Page 3 of 81 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Light Yellow ST in Progress

Gib- Light Yellow is a great color, one of the best for an early 911, whatever variety. You do what I dream of. I just need a bit more space and a little less college tuition. Eye candy below:

Nick
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Nick Psyllos
    S Reg & R Gruppe
    1973 Euro 911S
    1972 911T to ST

What engine configuration did the Toad Hall ST use? any pix?

Regards,
    Al
    Al Kosmal
    the X-faktory
    Current projects; 69-911.5
    76S rat bastard---off to Germany

1970 914-4...off to Wisconsin
    73 911X Cafe Racer...........(off to S.F.....now racing in Germany)
    66 912 ...off to France
    71E 9111200979 ( gone to Paris..then to Corsica)
    77S (off to NY)
    Early S #1240

RGruppe #669
    www.x-faktory.com

Al:

Most likely Toad Hall used the factory 2.5 MFI, but it could have been with 46 Webers either one producing 275 hp at 8000. There were a couple of LY Toad Hall cars and several others in Europe which used the color, including one privateer tuned by Kremer.
    Last edited by letsrollbabe; 02-26-2013 at 04:24 AM.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Gib
    Don't get derailed by public opinion. Continue along your original path. I look forward to the outcome.
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com

Quote Originally Posted by bob tilton View Post
    Gib
    Don't get derailed by public opinion. Continue along your original path. I look forward to the outcome.
    +1

Only thing I might consider were I in your shoes is making this a go-anywhere, anytime counterpoint to your green car in ways you can't see on the outside or while using it, one of which might be doing hidden A/C (I've seen one very slick setup that put the compressor under the left taillight), more comfortable suspension, a 3.4 w/Motec or Motronic, etc. Then again...

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. This stage (clean sheet) in a project is always a good time to really think through all the details, and do 'out of the box' thinking as Pete suggested. Raj's love for Sporto cars gave me a moment of pause, and there is a 2.4T Sporto MFI engine in Prescott, AZ that could help move in the direction of restoring the car to its original configuration.

But my gut says stay with what originally inspired me for so long....a LY ST (thanks Bob), based on the concept of a privateer in the day wanting to modify his 72T for competition purposes...either track or rally. What makes the ST era so aluring is that it was a time when any Joe Blow could order competition parts to build a car that pretty well matched what the professional guys had....and many did. Built with flared fenders for wider tires, stock brakes and slightly modified suspension, stripped interiors, some special engine parts to increase compression and provide more air/fuel induction with twin plugs and cams that complimented, these cars were found thoughout the world in all types of competition.

Pete, the idea of a more modern sleeper version is intriguing, but the 964 fulfills that itch for me. The appealing character of these early cars lies in their small displacement high revving engines and the no-nonsense somewhat primitive features. Not to knock the guy who wants to mix modern features to make them more year round enjoyable, I just see them as special event cars...either a track/road event or a 2-3 hour rip through back country twisting roads like your special test circuit offers.

Here is a picture taken at Leguna Seca in the day showing an ST flared car which seems to fit my vision of that privateer. I don't know whose car this was, but I like what it seems to represent.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Thumbs up

I LOVE THAT PIC Gib......
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Quote Originally Posted by 911T1971 View Post
    good luck

A great project Gib - as you know I'm working on my own version of Toad Hall #15 so really looking forward to this thread

Martin

velocity stacks

Quote Originally Posted by varunan123 View Post
    Grady's rear end for inspiration-gib i am sure your project will turn out fantastic

raj

If any of you are going this route, with your engine plans, I have a set of factory, hi-butterfly velocity stacks. ................................Five are in very good shape...One has a sizable chip that I'm attempting to repair. Contact me if there is any interest.

Regards,
    al
    Last edited by X-Faktory; 08-06-2011 at 07:18 AM.
    Al Kosmal
    the X-faktory
    Current projects; 69-911.5
    76S rat bastard---off to Germany

1970 914-4...off to Wisconsin
    73 911X Cafe Racer...........(off to S.F.....now racing in Germany)
    66 912 ...off to France
    71E 9111200979 ( gone to Paris..then to Corsica)
    77S (off to NY)
    Early S #1240

RGruppe #669
    www.x-faktory.com

Gib,
    I think a LY ST will be a worthy build for you...especialy with your talents. OK...you know I'm predjudiced on Light Yellow racers.
    My advice is to do it the way you have always wanted to do it. I did my LY '73S racer over 25 years ago the way I wanted and I've never regretted it.
    Looking forward to seeing your progress.
    Rich