Phil
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Early S Junkie # 658

More RRV pics....
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

An interesting thread --- w/ pics . . . .
    http://www.mealsandwheels.com/2010/0...ff-to-le-mans/

We Can Be Heroes

Unknown to her at the time of this article, Gabby's Light Yellow 911 is not the factory ST built for Michael Keyser in early 72, but rather the 471 LW 911 S that MK ordered through Max Moritz (9112301139). The MM dealership added ST flares but the 2.4S engine was retained. MK used the car for driving around Europe during the spring of 72 while working on the Speed Merchants film, and also as a camera car in the 72 Targa Florio. She has since sold the car. The real factory 2.5L ST will soon be revealed after many years sitting in unrecognizable form in the US. It is an interesting story that will be told soon.

One detail of Gabby's car from Classic LeMans in 2010 (#18) that I wondered about was the fuel door on the driver's fender (barely seen in pics from the event). I felt that a factory built ST would not have had that fuel door, which was later confirmed by MK factory pics of the ST being built in early 72.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Great photos and information. Thanks for sharing!

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

A friend just sent this shot from a couple of years ago in a different livery at the foot of the Superstition Mountains near Apache Junction, AZ. This pic shows Harvey's RSR wheel finish really well with the polished outside lips, and the shadows and sunlight work pretty well to show the features of what an ST looked like in 72.
    Last edited by letsrollbabe; 04-08-2016 at 11:57 AM.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Quote Originally Posted by pu911rsr View Post
    Put me down as a LY fan as well-
    Phil
    Me too
    Bengt

Name:  ly.JPG
Views: 633
Size:  54.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by letsrollbabe View Post
    Unknown to her at the time of this article, Gabby's Light Yellow 911 is not the factory ST built for Michael Keyser in early 72, but rather the 471 LW 911 S that MK ordered through Max Moritz (9112301139). The MM dealership added ST flares but the 2.4S engine was retained. MK used the car for driving around Europe during the spring of 72 while working on the Speed Merchants film, and also as a camera car in the 72 Targa Florio. She has since sold the car. The real factory 2.5L ST will soon be revealed after many years sitting in unrecognizable form in the US. It is an interesting story that will be told soon.

One detail of Gabby's car from Classic LeMans in 2010 (#18) that I wondered about was the fuel door on the driver's fender (barely seen in pics from the event). I felt that a factory built ST would not have had that fuel door, which was later confirmed by MK factory pics of the ST being built in early 72.
    https://www.classicdriver.com/en/art...ica-essen-2016

And

http://www.total911.com/porsche-clas...chno-classica/
    Last edited by 928cs; 04-07-2016 at 01:32 AM.

I met the owner of the Michael Keyser 72 911 ST at the LA Lit Show weekend events, and we became instant friends. MJH (Marco) is a real enthusiast who lives in Zurich. He bought the 'rolling chassis' about 3 years ago near Sacramento, CA after verifying with various knowledgeable Porsche sources that it was indeed the factory built ST that Michael Keyser ordered with the help of Jurgen Barth. The car was completed in late 71 and shipped to the US for the 2/6/72 Daytona 6 hr event. This car was #16 at both Daytona and Sebring, and was one of the few 72 STs that competed both in the US and Europe in 72. It was co-driven by Bob Beasley and Jurgen Barth during the year as Michael Keyser continued his quest to compete and film the Speed Merchants documentary.

I was introduced to MJH by Nicolas Hunziker at the Lit Show, and Marco began showing me pics of the restored car on his phone. He told me about the debut of his car on the Porsche stand at Essen (1 month away), and then said...'I need some help with the decals and other details'. I connected Marco with my decal supplier (isaydingdong.com) and he and Tony began a conversation to get all the Toad Hall Le Mans decals completed by the end of March in time for the Essen debut on Apr 6. Many of them had already been designed and made for my car, but several needed to be created because of the different livery at Le Mans, and I ended up measuring various dimensions on my car to aid that effort. Marco also needed seat belts, and I put him in contact with 'Stretch' (David O'Connor) here on this Forum, and David came through with a perfect RIPA set of belts.

Marco's Toad Hall ST spent approx. 2 1/2 years in the Porsche Classic shop getting many new panels since the car was heavily modified (as most obsolete competition cars undergo) and in rough condition. We have exchanged many emails and several phone calls to discuss small details, some of which had not been done correctly to recreate the historic version...(ie; it had a fuel door in the driver fender). Marco is a very humble and gracious enthusiast, and has pursued restoring this famous ST to its original form with a passion and willingness to change things to match historic photos. He consulted with Michael Keyser, Jurgen Barth, and Marco Marinello from Zurich to get many of the details correct.

We will see more of this famous ST later at Le Mans and Le Mans Classic. (VIN 911 230 0538)

Here is an online story about the car...http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/19...s-performance/

Or...go to Youtube and scroll to 14 min 54 sec to see the car on the Porsche stand...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Exnn...&nohtml5=False
    Last edited by letsrollbabe; 04-09-2016 at 09:24 AM.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Here are a few more pics sent by Marco.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17