Page 5 of 81 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: Light Yellow ST in Progress

Quote Originally Posted by Longballa View Post
    Gib, are those wider than 9 inches. They look FAT!
    Scott:

They do measure a little wider than the new German ST flares, close to 14" from the body rail (I think the new ones mounted measure approx. 13.5" as your ST project has), but this may be partly do to the fact that these are not yet welded on.

Looking at pics from the day, we know there were different versions of the rear ST flares used. These appear to be factory, based on the torsion hole, the taper at the front, and fender lip, and that they appear to be a stamping.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

I mounted a 10x15 BBS 3 piece (20 bolt) wheel with a 245/50 Dunlop tire just to see what it looks like with the loosely taped flare.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Looks just right!
    72S, 72T now ST

I was able to secure a pair of factory ST front flares, so now it will be up to John Esposito to transform the body into an ST shape that could have come from Porsche in 72. It looks pretty ugly right now as I have stripped the AC, electric windows, and Sporto parts from the shell. The good news is that it seems to be a very clean body.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Thanks for keep us up to date Gib. Keep'em coming.

+! I just love the fact that you are doing a SECOND ST project!
    Looking for engine # 6208151
    '74 RS 3.0 Replica
    '70 911E Bahia Red (SOLD)
    '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 Twin plug BEAST (SOLD)
    Australian TYP 901 Register #78
    Early S Registry # 1076

this is my somewhat toad hall project 65 911 rs spec 27 with a 66 901 zf gearbox
    31 model A coupe
    41 Willys coupe
    70 911 T
    68 911 softie 11880049
    67 912/911 355032
    66 911 303509
    65 911 301275

Quote Originally Posted by Cam Arnott View Post
    +! I just love the fact that you are doing a SECOND ST project!
    I guess it is a little crazy to be doing a second ST car, but...as I told my wife, this project will be the LAST ONE....

I need to get this project off my lift so I can finish the Kremer ST and finish some assembly on the 76 Carrera 3.0 that has just been painted. I am planning to get the ST project over to John Esposito's shop for body/paint soon, but I still need to get it stripped of a few more parts. Here are some shots showing the current condition. I took a chance (as we all do) when buying this project without an inspection, but it looks like it is in pretty good shape.

I will keep the pics coming NickR, and thanks for your comment.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Hey Gib, thats funny. I told my wife the same thing...

Here's a pic from what looks like the 72 Targa Florio showing a Strahle entry with wide rear flares like the ones I recently found, and they seem to have the small torsion hole. The car also has a front oil cooler, which was an option introduced by the factory after determining that the trannies were running too hot and used the driver side fender cooler to circulate oil through. Since the 275 hp engine still needed more than the right side fender cooler, a front cooler was added. This may have been one of the last iterations of the STs before the 73 RSRs became the new factory circuit design.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17