal to repair them. It is a 52,000 original mile car. I sold it to a guy in Ohio who was going to put fiberglass rsr fenders on it. It also has factory electric windows if I remember correctly. The seats were leather. Very unique car , but it is a T.
    This forum is AMAZING!
    Thanks very much for this post. It corroborates the story I got from the guy I bought the car from (bought from the RSR planner). He sold the front end GT Racing bumper and fenders, but kept the rear bumper, which is a very early one with excellent quality work.

I forgot to mention about the electric windows, so here are some pics of them. The bezels are somewhat tarnished, but I rubbed on the left one, and it cleaned up pretty well. Interesting that on on the passenger side the factory punched a second hole for a switch...so the doors could be used for a right hand drive car. The elec. windows will be removed.

That 901 tranny is a 66 and is for sale in the parts section for $500. I don't think it has a lot of miles on it. This car now shows 58k miles which confirms my conclusion they are orig. miles. It only traveled 6k miles from the NY days.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Got the car on my lift today and the bottom looks good and unabused. The front nose doesn't appear to have been damaged along the way either. I hooked a battery up and found that the SR and electric windows work.

I have had calls from several people about the path to take with this car. I am pondering which way to proceed, go for the pure ST car, which would mean removing the SR, AC, and elec. windows...or not. Recommendations vary from go for the ST to leave the fairly rare factory options and make it an R Gruppe hotrod with whatever flares... front/rear ST, front stock/rear ST, RS rear, or stock. It will never be a numbers matching car as the tranny is gone, and the engine case seems to be corroded badly enough from water damage that it may not be useable.

Whatever I do, it will be Light Yellow.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17