Page 89 of 94 FirstFirst ... 39798788899091 ... LastLast

Thread: 1973 Sepia 911S

What is the black hose / tube along the right side of the engine, beneath the oil filter, along the ledge called? I think it is leaking oil, but not much. Started the car this afternoon, let it warm up. When I checked the oil, I noticed the oil on the ledge. The oil is right where it is suppose to be. On the floor in the garage is a thin line of oil, no puddle. Can the 911 be driven? Is it an ordinary Porsche oil leak?

Thank you,
    Candyce
    '73 911S, #9113301365
    Early S Registry #2027

Candyce

That is probably not a hose at all but the wiring for the taillights. You may have a bit of seepage from the oil filler cap and that is no big deal. Pictures would help us determine the problem. I don't think you have anything to worry about, though.

Regards

Jim
    Freshly painted Sepia Brown 71 911T

Now, I know what that is! I will take photographs tomorrow. I wintered in Florida at my sisters so the 911 sat more than usual. Yesterday, it was started in the garage but not moved. That oil streak is fresh oil so it could be from that first start up. It ran today in the driveway. After it was put away, I couldn't find any oil on the driveway. It is reassuring that I can drive it.

Thanks!
    Candyce
    '73 911S, #9113301365
    Early S Registry #2027

Sounds like it might have been oil spilled during a filter change that then seeped down to the engine rubber seal and then dripped to the ground.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

In looking at the long oil streak on the garage floor, there was no change from yesterday. While talking to the neighborhood kids, and washing the wheels, the car ran. There was cardboard underneath, there was one drop maybe two of oil on the cardboard. With white paper towels, I wiped down the right side of the engine bay. No oil on the side walls, no oil on the hoses, no oil went around the left turn of the ledge, no oil on the bottom of the engine. There was still oil beneath the black electrical hose but I could have missed that yesterday. I might have screwed the oil filler cap on wrong. I am notorious for cross threading all kinds of things. Tomorrow, between showers, I'll go for a ride and see what happens. Just trying to be safe and careful with the little brown car.

Whenever the car is running in the driveway, the neighborhood kids come to listen and ask questions. The new kid of the block impressed me when he identified it as a '73 911. When he looked at the rear lid he said, ''And, it is an S.'' I laughed because so many guys have said those exact words.
    Candyce
    '73 911S, #9113301365
    Early S Registry #2027

Found the oil leak ... Just maybe

After the engine was cleaned, no more oil. I assumed the lid was cross threaded. The car was driven several times but not far and there was no oil.

Sunday, the Chicago Region held a concours about an hour away, all highway, driving. The judges found a slight sheen of oil on the shelf. This morning, it was cleaned up. Then, the car ran in the driveway up to temperature. After poking around a bit, there was oil where the oil filter canister is screwed in, on the bottom of the recess. Don't know what that spot it is called. Cleaned up the oil a second time and again ran the engine. There was oil in that same place.

The oil canister is tight, maybe too tight. The oil will be changed and the car will be checked out. The oil was changed last spring. The car was been driven about 2,500 miles. The car was driven to Parade and back home and the oil did not leak.

What would cause it to leak now?

My neighbors are shaking their heads and rolling their eyes at me, "Why don't you just take it in to the dealer?"

They don't understand ...
    Candyce
    '73 911S, #9113301365
    Early S Registry #2027

member #1515
    You might try taping a blue paper shop towel around the oil filter base. If it is leaking it should show up on the towel.
    Helped me track down a leak around the "triangle of death" , turned out to be the oil breather hose clamp was loose.

I've always thought it not good to leave the car idle for more than a couple of minutes, better to drive it up to temp.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    With an oil change, I would replace the “O” ring between the oil filter console and the oil tank. 73 was the last year with this configuration. I know your car is late, but look for an ALU piece between filter and tank. Could be one of the breather hoses in the engine compartment, but rule out the O ring, I’ll bet it’s as hard as a rock. Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by RSTarga View Post
    I've always thought it not good to leave the car idle for more than a couple of minutes, better to drive it up to temp.
    According to Wayne Dempsey, lubrication is not very good when running at idle. The oil only starts flowing properly around 2000 rpm so you don't want to leave the engine idling for a long time.
    1970 2.2S Elfenbeinweiss
    1972 2.4T Targa Aubergine (MFI) [For sale]
    2002 996 TT Midnight Blue
    Member #3833

Thanks for the tips. I don't usually let it idle in the driveway, but I was hesitant to drive it. I doubted there would be an engine fire but didn't want to take a chance. The fire extinguisher was out.

David, when I saw the saying, ''TRIANGLE OF DEATH,'' I thought oh damn and had to look it up. Of course, I didn't really understand the explanation. But, I did look at the engine and try to locate the parts and check that area for oil.

All of your explanations help me understand the mechanical components. It is vital for me to pay attention to all the details and know what is going on with the 911.

By the way, every day I go to rennbow.org and type in the word sepia!

Thank you!!
    Candyce
    '73 911S, #9113301365
    Early S Registry #2027