Page 2 of 94 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: 1973 Sepia 911S

Hey Candyce,

So glad you found us here. It was so fun last year at the Parade in Chicago to be next to you, Kathy and your special brown 911. It was so fun to listen and look over your shoulder as you showed the judges all the paperwork and told the history of your car. I remember thinking to myself that I was second already at that point.

Glad to see you have continued to learn and show your car this summer. I can't wait to see you in the next Esses.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

It is always good to hear from you Brian. I enjoyed meeting you in St. Charles and seeing you in Goshen and Elkhart Lake. The judges were impressed with the original paperwork from the car. But, they were really impressed with Jim's logbook. I had forgotten the logbook on the dining room table and called a friend early Sunday morning to bring it to St. Charles. It was in my hands five minutes before the judging started. (This year I forgot the jack!) I am adding my adventures with the car to the logbook.

I found all the original receipts for parts, tires, etc. for the car and now everything is chronologically organized in archival sheet protectors. I had the car appraised. The appraiser told me the I am still considered the original owner and all the paperwork adds quite a bit of value to the car. So all the documentation is in one very large binder. I don't mean to brag; but, it is impressive. And, it was a lot of work!

Later today, I will write more about the judging in St. Charles and post some pictures. You and your car, Patrick, are in some of them. (I am still learning how to navigate and post things on the 911S Registry.)
    Last edited by Sepia911S; 08-15-2011 at 03:53 AM. Reason: poor choice of words
    Candyce
    '73 911S, #9113301365
    Early S Registry #2027

Tool Kit and Key Fob

Name:  IMG_1981.jpg
Views: 2032
Size:  155.2 KB

The 2010 Porsche Parade was my very first PCA event ever and I thought I was going to a fancy cruise night. I just wanted to learn all about my car. It turned out to be a life-changing event.

When the judges told me the value of a screwdriver and the tool kit, I was speechless thinking no screwdriver could be worth that much. At the Concours Banquet, Kurt Gibson told me the judges knew they had an "Antique Road Show" moment when they saw the expressions on my face during the discussion of the screwdriver.

I felt something odd was going on when one of the judges asked, "Do you have the key?" I reached into my pocket and pulled out the key we had always used. The judge's jaw just dropped open. Very nicely he told me I should put the key away and never use it again. In my hand was the original key to the car with the little black leather pouch. I still didn't get it.

Much knowledge was gained at St. Charles. But, it took me a long time to understand the true value of this little brown car.
    Candyce
    '73 911S, #9113301365
    Early S Registry #2027

Final Preparations Porsche Parade 2010

Name:  DSCF5896.JPG
Views: 1931
Size:  115.8 KB

In the foreground is Brian Fryer cleaning Patrick. I am in the background cleaning the Sepia 911S.
    Candyce
    '73 911S, #9113301365
    Early S Registry #2027

Quote Originally Posted by Sepia911S View Post
    Kurt Gibson told me the judges knew they had an "Antique Road Show" moment when they saw the expressions on my face during the discussion of the screwdriver.
    Great story, but even better is the look on the judges' faces during that discussion in the picture above!

Welcome and looking forward to reading the back story on the car.

Sepia is a great period color. Very underrated. What a nice car.

At St. Charles, the judges told me I needed to replace the Michelin XWX tires. They reassured me the tires were safe to drive home on. After a few weeks, the search for tires began. Purchasing tires for a vintage car would be a challenge. First, I checked out the XWX tires and discovered they were speed rated and very expensive. Nope, that wasn't for me. Next, I researched a vintage Pirelli tire which was unavailable. Finally, I found Vredestein tires which were reasonably priced and appropriate for the car. Hurray!

While researching tires and learning all about sizes and speed ratings, I ordered the Certificate of Authenticity from Porsche. After eagerly reading that information, I whispered, "Damn!" The next day, four Michelin XWX tires were ordered from Coker Tires. When Jim ordered the car in 1973, he had specified Michelin XWX tires. The 1973 Sepia 911S always had the expensive Michelin tires.
    Candyce
    '73 911S, #9113301365
    Early S Registry #2027

You ARE really getting into this!!!
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by Sepia911S View Post
    . . . At St. Charles, the judges told me I needed to replace the Michelin XWX tires . . . While researching tires and learning all about sizes and speed ratings, I ordered the Certificate of Authenticity from Porsche. After eagerly reading that information, I whispered, "Damn!" The next day, four Michelin XWX tires were ordered from Coker Tires. When Jim ordered the car in 1973, he had specified Michelin XWX tires . . .
    Spare? . . .

Rick

We Can Be Heroes

Wow, those skinny vintage tires are more than twice the price of my sticky Advan A048s. It looks like they last more than twice as long, though.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425