Thread: Shift Lever Extensions now available

Shift Lever Extensions now available

Back story. Wanting to extend my shift lever a bit, I recently came across a long shift lever (source unknown) with a Target brand ball end that mimics the factory short shifter. It's about 2" longer than my factory shift lever. However, with a Momo Tall Anatomic shift knob, I was able to vary that length due to the longish cavity inside the knob.

Having the shift knob closer to the steering wheel makes all the difference in the world. And despite the fact the longer lever effectively lengthens the throws of the short shifter a bit, I really don't feel the difference. It shifts smoother because of the added leverage and the knob now feels where it ought to be.

Here are the results of some machine work the last few days and now available. On the right is a 3" extension for 901/915 factory shift levers (regular and short shift). There's also a 4" version for WM shift levers (not shown but slightly different dimensions). Note: Many owners realize the short WM lever must have been designed by a person with 36" sleeves or by a marketing decision to provide the utmost shift travel reduction, but at a cost of greater shifting effort, some say.

The material is 6061 aluminum sized for the different IDs of factory vs WM. Insertion length is 2". Recommended attachment is via 2-part epoxy (not supplied). In addition, since it's aluminum, the length can be easily adjusted (shorter) with a hack saw if needed and in minimum time.

The other product is a splice extender for owners with pricey shift knobs semi-permanently attached with the factory crush sleeve. Typical knob removal requires a deft stroke of a BFH onto a pickle-type fork strategically placed under the knob (upside down). However, in many cases, the $200 replacement-cost knob will crack slightly. In the worst of cases, the shift knob will crack greatly.

The splice extender preserves the knob and installs by cutting off the lever midway between the bend and the knob end, then inserting the 3" splice section with the aforementioned adhesive. The splice extender fits both 901 and 915 shift levers.

I haven't confirmed these lever extensions fit other years, makes or models, but a generic, aftermarket shift knob fits just fine.

For now, the 3" shift extension is $20. The WM 4" extension, $23 and the splice extender, $26, Shipping is + $5 (domestic). Overseas, please inquire.

Thanks,
    Sherwood
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Still available?
    jhtaylor
    santa barbara
    74 911 coupe. 2.7 redone by Competition Engineering; ported to 36mm, shuffle-pinned, boat-tailed, Elgin mod-S cams, J&E 9.5's, PMO's.
    73 Targa (much beloved, sold and off to a fine new home in San Francisco)

Quote Originally Posted by jameshtaylor View Post
    Still available?
    Let's seeYes.

Hi Sherwood

Say, are those still available? I´d need an extension plus a splice extender.

Marcus
    '70 E Coupe Pastel Blue
    '73 S Targa Gold Metallic
    Registry #2890

Quote Originally Posted by Sun888 View Post
    Hi Sherwood

Say, are those still available? I´d need an extension plus a splice extender.

Marcus
    Yes. Text me via email: seinetalk@yahoo.com

Great. Sent email.
    '70 E Coupe Pastel Blue
    '73 S Targa Gold Metallic
    Registry #2890