Page 22 of 81 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast

Thread: Light Yellow ST in Progress

Here's a better shot of the rear showing the contours without sun fading it out. Still sitting tall, but it's beginning to look like a car.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Quote Originally Posted by letsrollbabe View Post
    Jens:

Not sure it's 'some balls', or just letting passion overcome good judgement. I have envisioned a LY ST for so long in my mind, I felt compelled to build one.

Here are a couple more pics, with the driver side profile showing the shape of the flare openings for a question I was asked (and compared to an original Toad Hall LY ST). These ST flares are different from other flares with the 'eye brow' opening shape...and the opening is wider. The shape of the rear flare shoulder is also different, tapering from a turbo style vertical edge at the opening to a narrower edge at the rear. The front flares begin their bulge out from the top of the fender higher up than turbo flares, and also have a larger eye-brow opening shape. These are minor and 'who cares' details to most, but it is a point of interest to others.
    I know the owner/driver of the 15 "Toad Hall" pictured at Sebring in 72, I own the hood mount lights off of that car (/NO,not for sale or trade)
    Byron Von Dwyer,

20+ Year PCA

Active Rennlist Member.
    http://members.rennlist.com/racerbvd/

Want to Start a Porsche Related Business??
    I'm getting burned out, see my blog for more info
    Byron me911bvd@aol.com
    http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.p...log&blogid=337

Byron, please show some pics of those hood lights if you have some...Marchals I assume?

In answer to another question, no, I am not planning on using cookie cutters and BBS wheels in the final version.... I will be using 8+9x15 Fuchs as soon as Harvey gets them done. I will most likely put a few decals on, plus some black striping here and there.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Quote Originally Posted by letsrollbabe View Post
    Byron, please show some pics of those hood lights if you have some...Marchals I assume?

In answer to another question, no, I am not planning on using cookie cutters and BBS wheels in the final version.... I will be using 8+9x15 Fuchs as soon as Harvey gets them done. I will most likely put a few decals on, plus some black striping here and there.
    Here are a few, I can take more.
    these are the Marchal lights from the Pentecost Toad Hall 911.

And here is the same lights on the car there were last used on

Byron Von Dwyer,

20+ Year PCA

Active Rennlist Member.
    http://members.rennlist.com/racerbvd/

Want to Start a Porsche Related Business??
    I'm getting burned out, see my blog for more info
    Byron me911bvd@aol.com
    http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.p...log&blogid=337

Really amazing job Gib! BTW (Better than Werke!)

Regarding flares, a crucial point from my point of view. I have in my archive these flares. Claimed to be an original 2.3 SR from Feustel.

Name:  autowp.ru_porsche_911_l_2.3_st_coupe_4.jpg
Views: 764
Size:  54.9 KB

Smaller wheels, smaller flare than yours but quite 'organic' ...

Name:  autowp.ru_porsche_911_l_2.3_st_coupe_3.jpg
Views: 739
Size:  68.6 KB

David
    _
    “Simplify and add lightness” Colin Chapman

ex-1988 Carrera, ex-1991 Turbo, ex-1992 968, ex-1990 Carrera 2, ex-1997 Carrera 4

Davser:

ST flare shapes from the day have been discussed many times on this board, and while all seem to have that 'organic' shape to me...they have different shapes. Metal fabricators of the day most likely used the factory provided flares to achieve various extensions for larger wheel/race tire sizes. It has been suggested that Kremer made their own flares, but many others were most likely modified. It would be interesting to know how many STs were factory prepared vs privately done in that famous shot from Christophorus (Thomas Zimmerman) with a gaggle of them leading a starting grid.
    Last edited by letsrollbabe; 03-13-2013 at 07:44 AM.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Just a deduction but I think rally cars (or intented off-track purpose) had more bulbous flares (like your LY ST) than track cars (like Kremers or RSRs) ... It makes sense because rally roads needs longer suspension travel and circuit demands less travel however more width to compensate wider tires and 15" tires torsion.

David
    _
    “Simplify and add lightness” Colin Chapman

ex-1988 Carrera, ex-1991 Turbo, ex-1992 968, ex-1990 Carrera 2, ex-1997 Carrera 4

Excuse my ignorance (I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested), but did the factory make different flares for 7, 8, 9, and 11 inch wheels for the R, ST, RS, RSR? Was there more than one factory choice for the ST, like 1.5, 2, 3 inch, etc?

Just wonderin'.

Zitronengelb R1012 the RatBasterd
    RGruppe #183

Jens,

It was more of a moving target... From the end of ’69 through the middle of ’72 the technology and rules were changing all the time. By the time WORKS-1 would put out a fender set the rules and or classes would change. And some of the 'independents' (like Kremer) would insist on making the fenders themselves..... it all made for LOTS of variations.....
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Right Chuck, lots of variation starting with the factory's first homologation special with no flares at all. It just seems to me (without going into my library) that a couple of different factory widths existed. Harvey, you out there?
    Last edited by Jens; 03-15-2013 at 12:04 PM.

Zitronengelb R1012 the RatBasterd
    RGruppe #183