Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying to understand competition long-hood 911s and the Sports Purpose program

Trying to understand competition long-hood 911s and the Sports Purpose program

I'm new to this forum and have already browsed through several S/T, TRs threads on the topic and one big question remains for me: How does an S/T differ from the cars built through the Sports Purpose Program, for example, what does it need for an "S/T" to even exist? Did you simply have to tick a certain number of options in order to have a car that is called an S/T today? For example, does the M491 circuit racing package from the S/T even appear in the sports package catalog? Or -in addition to the sports purpose program - was there another program for pure competition 911s like the S/T and how did the ordering process for these cars work?

In general, I'm confused at what the relation/differences/similarities between a competition 911 and a Sports Purpose customer 911 is.

As you can see, I would be very happy if you could enlighten me about the confusions I have with these cars. Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Tragedy; 01-09-2024 at 12:54 PM.

wow.... if someone can answer this question
    they would deserve a PHD in Porscheoligy

I think the sports purpose program was meant for public consumption. Competition 911's the factory built did what ever was thought was necessary.
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue

Porsche was not alone in this effort. Volvo, ford, bmw, opel, mg, triumph, bmc, among others all had similar efforts. All with catalogues.

It got their cars on the track to enhance the performance image and was also a profit center.

'72 911T 3,0 liter MFI Albert Blue street/DE toy Jeff Higgins's Avatar
    Information Regarding Porsche Vehicles used For Sports Purposes was first published in 1968 for the 911, 911T, 911L and 911S models. The second edition was published in 1972 to cover the 911S and 914/6 models. These were all sold as road going cars. Porsche was, of course also building dedicated race cars never meant for use on public roads. These manuals were targeted at Porsche customers who desired to modify for competition the former, their road going cars, which they had purchased at their dealerships. These manuals did not include the 911R, the 911 S/T, nor the 911 RSR, which were dedicated race cars. I believe most of the latter were ordered directly from Porsche, although I understand some 911R's sat in dealership showrooms for a few years, unsold. Two entirely different programs, the former being modifying your street car, the latter dedicated bespoke race cars.
    "God invented whisky so the Irish wouldn't rule the world."

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    +1, what Jeff says

The S/T wasn’t an official model name back in the day and has subsequently been used to mean different things by different people.

Having said that, there was no such thing as an “off the shelf” race car until 1972* when Porsche sold the 911S M491 in a standardised form. Up to that point if you wanted a 911 race car you had to specify what you wanted. The Sports Purpose booklets were intended as a guide.

Porsche always tried to take maximum advantage of the homologation process and several times created stripped basic models at minimum possible weights. These would then have the relevant competition parts from the Sports Purpose catalogue added to create a race car optimised to a specific set of regulations. Examples would be the 1968 911T, 1968 911L, and 1970 911S M471. This latter car is what I think of as an “S/T”.

* I exclude the 911R as that wasn’t eligible for the main racing categories at the time.
    Early 911S Registry #888

Generally speaking from around the 904 the real factory racing effort was behind the prototypes right though to 917 until the FIA CSI rule changes at a meeting held in London at the RAC changed things requiring them to move the 911 front and centre of factory racing efforts hence the significance of the 911.744 ( 73 RS/R) limited edition homologation special programme of late 72 and its output being sold in unprecedented quantities ( 500 plus 500 more ) to get the required certification by April 73 in both groups 3 and 4. The success that followed had that very specific intentional reframing of 911 to become the focus of the factory’s racing efforts for the coming years as a basis. The sales and marketing organisation were famously reluctant to support the 911.744 (73 RS/R) volume target and have ever since been pilloried for their stance of not supporting the original programme for 500 lighter-weight examples to be sold/ built. But in truth the various attempts to shift 911 made as lighter-weight had not before that date early in October 72 sold in anything like that quantity.

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 01-08-2024 at 01:25 PM.

I don't understand why this inquiry got deleted from the Ultimate S/T (perhaps a duplicate?). I understand, it might blur that topic or not be clear. As Bob says, whoever can answer this issue deserves a doctorate. Regarding S-T, knowing that I might get a scolding for repeating this query, I'm putting it here again since it hasn't been answered in the Ultimate S/T, and it seems to me an extremely important document regarding the S-T and what you're saying. This document, according to the understanding of all the forum members, says what?
    Name:  st1970documento.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  40.6 KB
    +
    Name:  tra2.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  59.6 KB
    "In order to provide optimal sports technical advice to interested parties, the Porsche XG sports department has a vehicle for the above-mentioned trips available. Serious execution for a test drive. Anyone interested in this vehicle can contact the responsible clerks, Messrs. Staudenmaler and Barthhausen, for such a test drive (Tel. 0711-8203 330 or at the Stuttgart-Iuffenefahrt and sports advice facility on or 319).We recommend that the respective VG special salesperson actively participate in such contacts and, if possible, accompany the interested party to his visit to Stuttgart. This must be expressly noted here. that the sports department cannot provide any information about delivery dates for such vehicles.
    The basic equipment of the 911 5 in the sports version can be seen in the general brochure. Subject to homologation by the F.I.A. The vehicle can be additionally prepared for competition in the following way
    1. 911 5 2,2 Liter
    Bored out to approx. 2.3 liters, special pistons and cylinders. Carrera 6 camshafts, special injection pump and throttle body, special exhaust and special clutch, power approx. 230 15.
    a) Motor
    b) Transmission As in the previous competition cars, all wheel pairs are interchangeable, several gear ratios are possible for each gear, different rear axle ratios, limited slip differential.
    with
    -2-
    030202/70chand
    el chassis different stabilizers at the front and rear,
    Vehicle tiafar laid, Grödar rims (6
    and 7) fender weathering at the front and inside
    1-Brake pads, interfloor protection front and rear.
    тебро bucket seats, smaller steering wheel, 110 liter tank (90 litas tank), passenger seats
    last etc.
    However, these modifications k cannot occur during normal
    be performed.
    Running must be taken into account, but must be subsequently carried out in Rigeninitiative Rig by the repair department
    already announced by telex, late December Allen Standard homologated in Group 4. Rikte if Ble thre Type 1.4.70 and then. The Porache Ghopes that dimsar group 2 can be whomologized
    Best regards
    VWPOKECHE SALES GHELLACHT
    THE.
    5th of May
    L.R. Scheid"

Name:  tra3.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  59.5 KBName:  tra4.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  30.6 KB
    Last edited by _gonbau; 01-11-2024 at 07:13 AM.

I once or twice heard Vic Elford, the Monaco winner and racer, say that the 911 wasn’t designed to be a race car. It was a car to sell to the public.
    He said he had to talk the factory into lending him one for a race, for a race on Corsica, he did well and then he talked them into a 911 for Monaco, after winning there the second year around, then he gave the impression that Porsche started to think the car could go racing more often.

Current long term ownership: 63 Cab, 71 911, 74 914